Wolverine Breach Plug Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to get my Knight Wolverine set up for this fall. I'm completely ready to go except I can't find the breach plug. :oops: It can only be in a few places so I know it will show up. However I'm going to order a new breach plug from Knight in the meantime. I noticed they have a non full plastic jacket plug for it.

Does anyone have experience with one? As far as I can tell the only thing holding the primer in the plug is friction. Am I missing something? If no one has tried this, I will probably just get the original full plastic jacket plug.

Here is a picture and description of the non-FPJ plug from Knight's website.

wolverinebareplug-1.png

Actual page can be found here -->http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.aspx?catid=nonfullplasticjacket

I think if it is a wolverine that uses the plastic jackets it would work. If it is the older wolverine that use #11 caps I don't think this would work.
Art

That's the same breech plug my TK2000 uses. No jacket needed. So far its never lost a primer, but I do not walk too far with it yet.

cayuga said:
That's the same breech plug my TK2000 uses. No jacket needed. So far its never lost a primer, but I do not walk too far with it yet.

Thanks for the insight. Would you have reservations about walking with it in a case or leaning it up against a tree with a primer in? If you think there is a chance it would fall out, I'll stick with the FPJ, for that reason alone.

While it seems solid in there.. in all honesty I have not tested it in the field enough to make that judgement. All I have done is shot the shotgun on the range to pattern it.

I tried that non-FPJ plug in my .45 Wolverine. Using less than 100gr of BH209 blew the magnet and 209 primer out of the plug in to the action. It also has a convex end. I put the plug away for the season and used the FPJ breech plug. Also the two non-FPJ plugs I bought directly from Knight have the holes in the magnet off center. You cannot use a 1/8" drill bit to clean out the plug unless you can get the magnet out first.

I plan to test the non-FPJ this year with T7 and see how it does.

Reese said:
I tried that non-FPJ plug in my .45 Wolverine. Using less than 100gr of BH209 blew the magnet and 209 primer out of the plug in to the action. It also has a convex end. I put the plug away for the season and used the FPJ breech plug. Also the two non-FPJ plugs I bought directly from Knight have the holes in the magnet off center. You cannot use a 1/8" drill bit to clean out the plug unless you can get the magnet out first.

I plan to test the non-FPJ this year with T7 and see how it does.

Reese-
Good to know. I tried BH209 in my .50 cal wolverine this fall. It shot great on the range, but once it got really cold, I couldn't get it to fire everytime and so I scrapped the idea and will be going back to T7. This gun is for my girlfriend and so reliability is a must. I think I'm going to order a FPJ plug, because I know it works.

I am so old style... my Wolverine still shoots #11 caps. But it shoots loose powder just fine. I normally shoot black powder in it, with about 80-85 grains and it does fine.

cayuga, I hear you. I have a few #11 fitted inlines that will most likely stay that way.
However, if younghunter_86 has a 209 plunger in his rifle, he needs to stay with a 209 breech plug.

A few months ago Cabela's online was selling the W209 breech plugs at half price. Check around, you might be able to buy them cheaper than going right to Knight.

While the breech plug might be on sale, its my understanding you have to use a different hammer striker system to fire the 209. Or am I wrong here?

I understand he is shooting 209 and he should have good luck. I was just commenting on how backward my old Wolverine LK-II is.

cayuga said:
While the breech plug might be on sale, its my understanding you have to use a different hammer striker system to fire the 209. Or am I wrong here?

Your are correct. I thought I was saying that in my post. Sorry for not being clear. My use of W209 above meant the Wolverine 209 breech plug as Knight calls it. He will probably need the #900021 FPJ breech plug that fits W209 (Wolverine 209), TK2000, and USAK. I bought several of these a few months back from Cabela's when they had them on sale for $12 each.

Cayuga, if you need any spare #11 breech plugs for your Wolverine II, Midway USA still carries them. They come with the hex head now versus the slot head.

Back