Started shooting round balls with my GPR again. Might need some updates.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not doubting you, just didn't expect that.
I never took it as doubting ,just if you didn"t know it is interesting (pro + con) like most things .I just happen to have lots of experience Thanks to Larry ,Over many yrs with many cal/rifles .It is interesting if you take my suggestion and look into his experience you too might ask if this would apply to this thread /hope Lewis chimes in as I do not know if it applies here /Thanks Ed

Hold a match to it, bet it melts.
Never held a match to it but I guarantee having shot many 1000s of rds of 45/70 BP thru the C Sharps 74 and never saw flames /or lightning tho there is a boom + smoke using dacron as described ,back to the question I asked would it work like the cotton ball mentioned By Lewis ? That is the only question I asked ,I already know having many yrs experience pulling the trigger on dacron loads in my described experience /just sayin Ed

I just wonder if dacron ,(I use in other guns) would work as well as cotton as I have lots?

Ed, Dacron is something i have No experience with, in fact i have never seen it before? I came close to getting some this Winter for Cast bullets in my .300 Win Mag, But i ended up Switching Gears. I know many use it as a “Filler” in Large Cartridge Cases with Smaller powder Charges for Shooting Light Loads, and Cast Bullets.

As for using a Cotton Ball (I Use about 1/2 of one) as a Wad Behind a Patched Roundball, It DEFINITELY Works :lewis: They will Catch Fire Though, I Started using a HIGH Heat Cooking Oil Lube (Avocado Oil) Saturate The Cotton Balls, Then Press them out, It doesn’t Take much Oil. I Wrap them in a Good Absorbent Paper Towel, Press them Good N Snug in my Bench Vice (I do this SAME Method with Dry Wool Felt Wads that i Punch) I prefer my OP Wads very Lightly Lubed, Not Enough to worry about Powder Contamination. For Hunting, I use a BONE DRY Wool Felt Wad

For those doubters if wads work under patched balls please use your chrono and you will aside from better groups will noticed increased FPS cutting back on gas cutting (That"s a fact) if your patch/ball size is not up to the task . It does protect an undersized/inferior patch material (not all patch material is equal) and we all on occasion make poor choices . Wads do work in my guns ,maybe not in yours/Ed

First time out with used rifle.
GPR, .50 cal
Hornady .495 RB
.015-.018 Joanne pillow tic
60 grns. of 3F Swiss
50 yards, Lyman 57 peep rear sight, front blade sight.
20/80 moose milk- Ballistol/water patch lube.

Shooting off the bench with bullsbag to zero sights with new Lyman rear sight, the numbers 3 & 4 refer to 3rd and 4th sight adjustments. The two shots in the 3rd adjust we're not tight due to the set trigger getting away from me. Final adjust number 4 has 3 shots in it.

Bottom line, given the right load GPR's can be very accurate rifles. I hope the above setup helps, I last shot mz ldr competition in 1978 with a Johnathan Browning Mountain rifle. But I currently have been shooting various rifles and pistols most every weekend. Prepping like you for a club shoot re round ball. Also just purchased a .58 Cal Birmingham Parker Hale Enfield, so I've got my work cut out for me..

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_112902482.jpg
    IMG_20200324_112902482.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Valkyrie, Welcome to Mod.Muz. TY for the info especially since you are shooting a GPR. So busy with other stuff here I didn’t even give thought to .495 rb’s. I have pin gauges all the way up to .510. Need to recheck my GPR.
Haven’t in a many year. Too busy shooting SML and in lines.
But,,,I’m back to smoking again! 😁

Latest posts

Back