Rifle for woman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
I am wanting to buy an accurate, cheap, low recoil, hard hitting gun for a woman to deer hunt with. What is your suggestions for gun and caliber...it seems the H&R single shots fit her very well.
Need 200 yard accuracy most shots under 100

I would like to even try the low recoil loads do they hit as hard to the animal or just lighter powder?

I don't want 2 spend much

If this is going to be a simple couple weeks a year meat and potatoes rifle, then nothing fancy is needed. If you want to shoot BlackHorn then you are restricted to a certain type of action. Low end would suggest CVA, Traditions, Remington, or H&R sidekick. The 200 yard thing is going to need a scope, but I think any rifle with a good scope will shoot that far. As for recoil load it down to 100 grains and a good bullet and shoot that. Recoil should not be all that bad, accuracy should be excellent, and with a good bullet it will do the rest. The cost of good glass will be another cost for you to keep in mind.

Start looking for Christmas bargins.. I just picked up a stainless steel Remington Genesis which I believe could be a 200 yard rifle from Cabela's. But my understanding is they are sold out. Yet someone said there is a fluted model now for $200.00 after the rebate. That's a good rifle as well.

I would highly recomend looking at a Winchester model 70 Featherweight compact in .243.

JC

The Model 70 Compact is a scaled down version on the standard Model 70. The shorter length makes the rifle makes it an ideal rilfe for smaller individuals including women shooters and younger shooters. Because of the smaller size of the weapon, the Compact is an ideal "mountain rifle." The Rifle is available in the Calibers of 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester, and 7mm-08 Remington. All Compacts have a 4 round magazine. The Rifles have wood stocks.

This needs to be a centerfire rec. not ml...what about the h&R single shots?

turkey said:
This needs to be a centerfire rec. not ml...what about the h&R single shots?
My boys both harvested deer with a .243 in the H&R. Both were pretty scrawny at the time and had no trouble handling them. Solid 1 1/2" 100yd groups. I wouldn't let them shoot farther than that so I can't comment on 200yds.

Womans Gun

257 Roberts, great round and proven. My wife is small statured and shoots this quite well. No flinch!

turkey said:
I am wanting to buy an accurate, cheap, low recoil, hard hitting gun for a woman to deer hunt with. What is your suggestions for gun and caliber...it seems the H&R single shots fit her very well.
Need 200 yard accuracy most shots under 100

I would like to even try the low recoil loads do they hit as hard to the animal or just lighter powder?

I don't want 2 spend much

The NEF in .30-30 would be perfect if you want hard hitting.

The Stevens 200 in a suitable caliber would aslo be good. You can get them for about $300.00

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

I would avoid rimless cartridges in the NEF Handi Rifle.

Hard hitting and low recoil aren't an easy thing to combine. The .45-70 was my first thought but it kicks a little.

If you are looking to do this at a fairly low cost, I would look at the Stevens or the Marlin XL7. Both of these have tested very well, with groups running from 1-1.5" at 100 on average.

If you are going to go with the Stevens 200, I would look at it in .308. I have been shooting a fair amount of the Remington managed recoil in .308 and 30-06 and it has been very pleasant to shoot, along the lines of the .243 in recoil. The .243 may have those beat in energy out past 200, but if the shots are under 200, the managed recoil loads would work fine. This also allows her to use the full power loads in .308 or .30-06 if needed and she can handle the recoil.

As the Marlin XL7 is only offered in long action right now, I would look at the .270 win, which has done very well in this gun for about $275. Managed recoil loads can be had in the .270 win, which would be rather mild, while full power loads are not too bad.

If you want an H&R (which does not save you much over the two above), I would look at the 30-30 as well. The .243 has been hit or miss accuracy wise and since remington took over H&R there have been some hiccups with service.

Whatevery you choose, make sure it fits her before buying it, otherwise it won't be fun for her.

I'd also suggest the 243. Low recoil and ammunition is realily available almost every where. Rifle likely lighter and easier to handle than some of the larger calibers.

gun

mannlicher sporter stocked .243 in Cabelas. Short gun. Was there 2 weeks ago.

A 243 in a "excellent" caliber choice. For any new hunter a T/C Encore or G2 offers versatility of changing barrels, easy to un-load and light enough on the shoulder.

In the excitement of hunting having a "visual" hammer that is either cocked or un-cocked adds a margin of safety for the hunter as well as the husband turned hunting guide.

Chocdog

I went from a 30-06 "down" to a .243 a couple years ago and wish I did it 30 years ago! Dad started me with a 30-06 and I was too young.

A H&R or NEF or Rossi single shot is a good and price effective gun. Sometimes they have "sales" and sell the gun with 3 barrels - 20 ga, .243, and .22. That's a complete package.

If you shop around a little you can probably get a Walmart rifle - Mossberg, Remington, Stevens for less than $300.

Put a decent scope - 4x or 6x or 2-7x or 3-9x on there and you'll be good for many years to come.

The 30-30 is also a great round with limited recoil and thanks to Hornady leverevolution ammo, is good for 200 yards. I also really like the 30-30 and could drive tacks with the one I had.

The reduced recoil loads in 30-06, 270, 308, and others also open those doors. It may be a way to go.

I still like my .243 for the little 100# deer we have down here.

I too would vote for the Handi Rifle in 243 Win, cheap, accurate, and will kill any deer on this continent.

photo_sbs-sy5-slscope.jpg

This is their Super Light as it weighs in at just over 5 pounds (w/o scope). Also remember that the lighter the gun the higher the recoil. Not that the 243 Win has a lot of recoil. I shoot one in a handgun that is very mild to shoot.

My wife has taken a leave from deer hunting due to health problems. But for 20 years she took many deer with a 243 win. All were one shot kills. Nothing she hit got away and she only ever missed one. We had a 700 Mountain rifle cut off to fit her back when you didn't need to sell a kidney to buy one. Rifle weight, low recoil and proper fit gave her all the confidence needed to make her a heck of a deer shooter. What ever you decide meet those 3 factors and you'll get lucky enough to enjoy the best dang hunting buddy you ever could imagine.

How about a Savage bolt action in 7mm-08. A great deer round and not much recoil.

what cal for wife

what about a 25-06 or a 7mm08 they both shoot real well and hardly any kick also stevens ,i have in them shoot 3/4 to 1 inch at 100 yards with 3200 bushnell scopes rudy

A Savage package rifle in .243. Really hard to beat for the money.

Alternate- a Stevens 200 in .243.

I have a contender in 6.8 SPC and it would be the PERFECT combo.. gun is pricey being a tc but the 6.8 is EXCELLENT for what you describe. Will be my sons first rifle.

Doohan said:
I have a contender in 6.8 SPC and it would be the PERFECT combo.. gun is pricey being a tc but the 6.8 is EXCELLENT for what you describe. Will be my sons first rifle.

Now I am jealous...I always thought the 6.8 would be an excellent whitetail deer round. I just wish they made it in a mini mauser/cz type rifle.

Back