Traditions WonderLube 1000?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
Who uses this stuff? Currently I am using Remington Express Lube Patches in my barrel as the very last step in my cleaning process. They're WonderLube Patches with a Remington label on it. I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced any accuracy issues like cayuga described about Bore Butter. So far I haven't had any issues...

I believe Traditions Wonderlube 1000 is the same thing as the original Ox-Yoke Originals Wonder Lube 1000 Plus manufactured years ago in Milo, Maine and is also marketed by TC as Natural Lube 1000 (aka Bore Butter). Currently the old Ox Yoke Company is the Rydon Corporation today. http://rmcoxyoke.com/catalog.htm

Curtis

Thanks fellas! Looks like I'll be scrubbing it all out and getting rid of the remaining patches.

Wonderlube/Bore Butter is pretty good stuff but not for rust prevention. It is pretty good as a bullet lube, a good lube for patches/patched ball, and for use in blackpowder revolvers in each cylinder. That's about it.

black powder said:
i use T/C grease t17 ...the Wonderlube smells way too strong ,[HOOCKER PERFUME]

It seems they could put in either a cover scent or Doe estrus to help while hunting.

Dave

Well I scrubbed the bore really good with a bronze brush with solvent on it. I got a whole lot of really dark patches after doing this several times. This was after I did a final cleaning on the rifle after I fired it last. I don't know if the black stuff came from the brush or if the WonderLuber had gummed up and trapped a bunch of stuff that the brush loosened up. But either way, I'm done using anything but solvent and RemOil on the bores of my ML's. Maybe the Montana Extreme stuff if it turns out to be the cats-ass...

SWThomas

Listen to black powder he knows whut he speaketh...

I might suggest not to use the Rem-oil on the bore - it has teflon in it - try some of Dave's BW Sheath in the bore - it a good clean oil.

Give a little more testing time with the X-treme stuff but it is looking really promising...

sabotloader said:
SWThomas

Listen to black powder he knows whut he speaketh...

I might suggest not to use the Rem-oil on the bore - it has teflon in it - try some of Dave's BW Sheath in the bore - it a good clean oil.

Give a little more testing time with the X-treme stuff but it is looking really promising...

What would be an adverse affect from using RemOil in the bore?

SWThomas

I personally can not attest that Rem-Oil is not good for the bore, but I have been told and suggested to me that using teflon in the barrel is not the best idea. It is a great product but it MIGHT do some harm. Most high grade barrel guys suggest no teflon in a match grade barrel..

Here are two quotes that I just found - I honestly do not know how accurate they are... I am a product of my father who absolutely would not allow tefon in the bore....

The problem comes when PTFE/teflon is subjected to very high temperatures, as seen in gunbores during firing.
The teflon outgasses hydrofluoric acid as a combustion breakdown product. The acid eats the chrome and/or rifling out of the bore over time, causes stress fractures, pitting etc. Exposure to acid is bad for metal. Hardchrome as found in AR15/m16 barrels is particularly susceptible to this.

From the Eezox

For example, Teflon is fine for frying pans, gears and other metal surfaces, but it is not a lubricant. Teflon, in fact, builds up residue when blended with flammable petroleum lube distillates. This residue build-up is left on firearm mechanisms, firing pins and in bores/barrels, etc.

I personally have used Rem Oil with Teflon in rifles. I find no problem using it because before I shoot, I take a alcohol patch and remove it. So it then if in the bore is in such a small amount I really do not find it a problem. But I got hooked on Birchwood Casey Sheath. I think that is some of the best oil on the market.

cayuga said:
I personally have used Rem Oil with Teflon in rifles. I find no problem using it because before I shoot, I take a alcohol patch and remove it. So it then if in the bore is in such a small amount I really do not find it a problem. But I got hooked on Birchwood Casey Sheath. I think that is some of the best oil on the market.

Would 91% Isopropyl Alcohol be safe to use?

Latest posts

Back