Rifle Primers Six Month Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installing one of those bushing in a Knight Breech Plug may be the best way to go. It may be easier to remove the brazed vent liner if one were going to install the bushing and not a vent liner. The 0.030" bushing would work good. One can't use rifle primers in the Knight plugs, so using the bushing would be an excellent solution to vent liners that wear out using shotgun primers. Wonder what the thread of the locking collar is? Perhaps 5/16-24.. 3/8-24..

Well...I got to thinking about the info in this post, obsessing really, and had some of the original Precision Rifle primer adapters for small rifle primers from back several years ago that I had purchased in my quest to get rid of, or minimize, the "Crud Ring". I was curious to see if I used small rifle magnum primers would it ignite BH209. I actually Googled this and did not find where anyone had tried it. Even looked on the PR website.

So...I bought a box of the CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum Primers just to find out. Loaded them in the primer adapters and headed to my friends that has a range set up behind his house. First test was on a Knight DISC MHC 50 caliber loaded with 100 grains of BH209. It ignited every time but had a noticeable, split second, clickboom hang fire. Tried it three times and each time I got the hang fire. The breech plug in this Knight is the Lehigh plug that is modified for straight 209 primers with the Lehigh vent liners.

My next test was on a Thompson Center Omega X7 with the factory TC breech plug. Same results. Split second hang fire, clickboom. Shot two times with the TC and each time a very slight hesitation same as the Knight. After the first hang fire in the Knight I made sure that I held the stock firm to my shoulder waiting for the powder to go off and every time with the SRMP it was delayed.

The only thing positive I could add is that the blow back into the Knight was basically nothing. Especially compared to the standard W209 primers that I have been using.

While my plug is different, I too had tried the SRMP in a 38 case in mine instead of the LRMP. Results were pretty much the same as you saw. I have never had an issue with the LRMP though.

ronlaughlin said:
Installing one of those bushing in a Knight Breech Plug may be the best way to go. It may be easier to remove the brazed vent liner if one were going to install the bushing and not a vent liner. The 0.030" bushing would work good. One can't use rifle primers in the Knight plugs, so using the bushing would be an excellent solution to vent liners that wear out using shotgun primers. Wonder what the thread of the locking collar is? Perhaps 5/16-24.. 3/8-24..

Im not sure on the locking ring thread size.

I want to try a .030 bushing in a real Lehigh plug but it will likely make the flash channel very short. Thats a simple fix if you were Dave at Lehigh. Just dont recess the vent pocket so deep. Someone modding a plug himself may try opening up the flash channel to 7/32 but leave enough shoulder for the bushing to rest against. This may or may not work. Im really not sure if that will keep enough volume in the channel or not.

If it worked without too much stress on the 209 primer, it may be worth trying the .040 bushing also.

The bushing being 0.375" long is the exact same length as a Savage vent liner; it shouldn't shorten the length of the flame channel at all if one can thread the collar into the pocket. Another possible solution is to just use some JB weld, and glue the bushing in place flush with the vent pocket, which would leave the flame channel unchanged from what it is now. Perhaps just a press fit would be just fine. Myself, i would not enlarge the flame channel to 7/32" in a Lehigh plug, nor would i try the 0.040" bushing. The 5/32" leaves a nice shelf for the primer to seal against, and the 0.030" flash hole would be perfect for W209 primers.

Thinking about it some, leads me to believe the bushing is a perfect fix for the Knight breech plug, and bolt which require the use of shotgun primers. For the Mountaineer, and the Ultra-Light, the 0.030" bushing would be a lifetime cure for the woes of the brazed vent liner, and it is possible, a press fit would work just fine.

Latest posts

Back