Trouble seeing the sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With age, I've shifted to scopes, red dots and lasers to help my failing eyes. But when I must go with iron sights, I use a peep backed up with B. Jones inserts. I have them on my Garand, H&R Trapdoor tang sight, and my T/C Hawken Lyman sight. Check out bjonessights.com

Well, for traditional material hunting sights, I always liked a dark iron rear sight and a brass front one, to aid both low light vision and also as a contrast against the hollow-ground dark rear notch.

Here are two of my favorite peep sights on two of my 95 Winchesters
I was standing behind a guy once that was shooting a 95 when the receiver blew up. It had one of those original type peep sights, which we couldn't locate afterward....but did manage to find it a couple of weeks later laying in the grass on the range where it landed. Luckily the guy had only minor injuries, including having to have a doctor remove particles of burned powder from his eyes. The rifle was in a 7.62x54 caliber.

All three of my 95's are the ones made by Mikouro .I have a 30/40 Krag Carbine which doesnt have peeps on it .The one with the Williams is a 30/06 and the other is a 405 Winchester . Never had any problems with any of them all I shoot is my reloads .

I think the fella that owned the original 95 had a problem with his reloading ! I was within a couple feet of him when it blew and I turned the guy around immediately to see what damage was done to him. His face was swelled a lot from the concussion and I put a wet towel over his face and set him down. Luckily he recovered without a lot of damage. I'm sure the reloads in the rifle were the problem, as the rifle is a good, strong design. The rear sight was in good condition when we finally found it and was reusable.

The original Lyman peeps for the 95 go for very high prices, The one I have is a repo one but it was over 150.00 from Buffalo Arms co . They sure work great with aging eyes though. I figured he was reloading and did bad I know they are tough actions.

Since about all my hunting has been in thick woods in the Deep South - actually kinda similar up here - I've always painted the front sight white. It's much easier to see in shade and dim light. Doesn't work as well in direct sunlight, though. It might behoove me to find some TRUE florescent paint. I'm right eye dominant but have a blind spot in the center of the retina which makes it impossible to focus on the front. So, I no longer can shoot to the great level I enjoyed years ago.
Lately I've been relying on sense of smell, sound, vocal echos and intuition out in the hunting bush. :eek: :oops:
I am feeling your pain. Same issue.

Have the same issues with old eyes, unfortunately every time I try a peep sight I see a thread or something running thru the middle of the peep...but it ain't there, so I went with a homemade diopter using a clip on sun glasses. I take out the left lens, find the right spot on the right lens, drill a 1/8" hole (approx) and paint the lens flat black, after verifying hole location I cut most of the right lens away. Works great with rifle or pistol and I can flip it up when not shooting.

Back