Where do ya'll AIM?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Turkey targets vary all OVER the place! I've ALWAYS put the bead/crosshairs on the neck/body juncture...basically where the red meets the feathers! It's always worked for me! I see a lot of turkey TARGETS that stress shooting at the HEAD!

Where do YOU hold?

Base of the neck is where I've always aimed.

Here an old TK2000 target:

savagesheridan1400gps%20070.jpg

That's EXACTLY where I aim!

Yep that's the spot.

I think if you aim there you have a better chance for a kill even on a not so good shot. Moere room for error than if aiming for the head.

I was always told with a shotgun to aim under the head on the neck. They explained it to me that the top of the pattern will still hit the head and the main charge will hit the neck which will normally put the bird down. It might be one of those wing beater birds, but they normally are not runners.

"where the red meets the feathers!"

that is the best aim point. i just wish i could get one to come in, the hens are killin me right now taking that love struck gobbler deep into the swamp leavin me callin like a mad hen. guess i will give them a week or two & try again

Thats the spot, right at the base of the neck. If you shoot at the head, you are expecting the top half of your patter to hit nothing but air...

Depends on how far he is. If he is close (<25 yards) I will aim at the head. If he is out there farther I use the feather/skin junction on the neck. If he is past 50 yards, I aim higher up the neck as the shot cloud is dropping. The pattern of Hevi Shot is still super deadly but the entire cloud is dropping.

big6x6 said:
Where do YOU hold?

Right here.....

IMGP0594.jpg

This was a target from a couple years ago while I was sighting my 870 with an Aimpoint on it. It just shows you that you MUST aim especially when the bird is in close. This target was shot at 10 yards and on a real bird there wouldn't have been much room for error.

I actually hold a bit lower, closer to where the beard meets the feathers. However, I have an American Arms 10 gauge single shot that weighs about 6 lbs. The recoil lifts the barrel quickly, and the gun shoots high because of it. With that point of aim, I rarely if ever find a pellet in the breast. That gun is a joy to carry, but it definitely gets your attention when you touch it off. Best of luck to everyone with their turkey hunting. Let's be safe, and take a kid with you!!

Nic_58 said:
big6x6 said:
Where do YOU hold?

Right here.....
+1
IMGP0594.jpg

This was a target from a couple years ago while I was sighting my 870 with an Aimpoint on it. It just shows you that you MUST aim especially when the bird is in close. This target was shot at 10 yards and on a real bird there wouldn't have been much room for error.

Latest posts

Back