Starting to get ready with the ULite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
We had a great day for shooting here on Long Island. Started out at about 45* and ended at about 60*. Light breeze picked up about 2pm. I have not spent much time with my "New to Me" U-Lite. Last thing I did was install one of Bestill's Plugs. I swabbed the bore and fired off 3 Primers with the rod holding a patch down the bore to the BP. All 3 patches had the face completely burned away. :yeah: I started off with 100 gnV of BH (4 shots) then went to 110gnV BH (4 shots) with a Harvester 300gn PT Gold and MMP HPH-24. I only used Win209s and all shooting was at 100 yards.

For the first 2 groups I never swabbed, but later I started swabbing one dry patch (both sides) between shots. For the first shots I only waited 5 minutes or so for the barrel to cool. The first shot in each group went about where I expected but after than not so much. :huh?: I started thinking that it might be still too warm but loading pressure did not seem to change. I decided after these 2 groups to use the timer on my phone and wait a full 15 minutes between shots. Notice that I am getting some flyers, shot #4 in both groups drop and both felt good. I looked back a past target and saw some of the same stuff but more horizontal like in my 3rd target with the PT gold's. I can get 2 in a hole and others wander off. I am wondering if it is just that this rifle don't really care for this bullet. Has anyone else experienced this with the PT Gold?

110 grainV load

Next target is when I started waiting a full 15 minutes between shots and one dry swab. I started with 110 gnV of BH and a Speer 300gn DC in the same MMP-HPH-24 sabot (Lower right group), odd how they shot so far from the PT Gold. I later found that these had grouped better on a previous day with 120 gnV BH. Then I upped the charge to 120gnV and used the 275 Bloodline and this group is about the same size as a group I shot with the same charge also on another day, just under 1". Then I tried 120gnV of BH with the 300 PT Gold again. This last group with the PT looks a lot like a group I shot previously with the same charge, 2 in a hole and 2 out. There just was not enough breeze today for that. Maybe a little me but don't think so.

I was starting to get a bit tired but wanted to see if the same load with the Bloodline would repeat. It was about and hour later and now got more sun in my face and that is about all I can figure caused the group to be a bit more left but about the same elevation. First 2 shots and I was thinking that this rifle really likes that Bloodline, then I got a bit cocky and blew the last one as I felt the stock roll out of my hand a bit when the shot broke. :( The 275gn Bloodline are a .458 bullet and do load tighter but not what I would call overly tight. I do think this rifle is liking this Bloodline though.

There are 23 Primers fired but I took the pic before the last shot so only 22 show. Notice how clean they are. ALL of them fell out by just tipping the rifle to the right. The BP is one from Bestill and when I got home a quick clean with a drill bit by hand and the rest wiped off with one patch and Q-Tip with Butches Bore Shine, no soaking. I love this plug! :yeah:
I looked around for some of the Sabots from the bloodlines and took me a while to find them. All pedals were sheered off and fell about 6 to 8 yards from the muzzle and the bases about 25 to 28 yards or so. I could not find the other 2 bases, probably stepped on them.

I definitely need some more practice as me and this rifle are still getting to know each other. I will say that the more I shoot it the more I love it. I only have 9 more of the Bloodlines, so guess I might be ordering some soon.
Here are some other pics from the range I had 2 flags out today.

Looks like a lot of fun and some nice shooting :yeah:

Do those bloodlines have a factory knurl on them? Have you tried to put a knurl on the PT Golds?

Shawn

As I read your first sentence - I am thinking where in the world would you even shoot on Long Island!!! Out here in Idaho and never being farther east than Colorado - I am thinking Long Island - that is all one big city!!!

I have not shot any PT's from my ULite but with the different bullets I have shot I have not really noticed was you are saying is happening...

Shoot O'deer - that Bloodline group looks really GOOD! Can not say that the DC's are real shabby either!

Good luck during your season - thinking you are going to shoot that new-to-you ULite just fine...

mike

BDHunter... the Bloodlines come with that knurling so they will not slip in the sabot...

BuckDoeHunter said:
Looks like a lot of fun and some nice shooting :yeah:

Do those bloodlines have a factory knurl on them? Have you tried to put a knurl on the PT Golds?
No I have not tried knurling the PT's.

sabotloader said:
Shawn

As I read your first sentence - I am thinking where in the world would you even shoot on Long Island!!! Out here in Idaho and never being farther east than Colorado - I am thinking Long Island - that is all one big city!!!

I have not shot any PT's from my ULite but with the different bullets I have shot I have not really noticed was you are saying is happening...

Shoot O'deer - that Bloodline group looks really GOOD! Can not say that the DC's are real shabby either!

Good luck during your season - thinking you are going to shoot that new-to-you ULite just fine...

mike

BDHunter... the Bloodlines come with that knurling so they will not slip in the sabot...
Mike,
NYC is several miles west of me and the Range is even farther east of me. Long Island is almost 120 miles long. There are actually several clubs and a couple Public Ranges here on Long Island. I belong to a Private Club and that pic of the range is our Rifle range or at least part of it. We also have a 50 yard range and it is usually referred to as our pistol range, but since it is down in a Pit we can pretty much shoot anything firearm we want there as long as it is at targets. Our rifle range has 50, 100, 150 and 200 yard positions for target frames, but we have to shoot Paper targets in frames, no Clay birds for us. They are too afraid of a round leaving the range, that would obviously not be good.

I really am loving this rifle. Bad thing is we have very few weekends left where I can get ready for Deer season. Our club has lots of Matches and also hosts several events during the nicer months where we donate our range, such as for the Boy scouts, etc. The next one is a "Hosting the Well Armed Woman day", I think this is a new event for us. I only have about 4 more shooting days to get ready. So I am really Thinking it is between the Bloodlines and the Speer DC. I looked up the other groups I mentioned and they are shot in July.

Bloodlines. I seem to remember loosing one but forgot why. CRS is setting in. :wink:

Deep Curls with 120gns V of BH. So far both have out shot the PT Gold's.

I'd like to see them tighten up a bit but that might just be me. Either way this rifle will be out hunting week after Thanksgiving back home in Ohio.

Try this just for the heck of it... loosen the recoil lug screw so it is barely snug then stand the rifle vertical and bounce the recoil pad off the floor... just a few gentle taps on the floor from an 1" or so - then tighten the lug screw...

Also when you put the rifle in the front rest keep the rest as far back as you can... it shouldn't effect barrel harmonics where ever it is but you never know...

I think I am just a typical hillbilly westerner that that thinks New York City is all of southern New York or at least most of New York State?????

I have had really good results with the 300gr PT Gold in all 3 of my Knights, 1 Disc Elite and 2 Disc Extremes. They have Lehigh bare primer breech plug conversions and my normal hunting load is 110gr BH209, Winchester regular 209 primer and Harvesters black crush rib sabot. All my triggers are set at 2 1/2 lbs. Best group to date has been .297 inches with my Long Range Hunter.

sabotloader said:
Try this just for the heck of it... loosen the recoil lug screw so it is barely snug then stand the rifle vertical and bounce the recoil pad off the floor... just a few gentle taps on the floor from an 1" or so - then tighten the lug screw...

Also when you put the rifle in the front rest keep the rest as far back as you can... it shouldn't effect barrel harmonics where ever it is but you never know...

I think I am just a typical hillbilly westerner that that thinks New York City is all of southern New York or at least most of New York State?????

Thanks for the suggestions Mike.
I always stand the rifle up on its pad and pull down on the barrel then tighten the screw so it is as far back as it can be in the block. I can try pulling the rest back some. I know it does not catch the sling stud as I don't have it out that far. So far it is mostly with the PT Golds that I see that. I just checked and the PT Gold's are .451 and the DC is .452 so maybe the knurling that BDHunter suggested would help. I might try that for next time out. :think:

I just ordered more Bloodlines, hope they get them here in time. :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion Buckdoehunter.

Good shooting Shawn :D
Have you tried the 250 bloodlines? They shoot really well out of my Elite with 100gr BH. Regardless, its certainly minute of deer for sure...but I know you want it to be totally consistent and driving tacks :D
I've never had a load that sheared all the petals off...fwiw, all my best groups from any rifle, the spent sabots were opened perfectly. I don't know if that has anything to do with the inconsistencies or not. Good work, look fwd to your next report :yeah:

WV Hunter said:
Good shooting Shawn :D
Have you tried the 250 bloodlines? They shoot really well out of my Elite with 100gr BH. Regardless, its certainly minute of deer for sure...but I know you want it to be totally consistent and driving tacks :D
I've never had a load that sheared all the petals off...fwiw, all my best groups from any rifle, the spent sabots were opened perfectly. I don't know if that has anything to do with the inconsistencies or not. Good work, look fwd to your next report :yeah:
Thanks. Yea that is just the old Benchrest competitor in me, and I can't help it. :roll: I get my chops busted a lot at the club for trying to make a muzzleloader shoot like a Benchrest rifle. :lol: The other thing is that when you can get them tightened up it leads to a Lot of Confidence in the rifle/Load. The Pedals all sheering off was only on the Bloodlines and they are thin since the bullets are .458 dia. No I never tried the .250s as the Ballistics showed less drop in with the 275. I just ordered a couple more boxes of the 275s last night so maybe I will try the 250 next year. That 265 CF that Tom is testing is looking real good though and really has my interest.

Back