Unloading a loaded in line 50cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alittlefishy

Reaction score
I
probably know the answer but I’m going to ask in case some of you guys got a better idea I load my 50 caliber after I get on my stand and I unload it when I get out of my stand in the evening and I usually shoot at the nearest salamander hill keeps me in practice any better ideas ?

You can do whatever you want, there’s no right or wrong answer. I leave mine loaded until such time as I unload it on a deer or the season ends and I remove the breechplug and knock the bullet and powder out.
I would be careful of leaving the load in. Black powder and it's substitutes are hydrostatic, meaning they absorb water, and too much leads to no bang. Sort of how that flash in the pan saying came about

I would be careful of leaving the load in. Black powder and it's substitutes are hydrostatic, meaning they absorb water, and too much leads to no bang. Sort of how that flash in the pan saying came about
Actually the real problem is residue from spent powder. I've left guns loaded with T7 for several weeks with no ill effects.

You can do whatever you want, there’s no right or wrong answer. I leave mine loaded until such time as I unload it on a deer or the season ends and I remove the breechplug and knock the bullet and powder out.
This.
I leave mine loaded unless the weather takes a drastic change. The rifle stays in my barn where it’s the same climate as outside. Never had any issues
This.

I load mine the week before our muzzleloader season and leave it loaded for two to three weeks until it closes. Always keep them outside in the garage. I am using BH209. If I shoot a deer it gets cleaned and re-loaded.
This. Although I use T7 and real black.
I leave my gun loaded for the duration of the season. Black powder and its subs are not hydroscopic until they have been ignited. I use real black powder and have never had any problems doing this.
This.
Only clean if I shoot. Otherwise a waste of time. I’d you don’t want to clean it, unthread the breech and push it out the back.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/...leave-unprimed-guns-loaded.58911/#post-566858

If I never fired the gun during the season....
I put a toothpick in the FlashHole and leave it loaded until next season, or the season after.

With the toothpick in there, the PRB or projectile in there, it is sealed.
I have gone as much as 3 years, and it still fires just as well as I loaded it.
No rust, nothing but usually a dead deer. I put a piece of tape over the barrel.

If you have fired it, and loaded it directly after for a second time, you have no choice...
you must fire it or it will rust. burnt powder is a ticket for guaranteed rust.

Latest posts

Back