They're all T/C's soooo...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Hawken .50 and two .50 Renegades. Both require Harvester crush rib sabots for 230 - 250 grain .45 XTPs.
However! The ramming pressure necessary with the Renegades is ridiculous. At least half again that of the Hawken. I've noticed it in other Renegades I've had, so it's not a fluke.
I would imagine them being 50s and 1-48 twists, that the rifling buttons and specifications would all be the same.
Guess not.
Wonder why?

I have a .45 T/C Hawken with a tight bore, have no trouble using prb's or REAL 200 gr conicals. When i go to a Harvester 45/40 sabots either smooth or crushed rib its a hard 2 hand load process. I have a Renegade .54 & have not put the 1st shot through it yet. I plan on working up a few loads for it in diff conicals n sabot loads. So much to do n so little time to enjoy them.

It seems these days that muzzleloader bores are becoming more uniform. Years ago a .50 cal could be anywhere from .500 to .504". Slugging your bore was the only way to determine what bullet diameter you needed.
Heck that's why you can but sample packs for bullets that range from .499 to .503" and balls for say a .50 cal 490 and 495 with patch thickness from .010 to .020+.
Without slugging your bore it can be a crap shoot with older rifles

crap shoot, .... glad I wasn't there
Ewwwww ! What is that terrible smell. I talked to the prior owner of my Renegade .54 on sabots. He told me the Red Harvesters is what he used n they were a good fit with .451, but real snug with .452 n made then a 2 hand load with factory ramrod. My Hawken .45 is a heavy 2 hand using .451. My Lee sizer is a .451 n i do 3 passes on each lead bullet. Great for accuracy but a pia for hunting.

Last edited:
Well as long as we're talking differences in bores my Knight Moutaineer bore was slugged at .4505". That is tight. I can't even start a .451" conical down this bore. So its not only T/Cs that vary in b ore diameter.

Back