T/C Omega scope and rear sight question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchaser

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me, that has an Omega, do you have to remove the rear sight fiber optic sight to mount a scope. I am thinking about buying an Omega and using the quick release Warne Maxima medium rings and bases with either a 2-7x or 3-9x scope Leupold Vari-X I. I don't want to remove the rear sight if I don't have to, because I want to be able to take off the scope when I am hunting in areas where I know I can't shoot past 40 or 50 yards, because I would rather have the quicker target acquistion capabilities of open sights in these type hunting situations.

Mine's got the sights removed. If you want to keep the sights I'd go with a compact scope.

TC Omega Scope

I have a 2-7 x 32mm scope on my omega and there is about 3/4 inch from the sight to the scope. My scope is 12 inches long. Hope this helps.

I just checked mine. The sight sits against the scope. Of course mine is the old sight too. It is longer. My scope is a 3-9X44 Millett BuckGold.

Thanks for checking all. Definitely a big help. I'll just have to watch my scope length. One last question. From some of the pics of the scope mounted Omegas, it almost looks like the scope base sits high enough to being close to obstructing your view of the sights. Looks like they are low enough that you should be able to use the fixed sights, but just wanted to confirm with those that had an Omega already set-up. Thanks.

deerchaser,

Just so you know... I have a 3x9x40 Bushnell Elite on my Omega. I have a Warne base and Warne intermediate rings. I had to remove my rear sight to get this set up on. With high rings you might get over the sight.

Not all scopes are built the same so I would say you will need to match the scope to the gun if you go with a regular scope. As Patrick indicated a way around that would be with a Compact scope

I had to remove my rear sight also because the scope would have been touching it. I have a 3 x 9 Bushnell Elite 3200.

Good luck!

I put my .30-06 that has a B&L Elite 4200 on it next to the Omega to check how it would line up. Looks like the Elite 4200 (13.25 inches long)would be about 1.75 inches long. I figure if I get a Vari-X I with a 2-7x32 (11 inches long) I shouldn't have a problem, but it seems like I possibly could have a problem depending on exactly how the rings and scope match up. I am mainly trying to stay behind the rear-sight, rather than above it. I figure as long as I can stay behind the rear sight, the medium Warne ring or Leupold rings would be high enought to get everything but the very top of the rings out of my view, which I cant see being that big a deal.

You shouldn't have any problem with a 11 inch scope. My scope is 12 inches long and I have nearly 3/4 inch between it and rear sight.

TC Omega scope mount

I have a 2x9x40 swift I used weaver see thru mounts placed scope above rear sight. It also alows us to use Fiber optics for cose range shots works well for me.

Deerchaser I have a 3x9 40mm on mine with low bases with the rear sight is still on the gun.
Charlie

I have a Leupold VXII on my Omega with a Warne Maxima Quick Release Matte Rings & Base , and there is about a half an inch to spare:) If I remove the scope, I can use the open sites just fine with the base still attached:)

3x9 sightron is too long.. As Patrick said, you will have to go with a compact scope.. or something relatively shorter.

Doohan said:
3x9 sightron is too long.. As Patrick said, you will have to go with a compact scope.. or something relatively shorter.

Sure will be. I went thru a lot to find the right scope for the Omega with open sights. Best I remember the scope can only be about 11 inches or so in length. A Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 proved to be the perfect scope!

Back