Thinking of a 17

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LongRifle said:
I currently use a CZ 527 V in .17 Hornet.  I am loading a 25gr vmax over 8.9gr of Lil-gun.  I am averaging about 3500 fps.  I have also shortened my barrel to 16.5" and also threaded it. It wears a Leupold VX-1 3x-9x with the standard duplex reticle.   Currently it's easily a 1/2 MOA rifle. 

The 17 hornet has performed flawlessly on fox, coyote, raccoon and other fur-bearers with minimal pelt damage a I usually only have a .17 entrance hole and have yet to have a pass through. 

ctXRjNR.jpg
I couldn't help but notice your high scope mount.  What brand do you have on that .17 :?:

The CZ's have an integrated proprietary mount that only fits rings designed for it.  The rings are made by Burris.  I went a little higher as most of my predator hunting is done when it's cold, so I wanted to have room between the bolt handle and scope for gloved hand.  

The scope is an old Leupold VX-1 in 3x-9x x40.  It has performed flawlessly.

Marty said:
Nice setup LongRifle for cold weather hunting :ttups:

Thanks.  This is the only rifle I own that wears a scope.  Everything else I have is iron sights. Maybe in the future, the scope will come off this rifle an I will have my gunsmith add some iron sights to it.  Most of the predators and fur-bearers I have hunted and taken have all been within 125 yards.  Not sure that I need the scope, it's more of a convenience.

Never owned a .17 but have a friend who swears by his.  My caliber of choice is the .22 Hornet.  I bought a Kimber M82 back in the early 1980s and it's my pet.  But I've never varmint hunted with it.  I have, however, killed several deer using that fine rifle.  It's great up to some 225 yards or so; and it's also supremely accurate.  True, it's a reloading proposition but those small 40 & 45 grain bullets are about as cheap as you can buy.  I've owned and liked .22 WMR guns before though never a .17.  Not sure which one I'd prefer.

Hanshi said:
I've owned and liked .22 WMR guns before though never a .17.  Not sure which one I'd prefer.
This would be an EASY decision for me, .22 WMR ANYDAY!! Those itty bitty .17 Bullets are Negatively effected by even the Tiniest breeze. That said, On a Calm Day the little .17s are Quite impressive, I shot some AWESOME 200, and 250 Yard Groups with My Old Ruger 77/17 Setup on dead Calm summer Days

Not so fast.  The 25gr vmax from the hornet has a higher B.C. of .230 far surpassing your. 22wmr using a 40 grain projectile at the highest BC of .133. This it bucks the wind better as the bullet is longer and takes less to stabilize. My 17 hornet is almost dead on at 300 yards , sighted in at 100 yards, even with a 5mph crosswind and has more energy on impact.  The 17 hornet has  429 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards compared to the 22wmr at 170.  The 17 hornet outclasses the 22wmr in all aspects....and its reloadable too.

LongRifle said:
Not so fast.  The 25gr vmax from the hornet has a higher B.C. of .230 far surpassing your. 22wmr using a 40 grain projectile at the highest BC of .133. This it bucks the wind better as the bullet is longer and takes less to stabilize. My 17 hornet is almost dead on at 300 yards , sighted in at 100 yards, even with a 5mph crosswind and has more energy on impact.  The 17 hornet has  429 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards compared to the 22wmr at 170.  The 17 hornet outclasses the 22wmr in all aspects....and its reloadable too.
I am talking Rimfire, 17 HMR

Idaholewis said:
LongRifle said:
I am talking Rimfire, 17 HMR

Roger, you stated "Those itty bitty .17 Bullets" and were not specific.  Between those two, yes I would also pick the 22WMR.  I am not a fan of the 17HMR.  I have seen the .17wsm do a fantastic job out to 250 yards on coyotes.  But I wouldn't poke at anything over a rabbit sized game with an HMR.  The power is just not there.

If shooting under 50 yards, a 22WMR would work just fine- but so would a .17HMR.  You may have some pass-through on light skinned foxes depending on the ammo you choose with the .22wmr.  But if you decide to go with a .32 Crockett- that would also do just fine.  I just ordered my Crockett today and plan on trying it out on some fur-bearers this year as well as using my 17hornet.

FrontierGander said:
Remember guys, I am shooting well under 50 yards here.
At this Distance either Caliber would do equally well, .22 Mag or .17HMR

Something to ponder. The .22 Magnum is the NO. 1 Choice of Butchers, It’s pretty amazing to Watch a 1,000 PLUS Pound Animal DROP Like Sack of Lead from 1 little 40 Grain Bullet Between the Running Lights. I’m not saying the .17 Wouldn’t do the Same, But you don’t see, nor hear of Butchers using .17s

The .22 Magnum is a BAD DUDE! And it’s been that way for MANY Years.

That being said, The .32 Crockett is Capable of More, Quite a Bit more than a .22 Magnum, PRETTY IMPRESSIVE!! Plus you have the “HOW COOL IS THAT” Factor with the Crockett! :D I would go .32 Crockett

Latest posts

Back