Slugging bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Hey Cayuga,
How does one go about slugging a bore that does not have a removable breech block? The only way I can think of would be to drop a really light charge, 10 gr. or so down the barrel first, and then fire it into about a ton? of soft wadding. If I can't drive the slug out the breech end, how do I remove it fron the barrel? Using a bullet puller sounds like it would be a major project. Any ideas?
Thanks once again for all the help. All you guys a great.
Twees

Tweesdad

The easiest way might be to get a regular conical built for your caliber... With a short starter start it down the bore - then complete the push with the ram rod.

Remove the ram rod and loading tip - screw on a tip for extracting a round ball or conical - turn it into the nose of the conical - pull it back out of the bore and you can easily measure the Land to Land distance. Once you have the land to land you will know the diameter you need for a slip fit conical.

Just my 2 cents...

First, I put a steel rod by 10 inches long and 3/8 inch wide down slowly to the breechplug.

Then I slug with pure lead some what larget than the bore, with a brass hammer, down by about 6 - 7 inches.

Then the rod do the extraction job: out and in.

Etienne Brule

Etienne Br?l? said:
Just my 2 cents...

First, I put a steel rod by 10 inches long and 3/8 inch wide down slowly to the breechplug.

Then I slug with pure lead some what larget than the bore, with a brass hammer, down by about 6 - 7 inches.

Then the rod do the extraction job: out and in.

Etienne Brule

Hell of an idea. Thank you very much. Going to do exactly that.

Back