Rotary Capper

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kentucky Colonel said:
Sweet! I am looking forward to seeing this. :cheers:
KC
 Hold on there partner... This may take a little while? I laid out the circles on brass shet stock yesterday morning, but that's as far as I got.  I have every intention of doing this, but it takes a back seat for the time being. I'm thrilled that you have an interest in it. I'm not certain how "time feasible" these rotary cappers are? I just made a couple 'cause I thought it was a neat idea. When you factor in the time required, they're not too cost effective? NOW...if you want to look REALLY cool at the next rendezvous then by all means knock yourself out! I'll show you how it's done, then it's up to you to decide if you want to take the time to make one? Not many people have ever had much interest in the things I make, so this is new territory for me. That's why I loved being a vocational technology teacher, my students wanted to know how to make the things I showed them. Thank you.
God bless:
Stoney

rotary11.jpg

rotary12.jpg

rotary10.jpg

FrontierGander said:
Stoney1 - His words,

Here's something that I made back in the 70's.

STONEY, A GENTLEMAN BY THE NAME OF RUSS HAMN MADE THESE FROM THE LATE 60'S TO EARLY 70'S THEN GAVE THE DESIGN TO TED CASH [TC] (NOT THE RIFLE COMPANY). ADVERTISED IN MUZZLE BLASTS AND BUCKSKIN REPORT.

It's a "Rotary Capper" I can't take credit for its authenticity, but I can take credit for re-introducing it to the Black Powder community. I actually found one of these in a "Mountain Man museum" here in Pennsylvania back in the 70's.  

STONEY, YOU DIDN'T "RE-INTRODUCE". RUSS HAMN TOLD US BACK IN THE LATE 60'S HE HAD AN ORIGINAL HE HAD COPIED FOR HIS DESIGN THAT HE WAS SELLING.

This was supposedly something that Mountain Men in the 17 and 1800's made and used? I didn't have an opportunity to "handle" it so I had to depend on my memory to recreate it when I got back home.

THEY DATE MID 1800'S TO THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR PRODUCED IN THE NEW ENGLAND STATES IN LARGE NUMBERS - UNION TROOPS.

God bless:
Two Feathers
at The mountain Man Emporium

100_0611.jpg

Buck Conner said:
FrontierGander said:
Stoney1 - His words,

Here's something that I made back in the 70's.

STONEY, A GENTLEMAN BY THE NAME OF RUSS HAMN MADE THESE FROM THE LATE 60'S TO EARLY 70'S THEN GAVE THE DESIGN TO TED CASH [TC] (NOT THE RIFLE COMPANY). ADVERTISED IN MUZZLE BLASTS AND BUCKSKIN REPORT.

It's a "Rotary Capper" I can't take credit for its authenticity, but I can take credit for re-introducing it to the Black Powder community. I actually found one of these in a "Mountain Man museum" here in Pennsylvania back in the 70's.  

STONEY, YOU DIDN'T "RE-INTRODUCE". RUSS HAMN TOLD US BACK IN THE LATE 60'S HE HAD AN ORIGINAL HE HAD COPIED FOR HIS DESIGN THAT HE WAS SELLING.

This was supposedly something that Mountain Men in the 17 and 1800's made and used? I didn't have an opportunity to "handle" it so I had to depend on my memory to recreate it when I got back home.

THEY DATE MID 1800'S TO THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR PRODUCED IN THE NEW ENGLAND STATES IN LARGE NUMBERS - UNION TROOPS.

God bless:
Two Feathers
at The mountain Man Emporium

100_0611.jpg
Buck
I  didn't take credit for  inventing it. I said I re-introduced it to today's BP community. WHICH I DID!! Don't confuse re-introduction with re-inventing? Until now, NO ONE I know of (including the members) ever heard of, or had seen one. Apparently it's not THAT well known or I wouldn't have been asked to do a tutorial on how I made it! I was asked by some of the members to show them how I made mine, so they can make one. I always say "NO good deed goes unpunished," Thank you for confirming that. I guess that'll be the end of the tutorial? Apparently anyone who wants to make one can just ask Russ Hamm, I'm sure he'll be happy to pass along written instructions....for a fee. Thank you for pointing out to me that helping isn't necessarily a good thing.
 I'd like to know if any of the members REALLY do want to know how they're made, before I waste more time? Thanks again for the info. If anyone IS interested please let me know here.
God bless:
Stoney

stoney1 said:
I  didn't take credit for  inventing it. I said I re-introduced it to today's BP community. WHICH I DID!! Don't confuse re-introduction with re-inventing?

I always say "NO good deed goes unpunished," Thank you for confirming that. I guess that'll be the end of the tutorial? Apparently anyone who wants to make one can just ask Ted Cash, I'm sure he'll be happy to pass along written instructions....for a fee. 
How can you "re-introduce" or "take credit" for something that's been around since the invention of the percussion cap in the early 1800's. Log Cabin Shop, Track of the Wolf and about every muzzleloading shop around has sold like cappers since opening, Dixie Gun Works has sold them since 1954 when they opened their doors and still does today. Ted Cash supplies many items to the industry and one of those items are a number of different style cappers. Sorry old friend you lost me in what you claim.

Buck Conner said:
stoney1 said:
I  didn't take credit for  inventing it. I said I re-introduced it to today's BP community. WHICH I DID!! Don't confuse re-introduction with re-inventing?

I always say "NO good deed goes unpunished," Thank you for confirming that. I guess that'll be the end of the tutorial? Apparently anyone who wants to make one can just ask Ted Cash, I'm sure he'll be happy to pass along written instructions....for a fee. 
How can you "re-introduce" or "take credit" for something that's been around since the invention of the percussion cap in the early 1800's. Log Cabin Shop, Track of the Wolf and about every muzzleloading shop around has sold like cappers since opening, Dixie Gun Works has sold them since 1954 when they opened their doors and still does today. Ted Cash supplies many items to the industry and one of those items are a number of different style cappers. Sorry old friend you lost me in what you claim.
Buck
 You're right, I'm wrong, you win, I lose. Apparently I misunderstood the purpose of this website. I simply made the statement that without my reintroduction of the capper that I made (not invented) a lot of the guys would never have seen one. It was gift to Frontier Gander, not something meant to spark a range war over who said what? You're the authority on all things Black Powder. I apologize. I guess this is what you wanted to hear? Oh....  I DID NOT take credit for inventing it, look closer at my original post, I said that I cannot take credit for inventing it, but I can take credit for reintroducing it the the BP community, meaning that I simply showed people this thing. They can interpret that information as they see fit. Also, mine does not operate like the one you showed in your reply. Mine rotates, the one you showed looks to stay stationary?
God bless:
Stoney

this is crazy! I just read about this style of capper in the book, buckskins & black powder lol.

Dave I wouldnt worry to much about it buddy! Just some misunderstanding IMO.

Dave my sediments too, don't worry about it.  Keep up the fine work.  I enjoy your contribution to the forum as I'm sure hundreds of others forum members do.  Sometimes folks interpret things a little too seriously and forget we're here to "enjoy" the camaraderie.

Bob, I don't take any medications "what you have, you deal with".  

You guys don't understand the relationship between my old bud Dave and myself, he'll give me trouble and I return the thought. That keeps both of us thinking. 

We have kicked around more ideas than you guys would believe on styles of knives, sheaths and pricing that only the two of us know about. All in trying to make historically correct pieces of art for you guys. By the way his work has improved and would be considered "pieces of art" in today's world.

Smokin' Joe said:
Dave my sediments too, don't worry about it.  Keep up the fine work.  I enjoy your contribution to the forum as I'm sure hundreds of others forum members do.  Sometimes folks interpret things a little too seriously and forget we're here to "enjoy" the camaraderie.
Joe
 Thank you for the vote of confidence. I'm thrilled to know that you guys have my back. Buck and I DO work on blade patterns, sheath styles, and pricing. Buck has become a good friend, but I do have to say this conversation HAS raised a few hackles, at least on my end? Maybe it wasn't meant to, but the problem with internet correspondences is, You can't HEAR vocal inflections (or feel sentiment.) My work HAS improved, but it's still MY work. My hope from the start, was to make a few bucks and have a good time while doing it, but most important to me, is trying to help newbies realize that, YES..They can do this stuff too! Period Correctness and American Made are very important to me as well.
God bless:
Dave
Two Feathers
at
The Mountain Man Emporium

FrontierGander said:
this is crazy! I just read about this style of capper in the book, buckskins & black powder lol.

Dave I wouldnt worry to much about it buddy! Just some misunderstanding IMO.
Frontier Gander
 Thanks.. My wife accuses me of being too "sensitive", sometimes maybe I am? It looks like it's under control? Thanks again for letting me put my things in the Mountain Man Emporium. I hope the members find my new designs worthy of a look and maybe a purchase?
God bless:
Dave

patocazador said:
Old people get grouchy. Take your Geritol, Buck, and feel better.
Bob
 Thanks buddy, I appreciate the support, but we're all friends here...right? Although some of the posts make it hard to believe at times? :shock:
God bless:
Dave

Buck Conner said:
Bob, I don't take any medications "what you have, you deal with".  

You guys don't understand the relationship between my old bud Dave and myself, he'll give me trouble and I return the thought. That keeps both of us thinking. 

We have kicked around more ideas than you guys would believe on styles of knives, sheaths and pricing that only the two of us know about. All in trying to make historically correct pieces of art for you guys. By the way his work has improved and would be considered "pieces of art" in today's world.
Buck
 What can I say??????? I lost it for a while, sorry. Penny ante playground crap shouldn't be displayed here. This forum is for learning not antagonizing. I apologize to it's members and Frontier Gander for my poor behavior. Please forgive me guys.
God bless:
Dave

Old age and you need to change your brand of booze ......  :shock:   :tongue:   :lol!:

Buck Conner said:
Old age and you need to change your brand of booze ......  :shock:   :tongue:   :lol!:
Buck
 ??????  Not sure what this post means? I AM old, BUT I don't drink. I have a few new designs, and thanks for the "pieces of art compliment."
God bless:
Dave

stoney1 said:
Buck Conner said:
Stoney do you have any new knives? Was thinking about something a little different to help sales. If interested I can provide measurements, would stay with your handle shape and brass or steel pins. If not I'll put them back in the safe for another day.

18rwwfty1c4l1jpg.jpg
The top knife has an interesting shape as does the second one. The bottom is like ones you have made (talking blades not handles).​

Buck, I can make you whatever you want within reason. The bottom one I'm in the process of making right now. It's a smaller Roach Belly with a 4 inch blade (No bolster), Black Walnut handle slabs, and Iron pins. I'll email you a picture of the blank. If it's acceptable, we'll talk! Yup, give me measurements.
Stoney
Buck Conner said:
stoney1 said:
Buck Conner said:
Stoney do you have any new knives? Was thinking about something a little different to help sales. If interested I can provide measurements, would stay with your handle shape and brass or steel pins. If not I'll put them back in the safe for another day.

18rwwfty1c4l1jpg.jpg
The top knife has an interesting shape as does the second one. The bottom is like ones you have made (talking blades not handles).​

Latest posts

Back