Water jug test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble is very few bullets open well at 200 yards that will not fragment apart at 50 yards with most muzzleloading velocities and vice-versa.

The Nosler partition will do well in centerfires but I don't think anyone makes a partitioned bullet in a muzzleloader configuration.

Dave, here are a couple of 452 Mono that I shot last year at 100 yards thru an OSB backstop & into wet sand/dirt. 110gr BH209 was  the charge. Maybe you van use these for comparison- Greg

2012-07-25111647.jpg

Greg, thank you, Just as I thought, when the Monoflex open up and expand,there are more of them and smaller than when the Barnes open up. I guess that is why they call it that!

Dave

Not sure an animal will expand a bullet like wet sand. That's more of a torture test.

Well I tried to further the knowledge gained by this thread but failed. I only had 3 jugs to try and the 300 grain PT gold with 77 grains by weight of BH209 and harvester smooth black going 2006 fps. I thought I would be able to find it in the sand that was the backstop. Well. Hit the first jug about an 1" right of where I was aimng and destroyed the 3 jugs. I couldn't recover the slug but there was some copper jacket in the third jug. So I would say it mushroomed but don't know how much. According to the math it should have been going close to 1500fps and almost 1500ft/pounds KE. 
The weather conditions were ridiculous, 98 degrees, high humidity, but virtually no wind. The winged pests almost drained the life out of me. I gotta get a thermacell. 
Like Muley says I think for the price the PT Gold is going to be hard to beat.

200 yards was the distance I shot the jugs at, sorry for omitting in the first post. Once I get some more jugs and a better bullet catching back stop I will try again and also include the 325 grain .458 Hornady FTX. I think I'm one of the few shooting that one but it is accurate out of both of my muzzleloaders. 

Since I have a chronograph I may try to see what the low end is for a Barnes opening up by reducing powder charge and moving the jugs closer instead of shooting 300-500 yards. Regardless of the outcome I think this thread has some great information and has opened my eyes in respect to bullet design and distance.

Muley said:
Not sure an animal will expand a bullet like wet sand. That's more of a torture test.
One would think that, including me, but what has been strange is the fact that any water expansion tests have yielded the same results.

I have to admit that it surprised me

Latest posts

Back