Slip fit bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skamaniac

Reaction score
My first White Rifle in a .504 will be arriving by the end of the week, so i have a few questions on bullets. I notice most guys lean towards Bull Shop 500 gr NEW or 460 gr No Excuses, but i haven't heard much about Power Punch bullets. Are the others more accurate or ?

I have a .451 Super 91 that likes the No Excuses and Power Punch in 460 grains. The bull shop bullets are not as accurate for me right now, but still have good enough accuracy for hunting...1- 1 1/2" groups vs same hole groups for the NE's/PP's at 100 yds./70 gr T73Fg.

Recommend you try some of the Bull Shop 460 grain NEx (clones), the 500 grain NEI#373, and the 560 grainers from the RCBS mould. Those should all shoot very well. He'll make you up a sample pack at his standard pricing, just email him (or Tina).

Dcp04953.jpg

Bullshop's 500 grain shot real well today out of my Ultra Mag. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f - (2) 1/16th fiber wads - and then the 500 grain conical. This group was shot without swabbing the barrel at all. The one shot next to the bull was done by me adjusting my point of aim.

Then the temperature was 94?s and I was shooting as fast as I could, and I think a combination of the heat, not swabbing, and sweat in my eyes caught up with me. My groups fell apart. I shot three more rounds and the group was unacceptable.

I then let the rifle cool some and shot two more rounds, this time with 90 grains of Goex 3f. Group #2 - I still was not happy with the goups for only being 75 yards away, so I swabbed the barrel. The next three were acceptable. Group # 1

Dcp04958.jpg

I would get some 460 & 495 No Excuse Conicals and some 460 & 500 & and bigger from Bullshop. Also get some wads. And some good fast Triple Se7en powder or some Goex 3f. Then have fun and let us know how it does.

target.jpg

here's the group (pattern) i shot yesterday from a 40 yd benchrest w/ a white lightning, .452 diameter 200 grain xtp's, black mmp sabots, and 80-90 grains pyrodex p. some scope adjustment is involved, so its not as bad as it looks. however, note that outside temperature was above 90 degrees, and the barrel became noticeably warm to the touch after only three rounds (even with swabbing between shots). also note that the very first two shots from the cold barrel, on the far right of the target, are in the same hole :wink:

Hey Dave..
On the Bullshop conicals...How easy are they to seat? Do they engrave the rifling at all?

skamaniac said:
My first White Rifle in a .504 will be arriving by the end of the week, so i have a few questions on bullets. I notice most guys lean towards Bull Shop 500 gr NEW or 460 gr No Excuses, but i haven't heard much about Power Punch bullets. Are the others more accurate or ?

I have a White Super 91 .504 which shoots the .503 460 No Excuses very well. Doc White used the 460 Power Punches for accursizing & field testing my gun & they also shot very well. Load was 75 grains 3fg 777 for Doc & same for me. No wads used.

Look forward to your shooting reports!

big6x6 said:
Hey Dave..
On the Bullshop conicals...How easy are they to seat? Do they engrave the rifling at all?

They are a dream to load in my Ultra Mag. In the begining I was dumping and shooting as fast as I could to make the rifle fail. It held in there longer then I thought it would. You dump the powder, place your wads, and seat the bullet with simple thumb pressure under the crown then seat it with the ramrod. They load as nice as the No Excuses Conicals. As for engraving the rifling, I would guess they are, but could not really say.

what are those 460 grain powerpunches sized to? .503 or .504? doc sent me a couple w/ my s91, and if they are .503, that'll be a quick way to find out if .503 bullets are the right size for the lightning . . .

Power Punches

[/quote]what are those 460 grain powerpunches sized to? .503 or .504? doc sent me a couple w/ my s91, and if they are .503, that'll be a quick way to find out if .503 bullets are the right size for the lightning . . .

This is taken from Doc's website:

.504- AVAILABLE IN 400, 440, 460, 480 AND 600 GRAIN SIZES. ALL .504 BULLETS ARE CAST AT .505, SIZED TO .5035 AND LUBED WITH WHITE'S BLUE POWERLUBE. AVAILABLE IN 50'S OR 20'S

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/white_bullets.htm

Poer Punches

Is there that much variance in the diameter of the Power Punch?

I don't know really, these few that came with my Ultra Mags are the only one's I have in .50x caliber. Have a few .451s around somewhere but didn't bother mic'ing those.

my new TRADITION PURSUIT LT ,shoots like a charm ..i use .260 grain DEAD CENTERS for bears and moose also for deer ..my question is why would anybody shoot .400 or .500 grain bullets ????????

Different strokes for different folks...but you are right, those bullets would be far too light! :wink:

Some places require conical bullets and some of us just have an aversion to milk jugs. :lol:

Underclocked said:
Different strokes for different folks...but you are right, those bullets would be far too light! :wink:

Some places require conical bullets and some of us just have an aversion to milk jugs. :lol:

this lightnin dont like plastic. UC, can't you divine the bore diameter of my rifle? ah dont have a caliper so ah was thinking maybe you'd just tell me what my bore diameter is :D i need to find some boolets it likes, tho. shot it again today w/ those 200 grain bullets and sabots, w/ powder charges from 60 to 90 grains, and gave the barrel plenty of time to cool between shots, and it was still shooting 4-8" groups

Heavys

why would anybody shoot .400 or .500 grain bullets ????????

Because I can.

black powder said:
my new TRADITION PURSUIT LT ,shoots like a charm ..i use .260 grain DEAD CENTERS for bears and moose also for deer ..my question is why would anybody shoot .400 or .500 grain bullets ????????
quote]

Because its a "Slip Fit" Kinda Thing! :lol: 8)

Kiddin aside, sorta like shootin 177 grain prb's and also shootin 370 maxiball out of the same flinter. Shootin different gun types etc. is whut keep many of us ole farts interested. Another reason is you can hear your heavywight HIT HOME!!!! :lol: :lol:

black powder said:

First off the large conicals provide excellent knock down and planting power on game. When that big conical hits they do a lot of damage. That means easier to track if they run and good blood trails.

Second, some people like different projectiles. I never thought I would be shooting something this large if you'd asked me three years ago, but since I have hunted again with the large conicals, at close ranges I see them as a definate advantage.

Last is because some rifles are designed to shoot large conicals. Just like some are made to shoot sabots, roundball, etc.. all a matter of choice.

n8dawg6, ??, ? ??? ???. 8) ?

.500 grains? That's less weight than a mosquito hair. :wink:

Back