The Wolf that could

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Finally was able to get the Wolf out today. Beautiful warm weather, T shirt weather actually.

I started with some 300gr Aerolite Powerbelts, 100gr Blackhorn209 "71gr Weight" CCI 209M primers. 100 yards.
First and second shots are touching and #3 went off a bit.

1- 3/8" center-center
DSCN1515.jpg

Switching over to the 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt and the same powder charge as before.

7/8" Center-center
DSCN1518.jpg

And no BS, We have about 6 to 12" of snow on the ground and it was 72* yesterday and today its 60*.

T shirt weather i tell you!
DSCN1520.jpg

yep. It really likes the 250 aerolite. I got all my stuff ready to roll tomorrow. Supposed to be less windy too.

Went out to the range again even though the wind was horrible. I had gusts so bad that it took my rifle case and threw it half way down range.

I also threw some 100gr blackhorn209 and 250gr Aerolite Powerbelts down range as well.

DSCN1534.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg

DSCN1537.jpg

Im not sure what it measured center to center but a new 2010 penny covers it.
DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

I didn't have a pass out feeling today after i squeezed off the 3rd and final shot, just almost puked LOL. I was looking through the scope and when the smoke cleared i was like WTF, did it cut another hole in the center of the last 2 shots?

Cool down baby! It matters. It gave it around 3 minutes to cool down between shots.

That is without doubt some great shooting there. That rifle is all set to go.

.363" center to center!

going to load up more for tomorrow! Im really damn glad i decided to spend some more time with this lil gun.

great shooting ..great little ML for the price ..i can see you did your homework on the range also nice set-up ...the WOLF reminds me of my first ML i had ROSSI cheap but it did a good job on the deer ..i am 66 years and after 40 odd years of hunting my choice now is the T/C ENCORE . we all know that with practice most new MLers will harvest deers if we do our part ..

A very good point black powder. Most of the new muzzleloaders out to 100 yards lets say, are deadly deer quality shooters. The trick is finding the right load and powder charge. As FG here demonstrated. A Wolf which is technically the bottom (if there is such a thing anymore) of the CVA line can shoot that well. He knows the charge and the load. And with optics can really show what a rifle can do.

Any of the brands out there can do the same. It just takes the time to learn what the rifle likes. After that is is nothing but bulls eyes. Although everyone has ... one of them days it seems when every thing goes wrong.

Very nice. Out of curiosity have you ever tried the thors out of it? Guy I know just bought one, shoots good at 50 with 100gr of BH209 and 350gr FBPs, he just got a sizing pack of thors from Terry and it looks like the .502s are what he needs.

i have shot some thors out of it and got around a 2" group with 90gr BH209. I need to get more thors later this spring and dial them in with the wolf. Mine uses the .500 thor.

Thanks. He said the .500s slid down his, .501s loaded easily and the .502s were harder to start then loaded with medium effort.

He's going with 100gr BH to start, hopefully it'll be enough of a kick to get good obturation.

As always good shooting.

how do you get a penny down er muzzle?

Cell

how about some 5 shot groups or more maybe? this will help tell the story of what its doing. i've shot quite a few tini groups too when going 3 at a time... :wink:

i can try 5 shots next time. We have hurricane winds right now lol so it may be a while. It actually RAINED last night!

Latest posts

Back