Traditions 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmfdred56

Reaction score
So IV been looking at different 45 Cal's for my wife for deer hunting, idealy ID get her a 451 white but its hard for me to hack up a white to make it short enough for her looking at the options I see the traditions 45s are also a 1 in 20 twist. Anyone have any opinions or experience with these guns shooting big lead Conicals?

At one time Traditions sold a fast twist 45 break action with a steel frame. They are pretty hard to find these days. Most companies dropped the 1-20s and went to 1-28 or 1-30. Not sure if Traditions did the same thing or just quit offering the 45s.

Im not sure how much you wanna spend but you could get a CVA 45/70 Hunter blued in 1-20 and for around $200 have a breach plug installed. Total cost would be in the $450 range. They also sell a Scout V2 SS in 45/70 for about another $100-$125. The Scout weighs in at about 6lbs.

I think they dropped the 45s all together but there's typically a few of the fast twist traditions on gunbroker.

Muley Hunter said:
45/70 in a 6lb gun should be fun. Ouch!

The muzzle brake should help some. Still waiting on the report from Carlos or the person that is buying it. He got a few and sent one off to be converted to a ML.

Fmfdred56 said:
So IV been looking at different 45 Cal's for my wife for deer hunting, idealy ID get her a 451 white but its hard for me to hack up a white to make it short enough for her looking at the options I see the traditions 45s are also a 1 in 20 twist. Anyone have any opinions or experience with these guns shooting big lead Conicals?

I have a Traditions Thunderbolt (45 1:20) that I've tried some conicals in (450gr-530gr), very nice light gun as the stock is hollow. Best I could get is about 1.5"-2" at 100 with a 4x scope. IMO, the plunger is the problem - it doesn't seal at the primer like a bolt gun or break action.

52Bore said:
Fmfdred56 said:

I have a Traditions Thunderbolt (45 1:20) that I've tried some conicals in (450gr-530gr), very nice light gun as the stock is hollow. Best I could get is about 1.5"-2" at 100 with a 4x scope. IMO, the plunger is the problem - it doesn't seal at the primer like a bolt gun or break action.
I have one of the Traditions Thunderbolts too in .45 1 in 20. I have yet to shoot it and it still looks new. I only bought it to use as a donor for another build but now don't plan to break it up. Not sure what I will do with it. :think:

Here's another thought that she just text me, would it be possible to buy or have built a fast twist 45 barrel for her little horn?

Fmfdred56 said:
Here's another thought that she just text me, would it be possible to buy or have built a fast twist 45 barrel for her little horn?

It would be possible but costly to convert a Little Horn to fast twist 45. Im pretty sure Bestill has the skills but it wont be cheap even with a Green Mountain blank. You are looking at over $250 just for the barrel blank.

Not long ago, Sportmans Guide had some plunger model Knights in 45 1-30 light contour barrels but that is the closest thing ive seen to what you want. They sold cheap too.

By far the cheapest way ive seen to get a fast twist 45 is the CVA Hunter 45/70 ($225-250) and a breach plug conversion which runs around $200. Luke might do them cheaper than Hankins but that is about what Hankins charges for the 209 plug conversion. Hankins had a blowout sale on his plugs for $25 so he might do one for a tiny bit less while he still has some plugs left.

Little horn is a plunger style gun. Not a great candidate for rework.

Cva 45/70 conversion would do you well.

Back