TICKS :(

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone else having to deal with a high population of ticks this year?

Around here its pretty bad. When I helped a friend with that AR 22lr, I ended up with one on my leg and I'm in the wide open grass! Yesterday while waiting for a prescription, I made my way into Dunham's and bought a couple 45cal brushed. When at the check out counter, a lady had a little pup with her, which took a liking to me. While petting her, I was also checking her for ticks and mentioned so. The lady told me that she checks her constantly and every time she lets her out to piddle. Said she pulled 2 off her yesterday. Then she told me that her and her husband had some work to do and when finished, she picked 22 ticks off herself and husband.
WE NEED COLD, not 3'+ of snow to insulate them in the winter. Anyone else having problems?

When I was growing up in the 80s and being outdoors, fishing and hunting there were ticks but you were able to see them! Since the early 2000s they are very very small! I mean some of them you almost need a magnifying glass to see them! I always put something on me when I go outside to mow the grass or weed eat! I also get some type of insecticide from Walmart and put it all around my house and yard! It seems to help with the ticks and other pests! Always check yourself and pets after being outdoors! My boss contracted Lyme disease from a tick just last year! There's also been 5 cases of Rocky Mountain disease in the county just below me this year!

Every three weeks i spray around the house foundation with insecticide.

After being diagnosed with Lyme disease i began treating pants and shirts with Permethrin. i've watched ticks drop on my treated clothes and instantly die. It repels mosquitoes and gnats too.

Don't treat your clothes with Permethrin containing petroleum distillate. How to treat your clothes with Permethrin:

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

They've let up some in Southwest Arkansas two months ago it was just guaranteed if you stepped anywhere out of your house into the woods you are going to have ticks,, we have other things down here called chiggers they stay in the grassy areas I got down by the creek a week ago and got reacquainted with about 20 of them they don't chew on you until about 2:00 in the morning and they itch so bad the only answer is just dig out the top .8 inch of skin.

When young, we played in the grass, gardens, weeds, brush, trees and even in old ponds. Never even heard of a tick back then. Chiggers though? Oh yeah. A bunch of us guys went swimming in an old pond with a lot of weeds around it and boy did we get the chiggers. Every single parent did the same thing to get rid of them............. plain ol' clear finder nail polish.
For the record.............. not a single one of us went there again.

Around here its pretty bad. When I helped a friend with that AR 22lr, I ended up with one on my leg and I'm in the wide open grass! Yesterday while waiting for a prescription, I made my way into Dunham's and bought a couple 45cal brushed. When at the check out counter, a lady had a little pup with her, which took a liking to me. While petting her, I was also checking her for ticks and mentioned so. The lady told me that she checks her constantly and every time she lets her out to piddle. Said she pulled 2 off her yesterday. Then she told me that her and her husband had some work to do and when finished, she picked 22 ticks off herself and husband.
WE NEED COLD, not 3'+ of snow to insulate them in the winter. Anyone else having problems?
Ticks are sucky everywhere alot of MD is very marshy so we have ticks I wear those mesh bag things that go over your shoes they work fantastic for them getting on your legs

Every three weeks i spray around the house foundation with insecticide.

After being diagnosed with Lyme disease i began treating pants and shirts with Permethrin. i've watched ticks drop on my treated clothes and instantly die. It repels mosquitoes and gnats too.

Don't treat your clothes with Permethrin containing petroleum distillate. How to treat your clothes with Permethrin:

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/
I spray my clothes with the permethrin mix or else I always end up with ticks. I keep our yard sprayed as well but with all the deer, squirrel, mice, coyotes and other wildlife around us they’re hard to control.
They've let up some in Southwest Arkansas two months ago it was just guaranteed if you stepped anywhere out of your house into the woods you are going to have ticks,, we have other things down here called chiggers they stay in the grassy areas I got down by the creek a week ago and got reacquainted with about 20 of them they don't chew on you until about 2:00 in the morning and they itch so bad the only answer is just dig out the top .8 inch of skin.
Sounds like those chiggers wanted to make your visit miserable. Even just a couple are painful and annoying. I suggest chiggerex which also works for other insect bites as well.

They’re everywhere in our wood. I spray my clothes with the permethrin mix or else I always end up with ticks. I keep our yard sprayed as well but with all the deer, squirrel, mice, coyotes and other wildlife around us they’re hard to control.

When young, we played in the grass, gardens, weeds, brush, trees and even in old ponds. Never even heard of a tick back then. Chiggers though? Oh yeah. A bunch of us guys went swimming in an old pond with a lot of weeds around it and boy did we get the chiggers. Every single parent did the same thing to get rid of them............. plain ol' clear finder nail polish.
For the record.............. not a single one of us went there again.
My theory;
I believe the wide spread use of DDT helped control a lot of insects back when we were younger. DDT was outlawed in the early 70's I believe and after a decade or two the ticks and chiggers have rebounded. I was in the woods every day in central Illinois and sometimes all day during the summer when I was younger. I don't remember ever having a tick on me back then.

Yeah since I've been back in Southern New Jersey I'm constantly checking myself. I live in the woods now and they are bad and carry many nasty viruses so use spray. Permetherin is very good. It is a clothing treatment that will last several wash cycles. Not for skin tho. Wally World carries it as well as Tractor Supply and most Sporting good stores.

Chiggers hate me those chiggers, last month had latest bout with them was in woods off the creek and wanted to take a couple of shots to make sure new scope was on paper. I sat on ground and kneeled around some and that night I knew. Hate chiggers.

I lived in New Hampshire for nearly 32 years. Had a house in the woods and spent lot of time walking, hunting and fishing in the woods. around1988 I started having problems staying awake I mean I’d have to pull my truck off the road and just crash for hours. I slept through meals, calls everything. Then I started having bad muscle and joint aches bad enough I couldnt do my job or barely walk.

WelI I never saw a deer tick bite on my body but that doesn’t mean anything cause you don’t always find them and often the big red circle could be in your hair, on your back or never develop. Two years of extensive testing could not confirm Lyme Disease. In fact today it can’t be confirmed, all they ( Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins ) can do is eliminate other possibles and the one that is left is PROBABLY Lyme Disease. Took two types of vaccines and regimens of antibiotics but I’m stuck with this disease.

I’m 75 now and like Malaria it comes and goes you never know. Right now it hits me about 4 to 5 times a year and lasts 6-10 days. The deer tick is so small it’s easy to miss They aren’t like seed ticks like you find on dogs. DDT is best for protection. They are spreading West and as I recall from my days in Idaho there is Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever out West and it’s another bad one. Be very careful cause if you get tagged you’re screwed.

BTW one of the best defenses against these ticks are Guinea Hens as they eat ticks and my vet says can clear areas around a house and barn thoroughly. These birds also roost in trees ( no houses ) and dont need lots of food or care.
Rick

Last edited:
Ticks seem to love pines. I have 21 acres of planted pines and bunches of ticks. Even got Lyme disease a few years ago. One sure way to keep ticks off is rub down with Avon Skin So Soft. Even works for chiggers.

For chiggers, Witch Hazel offers quick and lasting relief.
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/45/05/FE952361-21F7-48D0-90C7-D8C3119AC992/IMG_0509.heic

Not sure I heard about deer ticks in pines but in the NE the experts advise the public that they are found in grasses near woods and clearings. below is a portion of an article about Guinea Hens or Pea Fowl.

“ They free-range and will naturally roost in trees if left without a shelter to sleep in. They are also tick-eating machines. Guinea Fowl International President Cindy Gibson notes that using them to control ticks and other bugs is their truest claim to fame.”

They also don’t take any crap from snakes. Think about it, these critters are nice to have around. My Uncle in Winnemuca NV also says they will run off coyotes at his ranch

Rick
Our neighbor had guinea hens. Had. Between the bobcat and coyotes, she lost them all.
Noisy birds too......... LOL

Latest posts

Back