The MK-95 Magnum Elite (Pic Heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
Since I posted about finally getting an MK-95 in .54 caliber, I have received several pm's asking various questions about the ignitions for this rifle. Compared to the Plunger and disc series rifles this model is not as well known so I thought I might take some time this afternoon and get some more pictures and post a bit about the rifle for those that are not familiar with it. I can say that I am not an expert on the history of the rifle but can tell you what little do know or believe to be correct.

This model was out in 1995 (I believe) and was discontinued in 1997 (This I do know). I first heard about the MK-95 from one of the guys at Knight rifles in December 1997. I had called about the "Brand new to the Market" DISC rifle (Original with Orange Disc). I got to see one of the first rifles on a company trip to Dallas TX and they had one at the Bass Pro in Grapevine. I had a problem with the Stock not fitting me on this new Disc rifle and was trying to see if they had any options to get one to fit me (LOP), but they did not. After a little more conversation he asked me if I had ever seen the MK-95, actually I thought he had meant the MK-85 and I told him I was more interested in the way the action sealed up with the Discs verses the plunger action and that is when he explained to me what the "MK-95 Magnum Elite" was. I told him I had not heard about it or seen any pictures of it but it sounded like a Great alternative for what I wanted. This is when he did tell me that it was just discontinued but there were some "out there". He told me to check around (they did not have one in stock) but that he would send me the brochure and if I could not find one to call him back (I really wish I could remember his name) and let him know and he would locate one for me. :shock: 8) I received the brochure via FedEx the very next day!! :shock: :shock: 8) I was completely caught off guard by this type of service. I think that is when I became a Die-Hard Knight lover. :D Now this all took place at the end of 1997 and I was not online but had a couple mail order places, such as Natchez, that I dealt with. No one had one and most never heard of it. I took the brochure to one of my local gun shops and after several phone calls he located one at one of the jobbers he used. The next weekend a new MK-95 .50 cal was in my hands. I started all of this because I was going Bear hunting in Maine for my 2nd time and wanted to use a Muzzleloader, good excuse for a new rifle right? :wink: So I have been shooting my first MK-95 for 16 years now and I would never part with it. Since then I have acquired one more .50 cal and now the .54cal. I even have my eye on another .54 I have since located. :roll:

Hi My name is Shawn and I am addicted to the Knight MK-95! :roll: :lol: :lol:

The rifle is the predecessor to the Disc based rifles. I think in the pictures you will see it really is a modified MK-85. The real neat feature to this rifle is that you can use the standard #11 plunger ignition or with the swap of a few parts you can use the Large Rifle primer ignition known as the Posi-Fire. The #11 plunger ignition is the same type ignition as found in the MK-85. The Posi-Fire ignition Kit contains a Bolt, shortened plunger, different breech plug, and bolt detent. The Posi-Fire ignition uses a Speer .38spl Plastic Target case in place of the Disc. The Speer plastic Target cases use a Large Rifle primer (no powder) to propel a plastic bullet for practicing indoors, but in this rifle it also seals the action just like the Disc does. I liked the idea of the sealed action and the little hotter ignition. I have never actually used the #11 ignition on the MK-95 but I do use it in the MK-85.

Here is the first rifle I got with the Posi-Fire ignition Kit installed.

This is the parts for the Posi-Fire Kit.

The next 2 shows the Breech plug up and down, Speer case side first.

Powder side of the BP.

This is pic shows both sides of the bolt with the firing pin installed.

In this picture the pencil is pointing to the small spring loaded ball detent for holding the bolt in the closed position, you can see the small divot drilled in the bolt just between the detent and the bolt handle at the bottom of the bolt handle slot.

This picture shows the parts of the #11 ignition.

This is the rifle with the #11 ignition installed, notice the detent is not installed for this ignition. If you ignore the cutout it looks like an MK-85.

All 3 of mine have Timney triggers too. I have no idea if they used any of the other triggers in these or just the Timney. Last time I spoke to Gordy, he told me that at that time the only available part from them was the Breech plug for the #11 ignition. This is unfortunate, but I have managed to pick up a spare Posi-fire kit and a couple Breech plugs plus the second .50 cal was bought for a Parts rifle even though it shoots great too. I should be ok on parts. So far the breech plug in these rifles seems to last a very long time. Not sure why that is but I have never really had problems with accuracy due to worn flash holes. Maybe I don't shoot them enough to wear them out but I do have several rounds on the original one and I know it is more than some have shot in other rifles and had to replace the plugs. I really can't say why that is, but I am not complaining. :)

Well sorry it was long and pic heavy but hope this provides some useful information on the MK-95 Magnum Elite and it's ignitions.

Your Welcome, They pretty much feel like an Mk-85. They just Feel good and fit me real well and that is why I love them.

I forgot how many pm's I got, sort of surprised me, but thought this might help. Not too many ever heard of it let alone seen one, some thought the "95" was a typo and thought I meant "85" so they got curious about how I was using the Large Rifle Primers. I don't think Knight really advertised it much either. It would be cool to know how many they actually made. I think some guys stay away from them for a couple reasons. First it was Discontinued, no parts, and little info out there on them and second because there are too many parts to take apart for cleaning as compared to a Disc rifle or even a plunger gun for that matter. Then again if that second reason is an issue then they must know a little about them. None of those things ever bothered me, at least at the time I knew Knight had parts and would for a while. The Big Box stores never carried any parts either that I know of. When I first found that the parts were getting scarce I then started to pick up a few things, just incase. But I never really had a problem since they are pretty tough.

My Brother nicknamed my first .50 "Ole Reliable". Some of the seasons I would take out a shotgun of some other gun and miss a deer, come in grab the Mk-95 and go back out first deer I saw hit the dirt. One day he said you should just always start with "ole Reliable" then play with the other stuff. :lol: I eventually gave up hunting in Ohio with anything else.

I did find this other .54 recently (10 years I only saw one now in just a few months located 3, one with your help) and I just keep looking at the ad, it's been listed a month now. :roll: I have a hard time not digging into the piggy bank and buying it. It just keeps calling to me and if it don't go soon I might have to cave in. It has the black composite like my original rifle in the pictures but is listed as never fired.

I read about the existence of a Posi-fire ignition model with the Magnum Elite name in one of the articles on Chuck Hawks site and wanted to see what it looked like. Thanks for the excellent info.Thinking you may have grabbed up a few of a truly unique and collectible Knight rifle. Living in Oregon, I am limited to open breech in dedicated ML season so I stick with the plunger guns and Western kitted guns, but if I run across one of those at a decent price I will definitely grab it.

Great tutorial Shawn. The secret is really out now! lol

Bearstopper said:
I read about the existence of a Posi-fire ignition model with the Magnum Elite name in one of the articles on Chuck Hawks site and wanted to see what it looked like. Thanks for the excellent info.Thinking you may have grabbed up a few of a truly unique and collectible Knight rifle. Living in Oregon, I am limited to open breech in dedicated ML season so I stick with the plunger guns and Western kitted guns, but if I run across one of those at a decent price I will definitely grab it.
Bearstopper,

Since you live in the PacNW, when you see one I would recommend you ask if it has both ignitions before Buying/bidding on one. They would normally come with Williams rear and a Fiber optic front site. They are a nice light rifle and handle great like the MK-85's do. They are a bit unique and may be another reason I am attracted to them too.

Shawn, I have never seen a 95 in real life, probably never will, so I really thank you for the picture library. It really is an interesting rifle.

sabotloader said:
Shawn, I have never seen a 95 in real life, probably never will, so I really thank you for the picture library. It really is an interesting rifle.
Hey Sabotloader,

Your welcome, glad to see some enjoyed it. I was very surprised at all the PM's I got, not that I mind at all. Just figured if that many wanted to know more, might as well post up a bunch of pics with some explanations about it. These actually weigh in close to the Ulight, maybe a tad more, I was surprised by that, but it is really like carrying the MK-85 with the plain composite stock. They are really great in the woods and would be great out there in the mountains. Plus it is PacNw ready with the #11 ignition! :wink:

Shawn, we had talked about the 95's when you first found this .54 cal. I loved my 50, bought it brand new as soon as it hit the store. I always shot mine with the Posi Fire system & it's favorite powder of all was Black Mag 3 with a Barnes MZ 250 or the XTP 44/240. The only issue I ever ran into was that the detent ball in the small bolt lock will rust in place & cause grief operating the bolt with a primer case inserted in the bolt. A light coat of a thin oil cured that issue. I t was a great gun, but I sold it because I can only use so many guns, LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing your range results.

GregK said:
The only issue I ever ran into was that the detent ball in the small bolt lock will rust in place & cause grief operating the bolt with a primer case inserted in the bolt. A light coat of a thin oil cured that issue. I t was a great gun, but I sold it because I can only use so many guns, LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing your range results.
Greg,
I never had that issue with the Detent rusting and I am still using the original one to my rifle. :huh?: If anything the spring in mine has weakened a little over the years. Mine has hunted in heavy rain and snows too, to the point I would take it out of the stock on return to the house to wipe it off with an oily rag and dry out the stock channel. I have also only shot mine with the Posi-Fire. I really like the ignition from it, never had a FTF from it. I started mostly with Pyro pellets and loose and then switched totally to loose Pyro, never an issue and always shot true. I did switch to Bh 209 and it works flawless too, no mods or anything and the CCI LR Mag primer lights it off every time. 100grains is pretty much max and can trash that little Speer case over that. I took a Doe 2 seasons ago with 100gn Bh and a Speer 300gn Deep curl @ 206 yards laser checked to and from the place I hit her. My longest harvest yet. I have a ton of confidence with that rifle.

I am really looking forward to working a lot with the .54 this year and really get to know it too. I am still working out the details on a Mould style I want and may even try casting some lead bullets for it too. I think I had a whole whopping 8 bullets left at the end of the season, and could not find any! :shock: A couple weeks ago I found one box od Speer 350gn Deep Curls and I just got a few old stock Knight Red Hots (.500 dia .325gn Barnes expanders) off Gunbroker, Plus a big .500 dia 450gn Knight Lead bullet that I never saw before. Little heavy for my taste but it sure looks cool.

I know what you mean about only shooting so many at once. I got the MK-85 .54 first and now I may not shoot it at all anymore. :roll: My KRB7 thinks I forgot all about it too. There is another Mk-95 .54 with Posi-Fire on Armslist that has been there about a month. Not sure why, price is not bad. I can't help myself but look at it every other day or so to see if it is still there. If it is still there after Uncle Sam gives me my play money back I just might have to go get it and give it a home that will appreciate it. That is unless some one buys it first and rescues me from myself. :roll: :wink:

Thanks for that last paragraph that caused me to chuckle :)

Ii also hunted mine hard in the Michigan winters (Rain & snow) & I would strip, dry, & lube as well. I just don't know why it never occurred to me to lubricate that ball & spring. I shot Black Canyon, GOEX Clear shot (which I liked, but it disappeared quickly), APP, & then finally got some BM3 before the idiots safety failures blew up the plant :( I did try BH209 in mine with Harvester 350 grain Sabertooth. 90 grains was the max charge with the heavier bullet & those cases were trashed! I love the Deep Curls, but never tried them in the 95. Sounds like they shot very well. Right now I have my eye on a White Lightning.........we shall see :)

GregK said:
Right now I have my eye on a White Lightning.........we shall see :)

I had not heard of a White either till I started frequenting this site. After seeing the targets and reading the reports on them here.... How can that not get your attention. I have to admit I think about picking up one of them too if I happen on the right one.

Great job! Alot of great information and well presented.

My son just spent his first season with our "new" .50 MK-95. It performed extremely well and I am sure we will be using it for years to come.

Aquastang said:
Great job! Alot of great information and well presented.

My son just spent his first season with our "new" .50 MK-95. It performed extremely well and I am sure we will be using it for years to come.
Great! Glad to here it performed well, but then that is no real surprise to me. :wink: What load did you settle on? Mine always showed a preference for 300 to 310gn bullets, over lighter ones. I am sure you can make it shoot them but the heavier bullet never seemed picky about load in mine.

Settled on 300 gr. Deep Curl ,100 gr. Blackhorn , and crushed rib sabot. At first I thought it loaded a little too easy, but it grouped better than the MMP...so that's what we went with. My son dropped a doe in her tracks at 80 yds and had a big smile on his face when I got there. :D

Aquastang said:
Settled on 300 gr. Deep Curl ,100 gr. Blackhorn , and crushed rib sabot. At first I thought it loaded a little too easy, but it grouped better than the MMP...so that's what we went with. My son dropped a doe in her tracks at 80 yds and had a big smile on his face when I got there. :D
Very Cool, Congrads to your son! :yeah: That is my load too but I use the MMP HPH 12 sabot.

Back