The top choice: T/C Encore vs. Knight long range hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrexco

Reaction score
OK Guys,
I looking for advice on which is the better choice.

Both seem to be top models in the BP arena.

What are the pros and cons for each?

Why should I buy one over the other?

I'm looking to "pull the trigger" on one of these in the next couple of days.

Convince me on which to buy!

Thanks of all your knowledge

IMO , if you want a dedicated ML, buy the Knight. I had an Encore Endeavor and I was not happy with it at all. They have a rotten trigger(100.00 for trigger job) they have a problem with loose hinge pins( 30.00 fix) and in my case. i had a barrel with a bad QLA. For the price you pay for them these things should not be an issue. T/C has also quit making them in stainless. All they make now are painted and blued rifles and hand guns. In all fairness a lot of people love their T/C's and they shoot very well for them. Mine did not.

OK Guys,
I looking for advice on which is the better choice.

Both seem to be top models in the BP arena.

Both do offer top of the line ML's and take care to offer a good product. I would suggest that you might look at the Mountaineer vs. the LRH and take an even closer look at the new Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

What are the pros and cons for each?

Most TC's are excellent sabot shooters but struggle with conicals, the Knight is an excellent sabot shooter and does not have the QLA and shoots big conical excellent.

Why should I buy one over the other?

I'm looking to "pull the trigger" on one of these in the next couple of days.

I can tell you this one for sure... pulling the trigger... The Knight will come with a fully adjustable Match Grade trigger. The TC no adjustment but you can buy spring kits from vendors - take the TC mechanical trigger apart change springs - hone parts and get a lighter smoother trigger.

Convince me on which to buy!

Thanks of all your knowledge!

Thanks, all very interesting

forgive my ignorance, what is QLA? Only thing I can image is quick lock action??

The Knight website is pretty bad at showing what are the different features (and differentiation) between the models.

What are the major differences between the Mountaineer and the Long Range hunter?

Thanks!

The Long range hunter has a really bulky stock and is somewhat on the heavy side. You should see one in person before buying one. They are very accurate with the right loads.

I own one but because it is so nicely made it gets babied. I tend to grab another gun for foul weather hunting or slip hunting.

I would take sabotloaders advice and look at the Mountaineer. It may be a better all around gun for your needs.

I have held a TC prohunter and like the feel of the gun but have never owned one or shot one. I'll defer to people who own them. good luck

I've been biased for a few years. I've also sighted in with guys & their T/Cs, hunted with them too.

When it comes to range work, or putting deer on the meat pole, I know of none better. Speaking of trigger, you won't find better than a Knight. They are very simple for the owner to adjust. Like most anything, there's probably a way to mess the procedure up.

In reality, the edge goes to the shooter who spends range time experimenting with loads and getting to know the rifle. More $$ spent on a gun doesn't directly equate smaller groups or larger bucks.

I own an Encore Pro Hunter and 3 Knights.

My Encore I had to pay for a trigger job but sent them to Knight who did them for free. I do not like a trigger with creep or one that breaks at more than 2-1/2 pounds. For me it's worth the upgrade.

The Encore I had to purchase a 1x hinge pin plus locking bolt springs to tighten things up. Parts only I did the work in a few minutes.

The Knight Disc Elites I had to purchase the NPJ breech plug kit to be able to shoot Blackhorn 209 powder. It was worth the investment.

I give the 45 & 50 caliber Knight Disc Elite the edge on accuracy and purchase price. They are no longer sold but you should be able to find one NIB if you keep looking but there is nothing wrong with purchasing a used one if it is taken care of.

Cabelas has a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on sale right now if you need more help spending your money. I picked a couple up for $299 during a short in store sale but $349 is not a bad price either.

I do like the option of swapping out barrels on the Encore so that is a plus but with a little shopping around you should be able to get a Knight Disc Elite with Zeiss Conquest scope for nearly the same money as an Encore Hunter.

HawgHunter said:
Cabelas has a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on sale right now if you need more help spending your money. I picked a couple up for $299 during a short in store sale but $349 is not a bad price either.

Cabelas has the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with BDC on sale now for $129.

You guys aren't making it any easier! :?

I've always gravitated to target stocks, I guess that's why I liked the long range hunter.

Is there any worth in looking into a Traditions or CVA? They seem more like entry level.

My gut tells me Knight is probably the best price /performance, but the Encore has better/more features with it's versatility.

What do you guys think about a NIB Knight LRH in stainless with laminated stock delivered to my door for $575? It just "smells" of a killer set up......

Is that a good deal, or a fair price?

I have 3 Knights (.45 and .50 Disc Elite, .52 Extreme) and I have owned 3 other Knights (2 different .50 Wolverines and a .50 Disc Elite). I have a TC Omega .50 and a Encore .50. The TC guns are a lot more accurate than my Knight guns with sabots and high performance loads.

I like the Knight guns. I like the balance, the double safety system, and the overall quality of the gun. I have upgraded my guns to laminated wood stocks and bedded the actions properly. I just don't get as good accuracy out of the Knights with the bullets I want to use at the velocities I want to use.

adrexco said:
Is that a good deal, or a fair price?

It's not a steal. I think a little on the high end.

If you like the bench rest style stock the LRH may be for you. I have a Sako M95 center fire rifle. It's a beast but I'm not much for walking around when I hunt. I never minded carrying it to my ambush spot.

Now I'm a MZ hunter but a big heavy gun has never scared me. I like the reduced felt recoil and a good solid shooting platform. Just my two bits.

Back