Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
So I decided to go after an "eater" hog this morning. I've got numerous trail cam pictures of this one particular sow and she looked good for the taking. I showed up this morning at about 0600 and settled into my blind. I turned on the Therma-Cell, set-up my shooting sticks, and waited. The feeder went off at 0618. Right around 0700 I saw a brown boar come walking out from the left. Shortly after he showed himself I saw that the sow I was after was right behind him. I gave them a few minutes to get comfortable and to let my heart rate settle down and then I put my Endeavor on the shooting sticks and cocked the hammer. I waited until the sow was broadside and the boar was clear, lined up on her left shoulder, and squeezed. BANG! I dropped her right in her tracks and the boar stood there for a few seconds checking her out as she did the funky chicken. He took off and while I was reloading, he came back for another look. But he took off again.

I estimate the sow at about 80 pounds. Here's the first pic my trail cam took this morning...
OkatieSow090705.jpg

And here's the second pic it took. Notice the dead hog. I guess her squirming caused it to take another pic...
OkatieSow0907051.jpg

And here's what she looked like up close...
OkatieSow0907052.jpg

OkatieSow0907053.jpg

Now here's the double part I was referring to in the title. I KILLED MY FEEDER! After I loaded the hog up I went back and checked out the crime scene. I noticed I had punched a hole in one of the legs on my feeder when I shot the hog... So my bullet went through the feeder leg and didn't deflect on it's way through the hog. I almost didn't notice it because I hit the sow pretty much where I was aiming. I guess it may have deflected a little being that the entry wound was a little forward and up. Being that I was so focused on the sow, I didn't even notice the feeder leg was in my line of sight...

Notice the blood in the background...
OkatieSow0907055.jpg

OkatieSow0907056.jpg

OkatieSow0907057.jpg

I couldn't believe it! How often does something like that happen?!?!

Here's some pics of the damage done to the hog. This is the entry wound...
OkatieSow09070511.jpg

This is the exit wound...
OkatieSow09070512.jpg

And here's an inside shot...
OkatieSow09070513.jpg

She's definitely a good eater. I fried up a small piece of backstrap when I got home and it was nice and tender.

I was hunting from my ground blind at 53 yards from the feeder. I was using my TC Encore Endeavor loaded with 120g Blackhorn 209, a 250g Barnes T-EZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot, and a CCI 209M primer.

congratulations on the hog. That looks like a nice eater. And that Barnes really did the number on that pig.

That feeder leg took a heck of a hit... nice shot. Its easy to focus out on things like that. I once was shooting at a nice buck and ended up shooting a small pine tree first.

i dont care how long you cook that feeder leg it's going to be tough :lol: :lol: congrats on the piggie

gobbler getter said:
i dont care how long you cook that feeder leg it's going to be tough :lol: :lol: congrats on the piggie

HAHA!!! Nice. I'm just glad it's still standing.

Congrats and nice concentration on the target. Great pics too. Eat hearty!

Technically she isn't a hog or a sow. She is a immature PIG that is called a GILT. She wouldn't be considered a sow until she is either mature, or has had a litter of pigs. You don't see Barrow's in the wild, unless they have had an unfortunate accident. :lol: That is how domestic boars are made to taste good as market hogs, by making them Barrows (castration). Some might enjoy the following terms?

Learning About Pigs and Hogs

Barrow - a male pig that has been castrated or neutered when young. This is done so that the meat from male pigs can be eaten. (Meat from boar pigs has a strong odor and taste that is much different than meat from barrow pigs.)

Boar - male or father pig.

Farrow - when a sow gives birth to pigs.

Feeder pig - young pig that is ready to be fed and get ready for the market. Feeder pigs weigh from 40 to 120 pounds.

Gilt - young female hog, usually under 12 months of age and has never had a litter of pigs.

Hog - pig that weighs over 125 pounds, a grown pig.

Litter - a group of offspring born at the same time by one sow; most litters have between six and ten pigs.

Market Hog - a hog that is ready for market. Market hogs usually weigh from 190 to 240 pounds.

Packing Plant - place where hogs are slaughtered, cleaned, and cut into pork chops, bacon, and roasts for the supermarket.

Pig - immature swine weighing less than 120 pounds.

Piglet - new born pigs.

Pork - meat from pigs.

Sow - mature female or mother hog

Swine - a pig or hog, generally used collectively.

Wean - to take the pigs away from their mother (sow) so they are not able to get milk.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/nace/oxhi/swinei.htm

You missed a few Busta. :wink:

BANG! (sometimes BOOM!) - the last sound heard by many pigs, boars and sows.

Phew! - The expression most uttered by someone skinning a boar.

Mmmm - Sound made by person consuming properly cooked pig, boar, or sow.

interesting to see the bullet stayed on course and made a quick kill. Good shot and thanks for sharing

Busta said:
Technically she isn't a hog or a sow. She is a immature PIG that is called a GILT. She wouldn't be considered a sow until she is either mature, or has had a litter of pigs. You don't see Barrow's in the wild, unless they have had an unfortunate accident. :lol: That is how domestic boars are made to taste good as market hogs, by making them Barrows (castration). Some might enjoy the following terms?

Learning About Pigs and Hogs

Barrow - a male pig that has been castrated or neutered when young. This is done so that the meat from male pigs can be eaten. (Meat from boar pigs has a strong odor and taste that is much different than meat from barrow pigs.)

Boar - male or father pig.

Farrow - when a sow gives birth to pigs.

Feeder pig - young pig that is ready to be fed and get ready for the market. Feeder pigs weigh from 40 to 120 pounds.

Gilt - young female hog, usually under 12 months of age and has never had a litter of pigs.

Hog - pig that weighs over 125 pounds, a grown pig.

Litter - a group of offspring born at the same time by one sow; most litters have between six and ten pigs.

Market Hog - a hog that is ready for market. Market hogs usually weigh from 190 to 240 pounds.

Packing Plant - place where hogs are slaughtered, cleaned, and cut into pork chops, bacon, and roasts for the supermarket.

Pig - immature swine weighing less than 120 pounds.

Piglet - new born pigs.

Pork - meat from pigs.

Sow - mature female or mother hog

Swine - a pig or hog, generally used collectively.

Wean - to take the pigs away from their mother (sow) so they are not able to get milk.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/nace/oxhi/swinei.htm

You know how to use Google! Cool! :D

thanks SWThomas
for posting your succesfull hunt ..i see the BARNES 250 gr. bullet did a good job on the feeder leg and the hog .i don't think i could find a better performing bullet for HUNTING than that [for that price] right now u are the only ACTVE hunter on the forum ,we r all shooting into paper targets right now . but ur devotion and updates to this forum are priceless.

also BUSTA thank u for the update on PIGS i learned something new..

Great pig.

Awesome job!!!

Now I suggest you go to the hardware store and buy a wrap around pipe clamp to put on that wounded leg before it weakens and topples your feeder. It's just a matter of time before fatigue sets in and it comes down.

black powder said:
thanks SWThomas
for posting your succesfull hunt ..i see the BARNES 250 gr. bullet did a good job on the feeder leg and the hog .i don't think i could find a better performing bullet for HUNTING than that [for that price] right now u are the only ACTVE hunter on the forum ,we r all shooting into paper targets right now . but ur devotion and updates to this forum are priceless.

also BUSTA thank u for the update on PIGS i learned something new..

Thanks man! I enjoy doing it. :D

I never seen no Google when we used to have to jump the fence, grab the piglets, avoid momma pig, jump the fence holding on to junior (or toss him to someone), "fix" (as we used to call it.. although nothing looked broken) the males, paint them shut, clip the milk teeth, and listen to them scream as you held their back legs.. That was how we made a barrow. :D

I think the only worse job was tusk trimming them boars. Chase them boars (occasionally they would chase you) into a catch pen, lock their heads in, (look around for PETA hiding in the bushes) and then cut them tusks.. How we used to do that was not a pretty thing... Needless to say, when you opened the chute, you had a very unfriendly animal with a sore mouth.

If I wanted a eating hog.. take a young sow, 140# or smaller and head shoot them... Again, that sure looks like fun SW. And that was a beautiful shot you made there. And that bullet looks like one I would really use.. Beautiful expansion...

Back