Took a short walk after going to the gunshop

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speakin about Grazin on wild stuff

About 1950 to 1954 we lived back in the boondocks in Okla. We raised cattle, had a monster truck garden. Dad was a high steel Iron worker and would stay on the job about two weeks then travel home for the week end and then was right back on the job mon. morning leaving me and mom to ride herd on things. Closest town was Crowder Okla. about 30 miles away. Ran the woods with a full blood choctaw kid who lived about a mile from us in a genuine log cabin his dad built out of native oak timber They lived on thier 160 acre indian alottment. I don't guess the Gov. check was too big each month because my friend was in the woods continually in the spring gathering all sorts of green stuff and huntin mushrooms. Our .22's or home made bodark bows and cane arrows were our constant companions. Nothin was safe. It all got ate, big wood peckers, crows,squirrels, rabbits, possems any thing big enough that was worth the cost of a bullet. we didn't know what a hunting lisence was. He would take me down thru the bottoms pointing out what to gather. They Absolutly loved those morel and beefsteak mushrooms. We liked them too but I figured he needed them worse than I did so I only kept a few. I used to be able to recognize other mushrooms, not any more. It was amazin what other green stuff is edible. In the winter I had a trapline and cought tons of critters. Fox, coon, skunk, mink, possem. Any thing I cought in a trap my friend wanted the carcass. He once told me the only thing they would not eat was an owl or a snake. When I cought a skunk I would get my friend to skin it so to avoid the smell. My friend could skin one and never get much of the smell on him . I never minded the smell much but Mom and my teachers sure did. As an old mountain man once said meats meat. I sure remember those days and mushrooms fondly.
Wayles

wayles

Awesome story, it mirrors my families life during the Depression and other hard times. They didnt know what a hunting license was and almost anything was edible. Grandma is the one that taught me how to catch carp/buffalo fish and find Morels. One year she came to visit US in STL and brought 2 full paper grocery bags of them, its one of my fondest memories.

That and the cow tonque sandwiches she made. :lol:

My grandfather fed his family with an old single shot 410 that i have to this day.

Thanks for the memories.

memories

Hate to ramble or get maudlin on you guys but when I look back on it all it was a wonderful time. I was lucky I guess. I always figured I had about a good of a child hood a person could have. Had a wonderful Mother and Dad along with a great Sister and Brother. I knew of kids growing up under bad circumstances and always felt sorry for them. Work was there in plenty but it never hurt me and there was always time for play. Dad always made sure of that. Him and I would be building fence or putin in a garden, or building a new hay barn out of tall post oak trees and we would hear the old redbone hound tree. Dad would just keep on workin and tell me I better go get that squirrel before it got away. Wish I could go back for a day or two. I could go on but there is no place to stop. Man do I remember some of the food though. Hot black berry cobbler with cold whole cow's cream poured over it. Shoot, it was so thick it had to be dipped over the cobbler. My little Mother could cook! At 93 she still can. No ones grub is as good as Mom's.
Wayles

Latest posts

Back