Started shooting round balls with my GPR again. Might need some updates.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Friends, I haven't shot RB's in many years and I know there are those here that shoot nothing but. My local IWLA club has a traditional / no sabot shoot that I plan to participate.
Multiple ranges, assortment of targets. A fun thing if you will.
My smokepole is a Lyman GPR 1/66.
I was at the range today. Settled on 70 grn Blk MZ, .030 Veggie wad, .010 patch lubed from a tube of Bore Butter ( told ya it's been awhile LOL ) and .490 rb.
at 50 I was getting 2 1/2" three shot groups.
What should I realistically hope for ?
So:
I'd prefer a ready made lube.
Patch materials type ?
Have a batch of Hornady RB .490's
Not shooting BP. Will be using subsitutes.
I could go on but hopefully one gets the gest.

Friends, I haven't shot RB's in many years and I know there are those here that shoot nothing but. My local IWLA club has a traditional / no sabot shoot that I plan to participate.
I was at the range today. Settled on 70 grn Blk MZ, .030 Veggie wad, .010 patch lubed from a tube of Bore Butter ( told ya it's been awhile LOL ) and .490 rb.
So:
Patch materials type ?
You did not mention the patch material used ,how about condition of shot patch? I use Joannes Fabric shop and buy pillow/mattress ticking /muslin and bring calipers to get a compressed measurement ,I look for .015-18 for a 490 ball shooting75-95 gr OE 2F and 75-85 gr OE 3F but have no experience with subs /sorry .Don"t forget to give your new material a couple of rides in the washer 1st and you could try some Neatsfoot oil if you ran out of bear oil , I try not to! Look to Daryls muzzle crowning treatment if starting the ball is hard .Like its been said if you can shoot your used patch your group is probably pretty nice . And if the gun likes the patch go back with the lot # and buy yards of it as it varies lot to lot sometimes a whole lot! /Ed

A 2 1/2" group at 50 yds is nothing to be shy about. I hear and see many muzzleloaders at the range. I rarely see better groups than 2 1/2" @ 50. Many talk 1 hole groups but it is rare . As for BLk MZ, I shot a few pounds any got very good groups with it, every bit as good as Holy Black but it is nowhere as far as I can tell. Your groups are plenty good for deer, heck , even a squirrel is in danger.

So:
Patch materials type ?

I would try without the Vege Wad, I believe the Vege Wad Could do more harm to accuracy than good? A hard Card type wad such as Vege Fibre is Best with a Flat Base Bullet. Think of it this Way, How can a Bore Diameter Disc Seal Behind a Roundball? When the Powder Goes off the Vege Wad will be forced to “conform” to the Contour of the Ball, rendering it useless as a Gas Seal.

Try a 100% Cotton Ball in place of the Vege Fibre (Make sure it’s 100% Cotton, and NOT that Synthetic Stuff) The Cotton Ball will “FORM” Around the Patched Ball

I would try without the Vege Wad, I believe the Vege Wad Could do more harm to accuracy than good? A hard Card type wad such as Vege Fibre is Best with a Flat Base Bullet. Think of it this Way, How can a Bore Diameter Disc Seal Behind a Roundball? When the Powder Goes off the Vege Wad will be forced to “conform” to the Contour of the Ball, rendering it useless as a Gas Seal.

Try a 100% Cotton Ball in place of the Vege Fibre (Make sure it’s 100% Cotton, and NOT that Synthetic Stuff) The Cotton Ball will “FORM” Around the Patched Ball
I never considered my wad choice conforming to the RB ,(I use .060 poly) but I need to try the cotton ball . Till I get outside I still have an excuse for poor groups !/Ed

Good idea Lewis. I was using the wads to keep patch lube off the powder and a sort of cushion like a shotgun wad. Sort of.
My 50 trials . I shot without wads, with one wad then two wads. Best groups were obtained with two wads.
Multiple thoughts as why but sure of none.
( I think I just coined a phrase)
Will give the cotton ball a try.
Thanks all for your advice.

If you experiment with it, I'd say it's entirely possible to get one hole groups at 50yds. It will take some experimentation and you have to be consistent and methodical to determine what works and TAKE NOTES.

Here's a 50yd group out of my competition musket. The squares are 1in. Gun is 1862 Colt Contract replica, 58cal Rapine Trashcan minie, 44g 3f Old Eynsford, RWS caps, beeswax/olive oil lube.
20170904_082823.jpg

Patched Roundball Accuracy can be DARN GOOD, as good as Bullets :lewis:

APVPdqTl.jpg

As mentioned above, Get some different Fabric, and Thicknesses. My Favorite is Pocket Drill
Psbdlpel.jpg

I also would recommend playing with different patch material and thickness. How easy did the .010" patch and a .490 RB load? My guess is pretty easy. My experiences with bore butter are that it doesn't need to be isolated from the powder, it won't foul it. I never mess with an over powder wad for pached RB shooting. The over powder wad is probably needed to help out that thin .010"patch to not burn up. I would try a .015" patch of pocket drill or pillow ticking. CVA sells a .015" pillow ticking patch if you don't want to make your own.
Track of the Wolf's mink oil is very good if you want to mess with other ready made, easy to apply lubes. It is very slick and only takes enough to rub it out to the edges of the patch. There are several I prefer over bore butter, wonder lube, etc. chap stick types (I won't go into why so as not to hijack the thread) but I was able to get good accuracy out of the bore butter types. It is also easy to make an olive oil/bees wax lube (hobby lobby sells bees wax, I use the ground up "petals" version) using a double broiler. 3 parts O.O. to 1 part bee wax is a good ratio to start with.
Use a bit thicker patch without the OP wad and see what you get.

MichiganMuzzy,(MM for short if you don't mind ) "Sorry this pic is so large, I copied it off of Hornady Muzzleloading Bullets 50 Cal (485 Diameter) Hard Ball Sabot Made by Hornady. Seems like a good product, all good reviews. Maybe a little like cheating tho "

MM, No sabots per my original post. I'm aware of the rb sabots. Would be unethical to use unless another shooter category was started. Thanks for sharing anyway.

"IWLA club has a traditional / no sabot shoot that I plan to participate." from my post.

Last edited:

The guys that shoot smoothbores love to argue over whether you should shoot with wads or bare ball.

And, those that shoot with wads love to argue over whether you should shoot with wads that are punched out of pressed materials like vege fiber, cards, wool, etc.; or instead use loose material like flax tow, wasp nest, sheep's wool, etc.

Idaholewis shows his ability to think outside of the box by his use of cotton balls to fill the hollow bases of minie balls, and bullets.

And he is absolutely right in pointing out that punched out wads are designed to seal circular bores behind bullets and shot charges that fill the bore completely from side to side.

Such wads ARE NOT DESIGNED TO SEAL THE BORE BEHIND A BALL!!

Yet, It's the FIRST thing you are told to do when shooting a ball out of a smoothbore.

And, if It won't seal the bore behind a ball in a smoothbore barrel, then it can't possibly seal the barrel behind a ball in a RIFLE BARREL.

I can't tell you how many times that I have read online someone suggesting that a wad be used behind a patched ball to help seal the bore when the shooter is having accuracy troubles.

A well lubed big fat cotton ball at least has THE POTENTIAL to fill the grooves of a rifle barrel completely behind a patched ball.

In my opinion it is but a stop gap measure.

It has been demonstrated many, many, many times that if a shooter is willing to experiment long enough, 99% of the barrels manufactured today for muzzleloading WILL HAVE a load combination for patched ball that will give outstanding accuracy.

AND THAT INCLUDES IN LINES WITH FAST TWIST BARRELS.

Go to Doc White's website if you don't believe me. He talks about it there.

The elephant-in-the-room kicker is this:

That totally accurate load combo might not measure up TO YOUR IDEA ( OR THE GUN WRITER'S/MEDIA'S IDEA) OF WHAT A HUNTING LOAD FOR A MUZZLELOADING RIFLE SHOULD BE!!!!!!

The powder charge WILL PROBABLY BE FAR LIGHTER than you think it should be, that ball MIGHT NOT BE leaving the muzzle as fast as you think it should, it WILL NOT shoot as flat as a bullet, the effective killing range of the ball will be FAR SHORTER than a bullet's will...but, it will kill whitetail and mule deer just as dead as a bullet. You are just going TO HAVE TO GET CLOSER.

Even with shallow groove rifling like T/C's, CVA's, and other import rifles have; there is a patch thickness, lube, ball diameter, and powder charge that in conjunction with the barrel's rate of twist should provide 1" groups at 50 yds off of a bench rest. And 3"-4" groups, minimum, at 100 yds.

Modern barrels, especially those manufactured in Europe, are very, very good. A barrel made in Europe is held to higher standards than those made in the USA. I am JUST talking about the barrel, and it's proofing.

Unless one gets a substandard barrel that is drilled off center, poorly rifled, etc., it should be ACCURATE.

So, use the cotton ball if you must, but KNOW that there SHOULD BE AN ACCURATE LOAD OUT THERE WAITING FOR YOU TO FIND IT!!!!!!!!

You just have to be willing, and patient enough to find it. Good Luck!!

Bruce

P.s.
I had my best results using fabric store purchased heavy blue denim material. This was the early 1970's. One time when I went back to purchase more the store was out, and the owner sold me a cotton duck used for upholstery.

This was in the days before I knew that I was supposed to measure the thickness with a micrometer. I just went by the weight per ounce that the lady told me.

I know now that I lucked into a tight weave material that withstood the insertion of a 0.445" ball into a 0.450" bore with a groove diameter of 0.474"

I used either a patch well-wetted with saliva, or Crisco smeared liberally between my thumb and fingers on the fabric.

Patches were cut at the muzzle.

If I can correctly recall, I settled on a powder charge of 65 grains of DuPont fffg.

This was in a 42" long, 13/16", straight octagon barrel.

My best shooting ever was 5 shots under a quarter at 85 yds from the bench.

On my subsequent long rifles, I just kept using what had already worked.

All of those rifles were more accurate than I was capable of shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce,
It does make sense. Once the wad is pushed forward by the ignited charge, it would then encompass the shape of the round ball. Thus then the grace of the patch and lube to keep gas at the rear.
I started 50 yd with 60gr BlkMz and 490 rd ball. The .010 patch offered about 24 lbs seating pressure. I felt okay with that. I lapped it many years ago. Sabots and patched stuff slide even presure all the way. ( I left a slight choke )
I did retrieve spent patches to observe their performance. Found no burn out,hole or tears in the ones I was using.
My thoughts on the over powder wad might act as a cushion like a some shotgun wads can.
Shooting muzzle loader shotgun I'm fully aware of finding the mix. Does take some time indeed.
But all the while.......FUN.

I just wonder if dacron ,(I use in other guns) would work as well as cotton as I have lots?

MichiganMuzzy,(MM for short if you don't mind ) "Sorry this pic is so large, I copied it off of Hornady Muzzleloading Bullets 50 Cal (485 Diameter) Hard Ball Sabot Made by Hornady. Seems like a good product, all good reviews. Maybe a little like cheating tho "

MM, No sabots per my original post. I'm aware of the rb sabots. Would be unethical to use unless another shooter category was started. Thanks for sharing anyway.

"IWLA club has a traditional / no sabot shoot that I plan to participate." from my post.
sorry, forgot i already threw that one out there

No sir if you"d like look up Larry Gibson on cast boolits upper rt corner is search engine Larry has lots of experience in Dacron fillers ,A most amazing authority on lots of stuff and Quite the nam sniper (for real)/Ed

Hold a match to it, bet it melts.

Back