Traditions Lightning Bolt .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never hear about Traditions bolt guns, who here has one and what are your pros/cons on them?
I was at a gun show yesterday and picked up a LD in .45 1:20” twist. Fired, but not much. Enough light rust showing in the muzzle that i was able to get the seller to come down from $200, to $125. Breech and barrel are very clean so i think it may be worth saving. Ive been looking for a Thunder Bolt in .45 but no luck. I think they offered them with laminate stocks and they were good lookers. Ive just always wanted to compare these to other .45s. I can see by the breech plug that itll probably be a little leaky, it has the type with a little wire around it that keeps the 209 in place. Its not a slamfire, but a locking bolt, so it may be ok with bh209. Rifling right up to the muzzle so conical accuracy should be ok. Trigger isnt heavy or rough, and may improve with a little clean and polish. Synthetic stock is light making it feel a little bit muzzle heavy, but awkward.
I don't hear much of anything good or bad about These guns so maybe there just aren't many out there.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back in the 90's, I picked up a Traditions inline shotgun. I used it for turkey hunting but never scored with it.
I think it was called buck hunter or something.
It was a 12 gauge, # 11 cap ignition. I bought a conversion kit to use 209 primers.
I no longer own it but I have a few parts in my junk box.
Breech plug, spring and maybe a few other parts.
If you need or are interested, their yours free of charge. Just let me know.

I had one, bought it cheap and cleaned it up. On the plus side I remember it being accurate. It was areal mess to clean. Due to the slam fire bolt action fouling got everywhere. I passed it along.

I never hear about Traditions bolt guns, who here has one and what are your pros/cons on them?
I was at a gun show yesterday and picked up a LD in .45 1:20” twist. Fired, but not much. Enough light rust showing in the muzzle that i was able to get the seller to come down from $200, to $125. Breech and barrel are very clean so i think it may be worth saving. Ive been looking for a Thunder Bolt in .45 but no luck. I think they offered them with laminate stocks and they were good lookers. Ive just always wanted to compare these to other .45s. I can see by the breech plug that itll probably be a little leaky, it has the type with a little wire around it that keeps the 209 in place. Its not a slamfire, but a locking bolt, so it may be ok with bh209. Rifling right up to the muzzle so conical accuracy should be ok. Trigger isnt heavy or rough, and may improve with a little clean and polish. Synthetic stock is light making it feel a little bit muzzle heavy, but awkward.
I don't hear much of anything good or bad about These guns so maybe there just aren't many out there.
View attachment 23746
View attachment 23747
View attachment 23748
I hope it turns out well with it bro. Plz keep us posted as to the outcome with it. I'm curious myself. I didn't know they made any bolt Ml's.

I have two in 50 cal. one is blued the other is some coating that looks like a dull stainless or it may be stainless I am not sure but they are good shooters .I am thinking about making the blue one into a smoothbore also it is fired with #11 caps the other is for 209 primers I also have a extra #11 breach plug and a stock and 50 cal barrel and trigger assembly hope to have enough parts to keep they going for a long time You will not be disappointed go shoot and enjoy

A friend had one that he neglected, barrel was a rust haven He asked me if I could do anything with it I said I would try. I used steel wool with JB's at least 50 strokes or more The barrel ended looking like a fugitive from the junk yard I decided to try a couple loads in it I couldn't believe my eyes it shot fantastic So never discount a rifle because of corrosion I have several friends who have Traditions and they swear by them? Good Luck

This one doesnt look too bad. I would like to convert it to #11 ignition so making or finding a breech plug might be the first thing i do, after a thorough cleaning and mounting a scope.

A friend had one that he neglected, barrel was a rust haven He asked me if I could do anything with it I said I would try. I used steel wool with JB's at least 50 strokes or more The barrel ended looking like a fugitive from the junk yard I decided to try a couple loads in it I couldn't believe my eyes it shot fantastic So never discount a rifle because of corrosion I have several friends who have Traditions and they swear by them? Good Luck
I had a 30-06 springfield based sporter that shot one MOA all day long out to 200 yds with just about anything you fed it. I traded it to a friend who later brought it to a gun shop for a front sight replacement. They told him the barrel (original) was shot out and got him to replace it. The new barrel wouldn't shoot better than 2MOA. Moral of the story; I'd rather have a great shooter with a sad looking bore than a poor shooter with a shiny new bore.

Last edited:
I had one in 45 it had perhaps the heaviest trigger on any firearm I have ever discharged. I converted mine to musket caps which made it cleaner however since the bolt has no shield debris would occasionally strike me in the forehead. It can be time consuming to clean .

With all that said with PR bullet’s 260 40 cal it was above average accurate . I wish I had converted it to take No 11 caps .

I had one in 45 it had perhaps the heaviest trigger on any firearm I have ever discharged. I converted mine to musket caps which made it cleaner however since the bolt has no shield debris would occasionally strike me in the forehead. It can be time consuming to clean .

With all that said with PR bullet’s 260 40 cal it was above average accurate . I wish I had converted it to take No 11 caps .
I have some PR Dead Center 260s been shooting them in my Knight recently. They shoot ok in it (45 1:20” also) i will give those a try in the LB. This ones trigger doesnt feel too bad so far. Not real heavy anyway,

Latest posts

Back