...Question on powder......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
:?: :?: :?:

A friend of mine just gave me an sealed white container of....American Pioneer Powder FFG and it's already in premeasured loads of 100 grain volumetric equivalent charges.
First off I want to make sure that this isn't smokeless. For some reason I thought all AM Pioneer was smokeless.
Also, will this be ok with powerbelt bullets :?: Powerbelts have a cup on the bottom. Will this have or create a problem :?:
Lastly, will I get a good seal by just setting the powerbelt on the powder?
I'm new gents to muzzle loading and I don't want to blow my ACCURA or hurt a by stander or myself.
Has anyone used this power in their cva?
Thanks to all who may reply..................HAVE A GREAT UP COMING SEASON :!: :!:

Hawgslayer

are the pellets square? American pioneer is clean but its weak and absorbs moisture easily. Give it a try though, you may find the results good. Just push the powerbelt down normally like you'd do with loose or any other powder.

I would definitely get some different powder and some different bullets. Just my opinion though.

I'd go with Frontier Gander's suggestion. Try it. Get used to the gun first. If you decide to experiment later,,there are alot of folks here to help you. 8)

I think you are talking about these pre filed tubes of 100 gr of loose powder? The FFG is very coarse, the FFFG is still bigger than some other FFG powders. Like FG said it will absorb moisture, but that is why they put it in the tubes to prevent. The sticks and bulk loose really absorb moisture quick, I am sure the tubes are better.

The powder is very weak as compared to 777 or Blackhorn 209 in equal volume equiv. It is not smokeless powder, it is designed for muzzleloaders. It is not my first choice of powders, but is far from the last choice. The PowerBelts would be a very good bullet for breaking in your new rifle. They are quite expensive for target practice, and would not be MY choice for hunting.

Like FG & Batchief said, get out with what you have and make some smoke. Once you get the hang of it, then there are tons of other bullets and powders to try. Let us know how it goes.

app_powder_tube_image.jpg

FFG and FFFG in Pre-Measured Loads?
American Pioneer? Powder in Pre-Measured Loads ? is a loose, granular powder that was designed and created to be a sulfurless black powder replacement, pre-measured and pre-loaded into custom designed containers to protect the product from moisture while allowing the user to quickly and easily load this pre-measured product into their firearm. The powder delivers fast and complete ignition plus superior performance, accuracy, and dependability. American Pioneer? Powder in Pre-Measured Loads? are currently available in two granule sizes (FFG and FFFG) and two different loads (100 grain and 150 grains volumetric equivelent charges).

http://www.americanpioneerpowder.com/products.html

:D

Thanks for the replies gents. I use pyrodex pellets now and my friend thought this would help with the burn ring. It's a brand new container and the seal is still intact.
Busta's picture is exactly what I have except mine is 5.03 OZ.
I'm going to try it next weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out :!:

Hawgslayer

:D

Thanks for the replies gents. I use pyrodex pellets now and my friend thought this would help with the burn ring. It's a brand new container and the seal is still intact.
Busta's picture is exactly what I have except mine is 5.03 OZ.
I'm going to try it next weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out :!:

Hawgslayer

Back