The Retriever, for bore cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
Do any of you use The Retriever to clean your ML. I am thinking of buying one. Are they worth the money? Do they wear out? Is it a must have item?

I bought one on closeout from Cabelas a while back but my .45 cal Disc Elite has been on loan so I can not use it. I will try it soon.

I purchased one earlier this year and at the time I was shooting Triple 7. IF I were going to keep shooting T7, I would see the need. It busts a crud ring really good and takes quite a bit of fouling from the bore. I even tried it after spit patching and swabbing the bore ( directions say to swab first anyway) and it was still removing quite a bit of fouling. As far as wearing out, I think it would after time because it is a brass or bronze scraper. I have tried it without patching since using Blackhorn, but it didnt take near the fouling out and this was after about 20 shots, so I say its probably not near as useful with the BH209.

Something I would like to add, I was only using mine for range time- I do not think it would be necessary or practical for hunting.

I purchased one for my Omega, it doesn't really do much for me. If I use a hot primer and heavy load of T7 it is good for breaking down the crud ring. However it seems to fit too loose in my bore for anything more than that.

Back