The Traveling Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel obliged to post that the plug was returned by frontier gander/MountainDevil54 a few days ago. It looks just like these pictures he posted earlier.

DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

DSCN1162.jpg

The threads are just as ugly as the pictures show, however the plug threads with no issue what so ever, into my rifle. If one looks closely at the pictures, one can detect a more silvery appearance at the ends of the threads. This exists, because i had did my best to remove roughness with a wire brush. After working these edges with a file and a wire brush, it was tested in my rifle, and when it threaded smoothly, it was mailed.

Frontier gander/MountainDevil54 wrote of 2 issues with this plug, one was the threads not working in his rifle, and the other was the depth of the primer pocket. He wrote that the primer pocket was made too deep. He wrote he was having issues with blow back, and this was because the pocket is/was too deep. This, of course, is false, but i believe it is my fault he thought so. You see, i never informed him that this plug is 0.011" longer than an OEM plug. Without a caliper, he couldn't have known this, and thus, when he experienced blow by issues, he thought it was because the primer pocket was too deep.

We never communicated, so i don't really know what happened in Colorado, but i am guessing he tried to use W209 primer, and they were too long. Had i known he was having issues, i would have recommended he try CCI, or STS primers. One of these may have worked perfectly in his rifle with a slight crush, and resulted in a tight seal, with zero blow by.

In hindsight, it seems to me, i may have tried to accomplish too much with this plug. The plug sent, was designed to be 100% reliable with BH209, and it was also designed to reduce blow by. Had i communicated this, i feel he would be happy with this plug. Perhaps not. At any rate, before i received this plug back, i sent him another, that has a near identical head space as an OEM plug. Using this replacement plug, should be just like using the OEM plug, except, there will be better ignition whilst using BH209. Believe me, i also filed, and polished the threads, so they would be much prettier, than the pictured threads of the first plug sent him.

Ron, is that plug for a cva, accura by chance?

Would love to test it in my buddy's dad's gun if possible, with CCI reg primers.

It was tight/loose in my Accura with tape on it. With Winchester W209's i did not get a crush fit which allows blow by to get up around the neck of the primers and gum them up.

Its no biggy though. I like the design but it just wasnt fitting correctly in my threads.

Good deal!

I think all you guys are stand up people here. I did see the thread over on the other side...thought it was should have been dealt with a little better.

FG is MD? lol

Sorry...nothing constructive to input but my thoughts from above still stand.

happy holidays everyone. If I stick a pig here soon Ill post up on the bowhunting thread.

Cell

Remember tolerances for muzzle loaders are generally very loose and sometimes fitting to a particular gun is individually required.

Latest posts

Back