what about this one

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend the 300 Hornady XTP that is not a Mag bullet. I think most people have better accuracy and better performance on deer size game with the non-mag XTP's. JMO

And, yes you want the Black Crush Ribs for shooting .452 XTP's. But the regular "smooth" Black Harvesters may shoot better in your gun. Or MMP HPH24's, or HPH12's, unless your barrel is really tight...

Over the last few years I have about 2000 rds through two Omegas and have probably tried 20 to 30 different bullets and 8 to 10 different sabots and 7 or 8 different powders (Goex Black, Pinnacle, AP, AP Gold, 777 2F, 777 3F, 777 Pellets, 777 Mag Pellets, Pyrodex Select, Pyrodex Pellets, Blackhorn209--I guess that's 11 powders :shock: ) and I am still experimenting :roll:

I know it's crazy--you just have to try them. And Harvester Crush Ribs and Hornady XTP's are a great place to start. Good luck and have fun shooting.

The 300 XTP non-mag work very well in my Knight Elite and Omega. Most of my buds shoot the 300's, but we opt for the Harvester smooth black sabots.. not the crush rib. However, if the 44 XTP you already tried loaded very hard in you gun... then yes, try the crush rib and the 300 XTP. I think you'll like the results as this combo works in so many guns.

Good Luck !

rt_con said:
The 300 XTP non-mag work very well in my Knight Elite and Omega. Most of my buds shoot the 300's, but we opt for the Harvester smooth black sabots.. not the crush rib. However, if the 44 XTP you already tried loaded very hard in you gun... then yes, try the crush rib and the 300 XTP. I think you'll like the results as this combo works in so many guns.

Good Luck !

yes they did load very hard. even if they were the first round of the day. apparently I have a very tight barrel!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you guys think the non mag would perform better. I would like to keep the powder charge 100 or less if possible. Just to save on my already bad shoulder.

OptimaAndy said:
rt_con said:

Good Luck !

yes they did load very hard. even if they were the first round of the day. apparently I have a very tight barrel!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you guys think the non mag would perform better. I would like to keep the powder charge 100 or less if possible. Just to save on my already bad shoulder.

With 100grs of powder or lower.... the non mag for sure . :yeah:

CR

I shoot the 50/40 CR and init is a 10mm xtpmag 200 grain. The CR shots excellent in my Pro Hunter and accurately to 200 yards. It dioes kill deer and i feel expanded appropriately on a long shot. I am going to play w/ some 300 grain xtpmag this spring but am having hard time finding them. I will use the CR as it loaded fairly easily in the pH.

the .452 45 cal 300gr. xtp non mag with the 50cal crush ribs are the ticket in my gun with 80gr. blackhorn. as for recoil i didn't notice any at all but then again i'm used to shooting 12 gauge slugs also so it may have been there but i didnt notice any.

Often we find that switching sabots is more effective than switching bullets,but some times we have to do that to.
One of the best bullets dollar for dollar is the Gold Dot, you might pick up a few different thickness sabots like the MMP HPH 24 and the Harvester Crush Rib and try all the bullets you have with them.
Should you decide that you want to use the XTP Mag bullets I recommend pushing them fairly hard. Lee

Andy

I would like to offer a second to what Lee just posted. If you can find some Speer Gold Dots - they are an awesome bulet. God dots are hard to find right now as the plant in Lewiston laid off a bunch of workers in December and have not been producing sporting bullets. If you are shooting whitetail the .452/250 Long Colt is terrific for deer, the .452/300 grain 454 Casual is also very good bullet for thicker skinned animals. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet and will not come apart + it has a contolled expansion aspect that makes it perform somewhat like a Nosler or Barnes.

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

This is a factory picture - certainly they do not all expand like this but it gives you the idea....

OpenGoldDot.jpg

The hard part is going to be finding some for awhile....

when you guys say to seat the sabot hard onto the powder, how much force are you putting on it?
I have been told to seat it but not crush the powder but i don't see where you could crush it considering its already a powder!!!

OptimaAndy

Well, I can tell you what I do... first I make sure the powder is fairly level in the bore... After I pour it - I will tap the sides of the ML near the breech to settle and level - then push the sabot/projectile down on to the powder. When I am sure it is seated on top of the powder I will give the top of the range rod a tap with the palm of my hand. I am not trying to crush anything just make sure it is very snug on the powder.

thats totally different than what i was told. I was told to push it down as far as i could push it then lift the rod a few inches and tunk it down 4 or 5 times to make sure it on there solid. Can tunking down this way, possibly to hard cause it to be inaccurate?

I don't recommend bouncing the ram rod on the bullet or "hitting" the bullet in any way. I seat my loads with steady two handed pressure to the bottom and then apply what I consider pretty heavy but steady pressure to make sure the bullet/sabot is against the powder. I am guessing it is 50 to 75 lbs. of down pressure...? I've been doing it this way a long time now with all muzzle loaders, whether they are flinters or smokeless Savages and I know I am pretty consistent with it. One of these days I should weigh what the pressure is on a bathroom scale... :idea:

OptimaAndy

I was told to push it down as far as i could push it then lift the rod a few inches and tunk it down 4 or 5 times to make sure it on there solid. Can tunking down this way, possibly to hard cause it to be inaccurate?

I know that some shooters do exactly what you describe, I would still not recommend it. If you have a good witness mark on your rod you will know where you are suppose to be. If you some what level the powder out and seat the sabot on the charge, verified by the witness mark, then that little extra pat you will be consistent and good to go. The other thing to think about you do not want to deform/damage the nose of the bullet at all. One other point I might make - make sure your loading jag fits the nose of the bullet you are loading correctly - so pressure is distributed all around the bullet.

i would say that i am probably tunking to hard.
To bad you guys live so dang far away.

Latest posts

Back