TC Prohunter FX question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullmount

Reaction score
My cousin has been shooting his new TC Prohunter FX at my place off and on for a few months. This is his first ML. About 50 shots thru it.
Today he had a problem, which when the 209 primer was in the breechplug the hammer could not be cocked. ?? We took out the primer closed it up and without it the hammer could easily be cocked. Seemes to me there is a clearance issue with the thickness of the primer or something in the plug area. The plug is TIGHT....more than I like to tighten one.........

Anyone have any similar problems with the Prohunter or similar TC guns built on this style frame ??

Thanks, skullmount

I have a Pro Hunter frame with a bergara barrel that has the QRBP and when using the CCIM primers if my breech plug is too tight the hammer won't cock back. I just have to not torque the plug too much and it's fine.

Carl,

What primer is he using?

The Winchester W209 is the longest primer, in the .300"-.305" range. The Federal 209A and CCI 209/CCI 209M, generally in the .295" to .299" range. And the Remington STS roughly in the .293" to .296 range.

Those figures are off the top of my head, so go up top to the sticky and get some actual measurements.

The last bunch of Winchester W209's I bought were down in the same range as the Federal and CCI primers though, so nothing is absolute when it comes to 209 primers.

I do think he can find a primer that will suit his rifle though.

Thanks for the replys guys ! I will let him know.

busta,

I am not sure.....I will give him a call today and see.

Back