Bow range scope for dark canopy ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant make a decision in all my research. I wish weaver still made a 4x38. I think the fixed scopes hold more light at the critical time and leupold no longer makes a 4x33, 4x36 if they did nor the 6x36 or the nikon 4x40. No quality fixed scopes with bigger objectives anymore. I would buy the leupold 6x42 in a heartbeart but its overpriced. I hunt two properties. One within the edge of an open field. The other side of the state, my feeder is about 8-10 yards away. heavy dark canopy, very wooded. I HAD a simmons aetec 2.8-1-x44 and it cost me a deer at the wooded spot. Even at 2.8. Horrible choice and my fault. I have been researching reviews for a 22 mag scope as well (short range calling) and my knight. My old fixed 6x40 went kaput and i have not found the right scope. Wooded spot, all shots are likely under 30 yards. My dad and i put all of our scopes together at dusk one night with the lights off and the window open looking 100 yards out. Used konus 2-7x33, unknown 3-9x40 konus 6x40, old nikon monarch 1-4x20. The cheap 6x40 was the clear winner and only usable scope well beyond shooting light. I did the same test again at my home with a nikon prostaff 2-7x32, weaver 2-7x28, bsa 3-9x32 and an old bsa 4x32 deerhunter. The 4x32 was the winner but not ideal. I got it on a new cz 22 mag for woods calling and i thought it was lousy when i went calling at dusk. Think I decided on a leupold 3-9 rimfire on the 22.

So im not sure which direction to go. Wish i could barrow a bunch and head to the woods to see which one. So im looking at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 ( super bright in store/both eyes open all through dial), leupold 2.5x20, 1-4x20, 4x28 rimfire, 3-9 x40 or 50 with hunt plex. Vortex 3-9x 40/50 with lighted dot. Hawke 4x32 (dont know anything about hawke) or swift 4x40 (only 3in eye relief mixed reviews from old/new owners). Sightmark 4x32 lighted reticle. Not sure about the small objectives but lots of 2.5 and 1-4s in use for shotgun. So whats your experience or go to in these tight dark spots. thanks
I’m using the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 on my Wolf V2, which is my timber hunting muzzleloader. I have no issues with the scope during legal shooting light.

Did the job this past Sunday.

But, I’m starting to lean towards an illuminated reticle for this ML, and may switch to some mid tier 1-6 LPVO. I have several ARs with this sort of optic, and they work great for hunting where distances are on the short to medium range.

A Vortex Viper 1-6 might be the new scope for this rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
+2 on the Hawke scopes. I would offer than the Leupold 6x isn’t over priced, it’s just more than you might want to spend - there’s a big difference.

I ran a no magnification 2moa red dot on my Howa mini in 762x39. No issues at dawn or dusk, strongly recommend. If you need magnification, lots of options available to pair up with various dot sights

I don't think you need a fixed magnification scope.You can get a variable mag. scope and leave it on the lower setting.I prefer a large objective diameter scope to gather more light.I have a scope with the red/green lighted reticle that I never turn on.I found that as the light fades I was constantly adjusting it down and then there is a battery you have to worry about going dead.I like my Burris scopes and I have a Hawke crossbow scope that is super.

I don't think you need a fixed magnification scope.You can get a variable mag. scope and leave it on the lower setting.I prefer a large objective diameter scope to gather more light.I have a scope with the red/green lighted reticle that I never turn on.I found that as the light fades I was constantly adjusting it down and then there is a battery you have to worry about going dead.I like my Burris scopes and I have a Hawke crossbow scope that is super.
x2. By the time i need illumination, its too bright even on their lowest setting. And im always worried it’ll be dead anyway, from leaving it on. So i just never use the illumination on my crossbow scope. If its too dark to see w/o it then i gotta pass on the shot.

I agree, michiganmuzzy..Its easier to focus on the cross hairs than a red or green blur.Often you can't see what had happened until the smoke clears and you will need a little light to check the area where your target was standing.I don't like running around in the woods with a flash light looking for a blood trail and I don't want to leave a snack for the yotes!

I recently watched an interesting video on scopes and found out by the manufacturer on the video that tube diameter does not play a role in light gathering ability. Light gathering comes from the size of the objective and the quality and coating on the glass.
So based on this, for low light, I'd opt for a scope with a min of 44mm objective, with a 50mm even better.

Last edited:
For the season I picked up a crossfire 3-9x50 lighted at the last moment. Kept it on 3 and took a buck at 25yds at the thick hill country spot. This crosfire seemed brighter than past crossfire's ive looked through in the past. While looking through several of limited available scopes at cabelas, the brightness and image seemed larger and brighter than x40's i was looking at (leupold/burris). Looking a cougar at the opposite end of the store. Not sure if it was the larger piece, the 50mm or the combo of both.

However in the end it felt large and bulky. I would love to take a box full of different scope styles and sizes to the stand. I measured the scope and noticed it was 9 inch to the base of the objective. Looking at it from that point on back reminded me of the some 1-4/4x28. We did get half the farm, so ill still have to long shot/short shot. I missed the post of the burris 1-6x42. That would be ideal too. Seems that style has went by the wayside from manufacture's these days as well. I noticed bushnell dont even make a fixed scope. Plus with the loss of weaver and nikon seems like less tradional and innovative offerings for hunting that many were accustomed to.
Maybe im too picky, think im just going to experiment for awhile till i find the one.

You cant evaluate a scope or any optic device in a store.There is a huge difference between indoor light and out door light.You probably cant see more than 30 yds. in a big box store.Ask them if you can take them out to the parking lot to evaluate the ones you are interested in.I'll bet they look at you like you are from another planet.Be sure to look thru both ends of the scope.You will be able to see the finish on the inside of the tube looking the objective and some times pick up imperfections you wouldn't see thru the ocular.BE PICKY its you $.Check out some of the scopes your hunting buds are using and keep an eye here for lnfo.

I recently watched an interesting video on scopes and found out by the manufacturer on the video that tube diameter does not play a role in light gathering ability. Light gathering comes from the size of the objective and the quality and coating on the glass.
So based on this, for low light, I'd opt for a scope with a min of 44mm objective, with a 50mm even better.
This is correct. The statement that a 30mm tube steers more light than a 1” tube should go on the bin with all the other old gun store tales.

Tube diameter has nothing to do with tube diameter. A 30mm tube DOES provide more elevation and windage adjustment. So 30mm tubes make a lot more sense for long range scopes here the shooter plans to dial to account for distance & wind.

This is correct. The statement that a 30mm tube steers more light than a 1” tube should go on the bin with all the other old gun store tales.

Tube diameter has nothing to do with tube diameter. A 30mm tube DOES provide more elevation and windage adjustment. So 30mm tubes make a lot more sense for long range scopes here the shooter plans to dial to account for distance & wind.

We might disagree on one thing… 😂

IMG_4325.gif

Latest posts

Back