"Slugging the Bore"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho PRB

Reaction score
I understand the reasons for slugging the bore and can see the relative simlicity in driving a lead slug completely through an inline or break action. My question is how are you accomplishing this in a barrel which does not have a removable breech plug? I am thinking one would not want to shoot it out for the chance of distortion or recovery. My mind is leaning towards a C02 discharger or possibly an air compressor.
For those of you who have done this, how did you accomplish this?
As a secondary question, how much under actual bore size are you sizing your conicals?
Thanks in advance & Happy New Year!

You put a 6"-8" section of undersized brass rod down the bore first, (ie. 1/2" diameter in a .54, 7/16" in a .50). Then turn the barrel upside down and shake up and down.

there is a device made for pulling bullets out of a M/L barrel
attaches to your ram rod and screws into the bullet so it can be pulled out
that may do the trick

I understand the reasons for slugging the bore and can see the relative simlicity in driving a lead slug completely through an inline or break action. My question is how are you accomplishing this in a barrel which does not have a removable breech plug? I am thinking one would not want to shoot it out for the chance of distortion or recovery. My mind is leaning towards a C02 discharger or possibly an air compressor.
As a secondary question, how much under actual bore size are you sizing your conicals?
PBR,
I had the same issue with my Leman full stock flinter. I talked to my Colt SAA gunsmith here in Houston and he had a complete set of bore gauges all the way from like .18 to .6250. I took the .540 and it slid down the barrel with no wobble at all, matter of fact had to turn the rifle upside down and hammer the barrel with my hand while shaking it down to finally get the darn slug to come out! If you know a good smith might contact them and see if they have anything like these (see photo). They make it much easier to start with you ball and patch combo and save you powder, lead and ignition sources!
Foolishhand

Attachments

• 094F1E3D-82C5-4EAA-8ADE-766C94B66F4D.jpeg
    094F1E3D-82C5-4EAA-8ADE-766C94B66F4D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
PS- the slugs I used my guy told me were machined .0002 less than than the indicated diameter for somewhat easier measurements.

Just to make your day, here’s my new baby. 54 full stock Leman style. A sweetieB91649D9-7BBD-4216-8B99-3B26EE3C0600.jpeg

I posted this a few times but there are 2 ways to do this. The easiest is to take a pure lead bullet and place it on a hard surface and tap it with a mallet to fatten it a little. Drill a 7/64" hole in the base and then tap it into the bore nose first. Install a 3" decking screw into the drilled hole and tap in a bit more. Grasp the screw below the head with pliers and tap the bullet out keeping the pliers loose so the bullet follows the rifling.
S3cond way is to place a heavily lubed patch in the bore about 3" and insert an appropriate caliber new brass brush leaving the threads protruding out of the muzzle. Pour molten lead down the bore to just below the crown. Screw the ramrod or range rod onto the brush but don't tighten it all the way and pull it out of the bore. Don't forget to use a worm and take out the patch.

Back