a day at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
well i had a fun day at the range at our cabin temps in the high 70`s AM with win 209 with a savage ventliner (put in my RW liner tonight when i got back) at 100 yrds
I shot a 1 1/2 in group with 44.0 grains weighed 5744 and a 250gr barnes MZ, a 1 inch group with 45.0 grains of weighed 5744 and a 250 grain SST, then i started playing with a hunterman boolets swaged 300 grain mag-tip boattail .452 with a charge of 44.0 weighed 5744 and a short mmp and shot a 5 shot group that is the best i have ever shot period!
NOW get this less than 1/4 in yeaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! now comes the unscientific test 100 yrds boinked an unopened can of crushed pineapple with the huntman bullet load as one of our neighbors watched and it totally fragged the can and put can shrapnel into trees and limbs next to the target board!! he about crapped as did I. Yes I know Randy its not scientific but dang!!!! oh and the odd thing barnes and the 300gr lead has same POI and the sst is out 6 in left and high ??? whats up with that? oh well 50 rounds later no bruise and wanted to shoot more but it got hot :twisted: ok sorry so long but i had to tell someone!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a good observation with the SST, I have noticed that it always shoots high and off to one side or the other when I switch from one bullet to another. Seems like most bullets of the same weight will shoot close to POI for my standard load, but the sst has a poi all its own.

Some great hot weather shooting there savageml10-2!!

I have done very little 10 ML-II shooting in temp range of high 70's and & hotter. For me when temps are in the 70-90 degree range (which is whut we got now) my groups are not nearly as good as in colder temps. For my flinters shootin conicals I never noticed much difference but with a saboted bullet there is for me. Good job there.

Rifleman said:
That is a good observation with the SST, I have noticed that it always shoots high and off to one side or the other when I switch from one bullet to another. Seems like most bullets of the same weight will shoot close to POI for my standard load, but the sst has a poi all its own.

Dwight...same experience here. I wish I could show you the target that comes to mind. 200 gr. xtp's grouping dead center at 100 yards, and 250 grain SST's 4-5 MOA high and 3 MOA to the right. Go figure... :?

on the other hand i have a group of sst`s on paper at 200 yrds that was just over 1 1/4 in at 200 but that was early am 55 degrees or so and dead calm oh and i was indexing the sabot fingers off of my front sight base did it make a diff? i think so when i did not index them at 200 it was a 3 in group!

I did not say the SST won't shoot well. It sure does with a good load. I have shot very well with it out to 300 yds. All I am saying is that it has it's own POI. Usually all bullets do, however the change is much more dramatic with the SST then alot of other bullets. If you like the SST you simply zero to it.

agreed rifleman! i am so pleased with the magtip yet i wanna try 300 xtp and 300 grain barnes and still undecided what to use on whitetails :wink:

Latest posts

Back