Cant make a decision on first muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
antman157 said:
I need some help guys ...

I cant decide what muzzleloader I want .. I have been looking at the TC Encore ($800) .. Which I love the fact I can change barrels .. But then this is my first muzzleloader .. So would I be better off getting a $200 CVA or something similar? ... So many decision ..

I already own a .308 rifle and a 12ga 870 .. So I dont know if I really need the extra barrels for the Encore ..

Any opinions?

The only drawback to this Triumph would be if you can't get down low enough on the stock to see the iron sights. It is a good price and a good rifle. Perhaps you were going to mount a scope on it anyway. This price probably won't be available for long.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

UtahRob said:
antman157 said:
I need some help guys ...

I cant decide what muzzleloader I want .. I have been looking at the TC Encore ($800) .. Which I love the fact I can change barrels .. But then this is my first muzzleloader .. So would I be better off getting a $200 CVA or something similar? ... So many decision ..

I already own a .308 rifle and a 12ga 870 .. So I dont know if I really need the extra barrels for the Encore ..

Any opinions?

I got my encore new in SS for 475.00 . nothing fancy , no speed breech plug , 26 '' barrel and it needed a limb saver recoil pad . I bought walnut stocks but ended up trading them with Saxman for his camo stocks and love them . I still got the encore even though i knew i was not going to get another barrel . Best of both worlds , still a Encore but not a ton of $$$ and gets the job done !! I had the money for a pro hunter but decided to put the extra $$$ towards a scope and sling. Only regrets , mine needed a 1x hinge pin and oversize spring for locking bolt . If i were to do it all over again, i would get a ss Omega with a camo stock its a BEAUTIFUL GUN !!!

encorecamoIMG_2051-1.jpg
:D

Id certainly pay $475 for the Encore .. Thats what I really want

Capt Gary said:
TC Encore. First model.

How much would one expect to pay for a 1) NEW or 2) USED TC Encore? Im going looking this week, and wondered what prices I might expect to pay

:D :D :D

I own 2 ACCURAS and for the money you can't go wrong. My stainless was less then $450.00 and bl/bl was $350.00. They are accurate and easy to clean. Breaks down to 3 pieces. The barrel, (BERGARA),MADE IN SPAIN,stock and forearem grip. Breech plug removal is easy and in expensive. If your not going to buy a bunch of different barrels, then why spend the money :?: :?: :?:
If you want to do that you can get the optima elite. Still less then the TC :!: :!: :!: GOOD HUNTING :!: :!: :!:

I finally broke down and bought a TC Omega SS w/laminated wood stock. The bore is like a mirror and sooooooo much smoother than my Grey Hawk.

I prefer the fact that the Omega beds into the stock like a bolt action rifle. The thumbhole stocks are very comfortable provided that you're not left-handed. The non-thumbhole stock has a good comb height for iron sights, and a peep mounted on the rear of the barrel would be great!

I have friends with Omegas, Encores, and Triumphs. The Triumph is definitely lighter and seemed to have less felt recoil(than my Omega) because of its soft recoil pad. One guy has an Omega and Encore, and the Omega outshoots the Encore, but not by much.

While most of the TC sabots I tried were pretty snug, all shot VERY well. I also shot some Knight packaged Barnes, Knight sabots with Hornady FTX bullets, MMP sabots with 240gr JHPs and all loaded about the same. You definitely need a rod with T-handle on it. BTW, I was using BH209 and not cleaning between shots. The last 3 shots were covered with a quarter at 100 yards(shot at 6x).

The Triumph and Encore are both break-open which makes for more access to the primer. Triumph uses the speed breech with quartrter turn interrupted threads. Both the Omega and Encore share the same brrechplug that requires a wrench, but have full threads. The Encore has the advantage of interchangeable barrels, but requires registering like a handgun since the receiver will accept those barrels.

I can't justify the extra $100 for a Triumph over a similar Omega. The only advantage I see in the Triumph is its lighter weight. I would buy another Omega if I had the $$.

So, the new Apex muzzleloaders have interchangable barrels now? Does anyone have one? I read where they have 13 caliburs ranging from muzzleloader, rimfire, and center fire ..

antman157 said:
Id certainly pay $475 for the Encore .. Thats what I really want

Atta Boy! Don't settle for a lesser brand. :wink: :wink:

There is a Gun Show this weekend I will be going to, wanna sell a couple guns .. Do they usually have muzzleloaders at these gun shows? Im goin with a friend, I've never been to one ...

ALSO:

Does the CVA Kodiak Pro .50 Cal. Muzzleloader have a break action where the barrel tips down .. Or is it the kind that the trigger assembly drops down to load the 209 primer?

antman157 said:
There is a Gun Show this weekend I will be going to, wanna sell a couple guns .. Do they usually have muzzleloaders at these gun shows? Im goin with a friend, I've never been to one ...

I was in the same boat as you early last spring. Figured I'd get out to a gun show so I could shoulder a bunch of guns to see what felt good. Plus I also had a shotgun to sell to pay for the ML (negotiations with the wife boiled down to loose one to get one). I went to the "Nation's Gun Ghow" in Northern VA. Big show but very dissapointing muzzleloader selection - one vender carrying TC was it. A very few MLs scattered throughout. But I was able to flip my shotgun for enough $$ to buy a ML.

Had to get out to the big sporting good box stores - Bass Pro, Gander - to see a decent selection. Ended up with an Omega X7, new off of Gunbroker. Very happy with my choice.

Capt Gary said:
TC Encore. First model.

+1 :D

A blue Encore here is going for 475 .oo , SS is around 100.00 more .

A friend of mine has a FFL so he got me a SS for 475 .00 . The fiirst thing i needed was a Sims recoil pad . The hammer fits just fin under my 1 x scope and Teflon Tapes does great job of sealing the BP . More gun than i will ever need . The $$$$ you save on your gun can go towards a scope and rings :D

I still think the $179 Disc Extreme on Gunbroker is the best deal going. I own a Disc Elite and an Encore, and I'm recommending the Knight for $179.

I think I have found the muzzleloader I am gonna get.. CVA Optima with the camo thumbhole stock .. My walmart has it
for $250 ... I think that's a good price

Back