Traditions Pursuit G4 Won't Group

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've decided on the Knight Mountaineer .45 cal fast twist.

1. Does anyone have some pet load recommendations for particular big game and given distances? I do understand each rifle is different.

2. Also what are your preferred cleaning and loading methods?

Bore Butter keeps my skin so soft and youthful looking and it smells nice. I dont use it in a gun tho. Ive had (have) a couple Accuras and never had the lever catch on anything. I would vote for the Mountaineer .45 if its in your budget. I have a couple DISC .45s and love them with minor changes. But the Woodman Patriot should be considered as an option,too. In .45 1:24.

In my 45 1:20 knight disc i shoot 80grV BH209 and a 346 grn lead conical (330 Gould) and either an 1/8" wool wad or a cut off sabot base. Im going to try some Fury 265 STBs in it soon.

Update:
I gave the Traditions Pursuit one last chance this weekend. Combining all of your recommendations, and the Traditions Tech's advice the rifle shot quit well.

I started off by thoroughly cleaning the barrel, breach, and breach plug making sure no traces of bore butter or any other residue remained. I used 100grs by volume of BH209, Federal 209A primers, and started off with Traditions 250gr, Ridgeback Carnivoirs. I fouled the barrel with a couple of primers and commenced to shooting at 100yrds. First round was a flyer which I expected with a clean barrel but the next three rounds printed a 1.5" group. I fired two more groups still maintained 1.5"-2" group. So I zeroed the rifle and never cleaned the barrel.

Next I shot some 240gr. Lehigh .452 Controlled Fracturing bullets with Harvester Crusher sabots and 100grs by volume of BH209, and Federal 209A primer. I printed a 1/2" group at 100yrds. I tried to repeat that but could not because groups quickly opened up. I contribute this to the light couture barrel heating up and maybe getting to dirty.

So decided to stay with the Ridgebacks for the upcoming big game season. I then ran a few rounds through my Chronograph average velocity was 1997fps. Next I set a target up at 175yrds. Using the first circle of my Nikon P3 BDC 300 scope and aiming at a 4" circle target I sent a round down range. Bullet impact was 4.5" left of center and elevation was dead on.

I was very happy to finely get this rifle to shoot. I'm greatly appreciative for everyone's assistance. Many thanks all!

I do still plan on buying a new rifle because the Traditions trigger SUCKS!! I have no doubt I could have produced better groups with a better trigger, heavier barrel, and better quality.

I wish you a successful and safe hunting season, and look forward to chatting again. God bless!

Thanks for sharing your results and good luck. What did the tech seem to think your issue was, by the way?

Latest posts

Back