Weights and Measures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I met a man yesterday at the range. He was trying to work up a load for a couple new inlines he has. I asked what he was shooting for a charge and he told me 80grs of Pyrodex RS. I wanted to tell him the numbers on his powder measures' stem are just reference marks not weight marks but I think it wouldn't have mattered. I weigh my Goex powders to see what a particular mark means in weight for the different F grades I use. Is there a conversion chart for Pyrodex RS compared to GOEX FFg?

I shoot muzzleloaders only to hunt, and have never used anything but volume measurements, and no, 80 gr of pyrodex doesn’t weigh 80 gr but it doesn’t really matter. The marks on a volume measurement should be close to the weight of Goex but prob not exactly. And 80 gr of pyrodex (by volume) should be close to 80 gr of real black in power/velocity, regardless of its weight.

I will be using 95 gr (by volume) of Blackhorn 209 for my elk hunt this fall and am getting 2-3” groups at 100 yards with open sights. Since that means I miss the point of aim by 1”, I am more than happy with that accuracy out to my max of 120 yards.

Last edited:
When I retire I might actually weigh some charges, but only after I work up a load using volume. In other words I have found, using volume, that 95 gr of Blackhorn works best with my 350 grain bullet. I tried 85, 90,95,100,105, and 110 gr (by volume) and 95 was most accurate. If I now want to tighten up my groups using 95 gr a smidge, I could start weighing them. But for hunting out to 150 yards. There is no need.

And no, 95 gr of BH (by volume) doesn’t weigh 95 gr, it weighs less. That’s a very GOOD thing with the price of BH 209!

Just remember that when most people say “I used 100 grs of this powder”, 95% of the time they are talking about volume. Especially when people are taking about using a “max load” of 150 gr.

You do NOT ever want to weigh out 150 gr of 777 or Blackhorn and shoot that in a standard muzzleloader. In fact the max volume of those Powders is about 120 gr. By volume. Don’t know what they would weigh.

It would make things easier.

Another thing to remember is that manufacturers recommendations are in volume, not weight

I have yet to shoot any muzzleloader with a scope. I have also yet to weigh any of my powder charges. If I get picked for Utah, and they still allow scopes, that will change

But currently, the only valid reason for weighing my charges with Blackhorn 209 is to not lose any granules at the range. It’s getting too expensive to do that :)

Back