Traditions sabot and bullet combos?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjackie

Reaction score
who makes the spire point bullet for traditions?Ihave 5 they sent years back and they are a few thousandths smaller than hornady xtp 250s in 45 cal and load a lot easier in my knight disc rifle.they measured .449 and the hornadys were dead on .452. havent shot any of the samples from traditions but clean gun loading is much easier using their bullet and my hph 24 s. the sabot that came with them looks like a 3 petal from mmp. not for sure.Thanks for any info and help on this matter.

Parker was making some bullets for Traditions but im not sure if they are the same quality. A while back they were selling them on clearance so im not sure if they switched manufacturers.

It sounds like those are Parkers because of the smaller OD. Those bullets are very popular in sabotless/smokeless use in custom 45cal SML guns. They are sized smaller for that application.

Thanks for info. Iam trying to find something that will load easier and still be accurate.having my doubts about the pistol bullets penetration and they are hard to load. i have tried hph 24s and 3 petal with the hornadys and the difference is not very noticeable.

Those are Traditions APB bullets which are Parker Ballistic bullets. One of the online stores last year had them marked down to 8.00 a 12 pack. A cheaper bullet that will shoot just as accurate and load nice is the Harvester PT Gold 260gr with CR sabot. Under 10.00 a 12 pack at Grafs. The Traditions Parker bullets I had were 275gr and shot very well but IMO they are overpriced from Parker. Traditions is now offering the Smackdown bullet which is just a Shockwave (SST).

A Lee hand press and a 451 die are about $50 total. ;) If you already have a press, the die is only $17 and will make most bullets right at .451 with a little spring back.

Harvester, Nosler, Barnes and a few others run right at .451 if you want a tad smaller OD bullet. You could also polish the bore with some JB bore paste and make them a bit easier to load. It wont remove much metal but it will make the bore nice and smooth.

Thanks.i do have 2 presses and i have close to 200 xtp s so that may be the solution.

Lee will make a smaller die but they take awhile to arrive and you have to pay first. CH tool and die makes a bunch that will thread into standard press threads but they are about $65 each.

http://www.ch4d.com/

I actually size mine quite often when i find a sabot i prefer. The resizing kit is simple to use and has a hopper to catch the bullets. DONT try to size a 458 though in one step. Use a 454 then a 451 if you want to size a 458 bullet. Even then its a beast to resize sometimes unless you have a tough press.

These are the ones I bought last year on clearance for $8.00 a pack. By looking at Traditions website they do not carry them anymore. I believe they are a Parker Ballistic.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDctMjAxMTA0MjAtMjI0MC5qcGc.jpg

Omega45

You got a steal on those babies!!

Shot at the right speed they are very effect bullets and very accurate. Yours sure look like a Parker BE but with a yellow tip. You should mic them and see if they will fit your 45s sabotless. :D They have a thin jacket and obturate <sp> very well in that application. If they are .450 or slightly less, i bet those are relabeled Parker BEs.

The other/newer Traditions bullets are relabeled Hornady bullets or bullets made for them by Hornady IIRC.

ATM im trying to get some of the new Hornady MonoFlex 458-250gr bullets. They are listed for sale in bulk (50) in the new 2011 catalog. :yeah: Grafs still cant get them but im on the list along with the Speer 180gr SB 40cal. :(

I sure wish Speer could keep up with demand or make a 40cal for 45 MLs in the 220gr-235gr range with a poly tip. I still think that weight is ideal for both smokeless and sub guns if you want to shoot past 200 yards.

.4495 is what they measure. Too small for the Omega. Would need knurled.

Omega45 said:
.4495 is what they measure. Too small for the Omega. Would need knurled.

Im 99% sure those are Parkers then. Knurl them, add a lubed felt wad and have some fun. :D Hold to the gun on though, 120gr of BH209 will push them pretty fast even by sub standards. :p

Try a heavy knurl on just the top 1/3 if you can so they load easier but are still fairly tight. I bet they would fit my Original 45 with a .450 bore nicely with knurling and a quick pass through a .451 sizing die. :D

They are 100% Parker Ballistic Extremes with a yellow tip. I bought some a few years back, and they are excellent shooters, despite their easy loading 3 petal sabots. Notice the sabot on the packaging is a 4 petal.

They are much too small for my .45's shooting sabotless, unless you really bump them up by knurling. They shoot great in my .5015"-502" bores with BH209, despite the 1 finger loading. Some other sabot with thicker petals might be a better choice.

Traditions seems to change bullet suppliers way too much, but that was a great deal you got on those bullets. Hope you bought a bunch?

I only have 6 or 7 bullets left. I went back a few weeks later to buy more and they were gone. I either got them from Natchez or Midsouth. I played with them some in an origional DISC at 50yds but they really shot nice in a 54/45 sabot in the Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun.
parker.jpg

Back