Shooting my Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Saturday, I'll get plenty of smoke to smell... our monthly shoot it taking place :thumbs up:

That's interesting because the smell of diesel & canvas bring back memories of being in the army.
AH nothing like loading up in the "cattle trucks" in the morning heading to the rifle range !

Most of my younger years in the oilfield you paid attn. to the small flag used to detect wind direction. H2S, poison gas, from some of the wellheads had a "rotten egg" smell. BUT I do enjoy the odor of BP or any other gunpowder even from the bowling ball cannon we built (16# ball nearly 1/2 mile!) Though I smoked from 15-21 yrs of age, strong cigarette smoke gets to me. Went to our 17th superbowl party at a local bar. You could cut the smoke with a knife. Got home, put everything in the washer and took a shower to get it out of our hair. My point ? never had to do that after a BP shoot or rondy. Abit off topic, but it came to mind.

Most of my younger years in the oilfield you paid attn. to the small flag used to detect wind direction. H2S, poison gas, from some of the wellheads had a "rotten egg" smell. BUT I do enjoy the odor of BP or any other gunpowder even from the bowling ball cannon we built (16# ball nearly 1/2 mile!) Though I smoked from 15-21 yrs of age, strong cigarette smoke gets to me. Went to our 17th superbowl party at a local bar. You could cut the smoke with a knife. Got home, put everything in the washer and took a shower to get it out of our hair. My point ? never had to do that after a BP shoot or rondy. Abit off topic, but it came to mind.
Black Powder smells OK to me. Pyrodex is what stinks bad! Smells like my gym locker in high school when I opened it to take home my clothes at the end of the week.

I rarely notice any sulfur smell when I shoot. What I smell is SMOKE! During cleaning is about the only time I become aware of sulfur compound odors. To me black powder smoke is as friendly as smoke from a warm campfire.

I rarely notice any sulfur smell when I shoot. What I smell is SMOKE! During cleaning is about the only time I become aware of sulfur compound odors. To me black powder smoke is as friendly as smoke from a warm campfire.

Yep, the rotten egg smell comes after... when you clean your muzzleloader.... ☕

Yesterday at our monthly shoot, I used Goex FFFg, and found cleanup of the FFFg was actually easier than FFg... just wish the price was cheaper by the pound :thumbs up: I missed two targets.... a cracker on a 2x4, and a metal gong because my shoulder was giving me fits. Reloaded for the gong and redeemed myself on that one. All shots fired using 50gr FFFg Goex, using cut patched round ball.

Why does anyone care what the powder smells like as long as it does the job at hand?! I am starting to find that the older folks get the more they turn things like(cleaning a gun, ballistics, bullet size, and weight, and just about everything else) in to rocket science. It's not.
We can't wait for you, but enjoy it when you get here. I don't think It's rocket science, its nuance and wisdom or experience being shared. Savor it. JMO obviously.

I never seem to notice it, but I use Triple Seven.
Yesterday at our monthly shoot, I used Goex FFFg, and found cleanup of the FFFg was actually easier than FFg... just wish the price was cheaper by the pound :thumbs up: I missed two targets.... a cracker on a 2x4, and a metal gong because my shoulder was giving me fits. Reloaded for the gong and redeemed myself on that one. All shots fired using 50gr FFFg Goex, using cut patched round ball.
I use FFFG as well. It seems to work well, and clean up is easy.

I use 3F almost exclusively in absolutely everything. .32 up to .62.

Back