Tag Team Does?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Took my son to the farm to harvest 2 does last night as it was the last night of early BP. We made two "gunners nests" about five feet back in the switch grass overlooking our pond. The wind was to our back but quartering away from us, out of reach of the deer's noses. We set up our shooting sticks propped up the Elites and waited.

The plan was to wait till two does were together in the open, count 123 Bang! His would be left-mine right. Drop two the last couple hours of the last day. Right?............... WRONG!!

A doe came to the pond and drank. So we waited for another. But while we were waiting she decided to come toward us across the dam. A few more feet and she would BUST US! :shock: We did'nt have time to wait for the second doe now.

I gave the go ahead and he took her quartering to....At the shot, a half a dozen more busted out to our left and were gone....except for one big girl at 120 yards across the creek and through the trees. I swung my gun to the left, he ducked and layed flat, I planted set my sticks and BANG! the 200 grain SST found it's mark through a small hole in the brush. She went 20 yards, his 30. Both shots were quartering to and complete pass throughs. One even went through the shoulder bone. Total time to harvest two does...15 minutes. :shock: FUN! :lol:

Spit,
Great going there!

But wait there Spit..
I know a really cool dude in Alabama that wants to come to Iowa and meat Magilla brother or son! :D

Heck I would settle for meeting his nephew or cousin :D

I can't wait to that kinda stuff with my son... That has to be great!!!!!

VENISONEATR said:
Heck I would settle for meeting his nephew or cousin :D

I can't wait to that kinda stuff with my son... That has to be great!!!!!

It would only be better had it not happened so fast. You know, a guy kinda likes to build some memories around the hunt. It's really hard to cram all that bonding into 15 or 20 minutes. Of course we did have to walk about 5 minutes to get there. :lol: But yes, it's a wonderful thing.

Chuck,
If you would have been with us as we walked back to the truck, you could have tried the Nula out at 300 yards. Magillas brother or his old man, was following 9 does into a picked corn field. :shock: He was HUGE. You would have had about 30 seconds to range, set your sticks and fire. I was without a buck tag. :(

spitpatch how did the exit hole look on the deer from the 200gr shockwaves?

im sure the bullet opened up nice

jeff223 said:
spitpatch how did the exit hole look on the deer from the 200gr shockwaves?

im sure the bullet opened up nice

Exit hole was about 1-1/2"

I'm actually going back to the scrape in the morning where he was standing. Taking my metal detector and look for the bullet. The sabot was found IN the scrape. :shock: It appeared nicely flowered. I'll send a pic of the bullet if I can find it. :)

Back