Questions for Knight 45 and 54 owners.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Have you tried the Knight Power Stem or other stemmed conversions in a 45.

I know its mainly used for T7 and not good for BH209.

Did it work well with other loose powder such as APP/JSG or Pyrodex? APP/JSG isnt known for top velocity but......

How much powder was the minimum to cover the stem? I know in larger calibers it really shined with "magnum" loads according to reviews ive seen.

Roughly how much powder above the stem gave you results you liked?

If you had a chronograph, what fps effect did you notice with T7 vs a standard breach plug design? The limited data ive seen showed near BH209 or better performance in .50+ bores.

I prefer 3FG in loose powders, is this a better option. IMO it should be but i have no data to backup my opinion. Considering the smaller bore has less volume per length vs a 50cal+ is seems correct.

Did it have any real world impact on the crud ring or in your opinion did Knight exaggerate a bit on this one issue.? It looks like the ring is better but complete cleaning past the stem requires the plug to be removed?

I already use BH209 for my larger powder charges so im happy using that for more serious shooting. Getting a fps improvement in (cheaper) 90gr charges or less with T7 (mainly) and possibly 100gr of JSG 3FG would be a nice option.

The plug im converting is a CVA type used in the Accura 45. I will mostly be using just the standard Lehigh vent liner but im curious about trying a stemmed liner also when not using BH209.

Thank you

I have used the power stem for my 45 knight. at 130 grains of t7(loose) the primers showed signs of excess pressure. Accuarcy was very good at first but went down hill after 20-30 shots. I suspect that the stem fouled and with the length and diameter of it it is hard to clean. I was using t7 primers, Remington,Since switching to BH209 the t7 and the power stem haven't been used. As far as the crud ring I always spit patch dry patch between shots so it was never noticable with or without the powerstem.

Check out Sabot loaders post I believe it was on vent liners. I think from the looks of the picture that might be a cleanable extension, and considering he prefers 777 it might have been designed to add efficiency.

Updated the title to include 54cal owners

I might try it in my GMB54 too since it will be an easy swap when the NFPJ conversions are available from Lehigh.

Thanks again guys. The Stem i will be testing is not the Knight Power Stem.

I did in one of my SS 45cal Disc Elite, 1:30 twist. Adjusted all powder loads so the ignition was dead center of the charge. Powders tested were APP 3F, Pinnacle 3F, Trip7 2F.

Positive results:
Gained about 100fps. Burned all powders almost residue free.

Negative results:
Extreme recoil. Trip7 Recoil was the worst!!!! :!:
Trip7 actually MELTED a Halo into my rifling at the exact point of ignition....after only 10 shots :shock: :evil: :x

Sold the Power Stem, and Purchased another 45 SS Elite to replace it
:roll: :?

lane

Thank you

That is the kind of experience/opinions im looking for.

Im not as concerned with using heavy T7 charges but if i can get JSG 3FG to gain some velocity with moderate/low charges i would be happy. Its not great stuff but it does clean up easy and its cheap in my area. Availability is also very good.

Location of the stem in relation to the powder charge is helpful too.

Looking at all the data for APP/JSG shows it is much lower pressure and probably burns a bit cooler too. I will avoid the T7 with the stem even though its not the Knight stem but a prototype.

Thank you for the warning. I WONT use it in my GMB54 at all. Its my baby and i dont want to take any chances with it.

How much APP were you using in the 45?

Latest posts

Back