sealing 209 primer pockets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still trying to find a nylon PTFE based ring/shim that could work. Something like that should last longer and work with bolt actions.

What about delrin and just sand down the thickness to fit?
https://www.superiorwasher.com/washer/490-17-016/490-17-016.html
There is a hard buna-n available. Durometer hardness of 90 versus the normal 70 rating of the other o-ring option. Theres also a 75 rated viton o-ring. Its tough to find many options in o-rings of that specific size.

The oring itself is still round, it has a square cross section. It would make more surface contact at the sides and bottom of the primer pocket and against the face of the primer. The round ones last 20-40 shots before the are wornout and i replace them. Im just thinking they might get 50-60 shots instead. Just an experiment.
View attachment 32415View attachment 32416

Did you or Ron ever have a chance to Test these?

Not yet. Last chance i had to get to the range i couldnt find the VF modules i wanted to try them with. And i havent shot the Accura in a lil while.
Spendy little shits aren't they? I have a mess of the round ones and will stick to those where I need one. None of my guns use them at the moment with the Wichester primers, and if the cheddite primers need one I have one.. Or a bunch.

So ive been tinkering with some breech plugs and the square profile o-rings. Thanks billyboy*, for sending me some. In my CVAs the sq o-rings compress just fine. In my Omega… not ‘no’ but HELL NO! So I did a bit of mod work to a few breech plugs that I’ll start a new thread on, soon.
I use the round orings in my cva apex and optima elete that are center fire actions and they are very tight. I have to slam the action pretty hard to get them to compress when they are new but once they are broken in it’s not too bad. Now on the cva accura and optima muzzleloader actions all one has to do is adjust the firing pin bushing in some to compensate for a tight oring. That said I don’t know if the omega action has a adjustable headspace for the primer ?

I use the round orings in my cva apex and optima elete that are center fire actions and they are very tight. I have to slam the action pretty hard to get them to compress when they are new but once they are broken in it’s not too bad. Now on the cva accura and optima muzzleloader actions all one has to do is adjust the firing pin bushing in some to compensate for a tight oring. That said I don’t know if the omega action has a adjustable headspace for the primer ?
I think that at some point TC changed the firing pin bushing from the rear to the front. The front style might be shim-able.

So ive been tinkering with some breech plugs and the square profile o-rings. Thanks billyboy*, for sending me some. In my CVAs the sq o-rings compress just fine. In my Omega… not ‘no’ but HELL NO! So I did a bit of mod work to a few breech plugs that I’ll start a new thread on, soon.
I knew getting a Kibler Woods Runner 54 cal would pay off , getting 3x the shots with no O ring!!! /Ed

Latest posts

Back