Today’s The Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sorry, 45
I am gonna only use smokeless
His 50’s in the new G3 are now smokeless capable. That’s the route I would’ve preferred but the G2 available at the time of my order was not smokeless capable in 50 so I ordered a 45.
I started shooting BP caplocks 45 years ago and everything I shot was 54.
I always prefer bigger bores. Even in my modern firearms.

There was someone posted on here they ordered 12/25/23 and received on 3/7/24. That was about 10.5 weeks.
I ordered mine 1/23/24 a month later and it took 16.5 weeks.
So there was some increase in that month.
Hopefully less than 20 for you

Just the basic rifle. 1 in 24.
Brown laminate.
Was going to go with the faster twist, but should do everything I need here in the mountains of WV.
Very steep here. Almost all shots less than 250.
You actually made the right choice on twist. Read Cecil Epp's article on twist on his website. www.prbullet.com

It's my belief that Mr. Epp's articles are older and somewhat out of date. He didn't test a 45 cal, 1:18 twist, smokeless, like some members on here did. Nor do I see that his testing was with any lead harder than pure, Brinell hardness 5, nor did he use Harvester sabots. His hard cast (20 ) LBT moulds and bullets are the only exception.

You actually made the right choice on twist. Read Cecil Epp's article on twist on his website. www.prbullet.com
Actually Cecil was dead wrong. If he was right you would see tons of 45 1-24s at the inline events. They are virtually all 1-18 or 1-20s.

The truth is he had tons of problems getting HIS sabots/bullets to shoot well with heavy loads in the 1-20s. Guys have been shooting warp speed sabot loads in 1-20s or 1-22s for ages but using Harvester sabots. Once a 40cal bullet gets to about 1.1" long, anything slower than a 1-20 will struggle with it. Any twist calculator will confirm this.

My 20 twist shoots great with 275's BtB . In fact the lightest I have used is the 240's in a sabot.
My NEF light weight may could shoot those heavier bullets. Not with my shoulder behind the butt. I shot it one time with 56 gr. of H4198 & a 250 gr Fury. I liked to have dribbled down both pants legs when the recoil tried to break my shoulder

Back