Smoothing a pitted bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a lightly pitted Encore 209x50 barrel. The heavier pitting was just ahead of the breech area with a couple small rough areas half way down the barrel. Nothing major. My main concern was the rough breech area. I did the usual, first using Montana Xtreme bore polish and worked it back and forth a few hundred times then cleaned. Still there so out came the J-B Compound and the same process. Bore was better but still getting some rust colored patches. OK, time for the big guns! I put a bronze brush on the range rod and wrapped it with a bit of 0000 steel wool, added a couple drops Knight Gun Oil and went at it. Fifty or so strokes the clean patches. I did this a couple times and I'm happy to report that I removed all the rust from the breech area and the slight pitting half way down the bore is all but invisible. And the bore is shining like a mirror.
Next is the big test. I'm hoping to get it out next week and shoot it.

Will do. Maybe tomorrow or next week sometime. Actually this barrel didn't shoot too bad even with the rough barrel! I have a new breech plug I may just put in it. Who knows how many shots were put downrange with this one.

Last edited:
Not a muzzleloader but a custom Encore barrel I bought from Virgin Valley in a Tactical 20 developed a rust patch at the muzzle inside the barrel and out. It was in a silicone impregnated gun sock. I was in a quandary since this barrel shot bugholes. My solution was to lop an inch of the barrel and recrown it. Gunsmith said use a purple 3m scrub pad pulled apart & wrapped around a 17 caliber brush with some JB bore paste. Worst case scenario is we cut and recrown. It still shoots but it hurts to look at it when I get it out.

Latest posts

Back