blackhorn cleaning report (non cleaning)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefly

Reaction score
ok guys just for my own experiment i went and shot my gun a trad pusuist lt. had my regular range day then the last 3 shots i didnt swab and didn't clean the gun when i got home. i let it sit just over 2 weeks in my house ac no heat yet i live in fl. took it out today plug came out same as allways no stickin and then rand a hoppy's swab through the gun not a patch, then looked through and no rust at all!! patched it clean and no sign of any rust in the barrel or on the patches. i'm impressed was scared cause i love this gun and felt real bad doin this to it i wanted to clean it everyday real bad! was gonna wait 3 weeks but i just couldnt take it any longer. but the stuff does what they say it does i'm well sure of that.

Cleaning

Please be aware that there have been instances where barrels have rusted after shooting BH209 and not cleaning. The powder itself is non-moisture absorbing but the residue can and will hold moisture. Just thought I would pass this on to you for future reference. I reccomend you clean your rifle after shooting and not take that chance. Especially if you love your rifle as you say you do.

yeh i do clean my gun 100% the same day as shootin it. this was the only time this was done and only time it will have ever been done. it was just one of those personal experiments. do love my gun and it was killin me when i did it. just had to see for my self if the claims were as posted and yep they were and i'm happy to know if ever came the occasion/need for that to happen that my gun will be safe till time permits.

I've had the same experience using BH209. I would shoot and then reload it and hunt for weeks. This is in very humid SC weather. Then I would push the bullet out and clean it. Not even a trace of rust.

Funny....I had this nutty idea that we should all chip in $10 ea. and buy a new test rifle which Big 6x6 would dirty up with BH and clean after a month. We did just that and found it didn't rust after a month!
The gun was then raffled off to the members that participated.
Maybe someone can recall who won the rifle?

Back