Ummm... Did it AGAIN...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My muzzleloader needs, being fully met in my current collection, I've dabbled in breechloaders.
I just added a Ruger Marlin 1894 Classic in .357 Magnum.
Gotta say, the quality of machining, fit and finish is superior to the original JMs I've seen and owned. Ruger REALLY got this right!
I put a Burris 1.5x Full Field on, in low mounts, and took her to the range with a box of Federal 158 grain soft points.
Now her trigger needs a bit of work. It's not terrible, but better is better!
Today was WINDY with snow squals and 37°. Curiosity got the better of me...
Feed, fire and extraction were 100%. Ejection was a bit lazy. Copper fouling and barrel heat were conspicuous by their absence. Took 4 patches to get 25 rounds worth of powder fouling out of the barrel, which is hammer forged b.t.w.
Recoil and muzzleblast were ridiculous. Barely a bump on the shoulder and the muzzleblast was LESS than the fella next to me shooting a suppressed. 308 with supersonic ammo! We were both shocked! His went CRACK. Mine was more of a blap.This is a carbine I could shoot all day!
The 1.5x Burris is a good match for this one. But an old Weaver 2.5 or a compact 4x wouldn't be out of place...
Flyers were all called. The day was not ideal...
So. 50 yard 3 round groups were around an inch.Give or take. On a calmer day I could probably do better. Consistency of point of impact is as important to me as accuracy and this Ruger Marlin did not disappoint! She also failed to string shot vertically or horizontally. A very nice trait in any rifle and especially in a barrel banded lever action.
The Federal 158 grain soft point seems a highly regarded carbine load. I haven't chrono'd them yet, but videos indicate the load giving around 1750 fps from a carbine. Not terribly expensive either, at $38 for 50.
Seems like a good 100 yard deer rifle.
More to come!

Attachments

• 20240309_190409.jpg
    20240309_190409.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_190415.jpg
    20240309_190415.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_151846.jpg
    20240310_151846.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_164907.jpg
    20240310_164907.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
They are a nice handy little rifle. I had one for years and carried it as a truck gun and atv gun. I sold it ealier this year for a tidy sum and now carry my 94 in 30-30

Nice find. I could see owning one just as a fun gun. Relatively cheap factory fodder and reloading shouldn't be too bad either if the components don't go away.

I really like the wood on that gun. It appears to fit well and the checkering and finish just make the gun look warm.... friendly. Like a ever gun should look.

She is fun! The wood to metal fit is like it grew around the metal. There are slight gaps, as there should be, behind the tangs and the checkering is well done.
The .357 Ruger Marlins haven't been out very long and aren't easy to find. This shop had a dozen .44s a couple months ago, and one lonely .357. All are gone now.
The .44 magnum doesn't interest me. Now if it was a .44-40...
The .357 does a LOT on a little bit of powder. The idea of 3-400 shots per pound is VERY attractive and cast bullets are definitely a bonus.
It seems lots of folk report excellent results from the .357 from a carbine on deer, the additional velocity causing the bullet to dump its energy VERY quickly. This is an effect I'm very familiar with due to my experience with pistol bullets in my muzzleloaders.
When this infernal wind stops, LORD willing, I'm gonna burn the rest of that box of Federal 158s.
And what's with the 158 grain anyway? Just add the 2 grains and call it a 160!

Too bad it didn’t come with a large lever. Then you could fire it from the hip like Chuck Conners did in the Rifleman. 😁

Last edited:
My muzzleloader needs, being fully met in my current collection, I've dabbled in breechloaders.
I just added a Ruger Marlin 1894 Classic in .357 Magnum.
Gotta say, the quality of machining, fit and finish is superior to the original JMs I've seen and owned. Ruger REALLY got this right!
I put a Burris 1.5x Full Field on, in low mounts, and took her to the range with a box of Federal 158 grain soft points.
Now her trigger needs a bit of work. It's not terrible, but better is better!
Today was WINDY with snow squals and 37°. Curiosity got the better of me...
Feed, fire and extraction were 100%. Ejection was a bit lazy. Copper fouling and barrel heat were conspicuous by their absence. Took 4 patches to get 25 rounds worth of powder fouling out of the barrel, which is hammer forged b.t.w.
Recoil and muzzleblast were ridiculous. Barely a bump on the shoulder and the muzzleblast was LESS than the fella next to me shooting a suppressed. 308 with supersonic ammo! We were both shocked! His went CRACK. Mine was more of a blap.This is a carbine I could shoot all day!
The 1.5x Burris is a good match for this one. But an old Weaver 2.5 or a compact 4x wouldn't be out of place...
Flyers were all called. The day was not ideal...
So. 50 yard 3 round groups were around an inch.Give or take. On a calmer day I could probably do better. Consistency of point of impact is as important to me as accuracy and this Ruger Marlin did not disappoint! She also failed to string shot vertically or horizontally. A very nice trait in any rifle and especially in a barrel banded lever action.
The Federal 158 grain soft point seems a highly regarded carbine load. I haven't chrono'd them yet, but videos indicate the load giving around 1750 fps from a carbine. Not terribly expensive either, at $38 for 50.
Seems like a good 100 yard deer rifle.
More to come!
I think you're right, good 100yd (maybe alittle more) whitetail medicine!

Ooooh! Good one!
But, with one exception, I don't give them human names. I don't do that with critters either.
This little one is very addicting! .22 light, slick as can be, accurate and deer capable. Got my dies, primers and powder, Lil Gun and H110. Need to find me some 158 grain XTPs. Flat nose or hollow points, either will do for now.
I'm beginning to get a serious " What have I done?" vibe...

Nice find. I could see owning one just as a fun gun. Relatively cheap factory fodder and reloading shouldn't be too bad either if the components don't go away.

I really like the wood on that gun. It appears to fit well and the checkering and finish just make the gun look warm.... friendly. Like a ever gun should look.
Me too. Love blue and wood. Your warm and friendly description nails it.

Chrono'd her today. With Federal A.E. 158 gr soft points, 1760 fps with a high/ low of 30 fps.
Not too shabby!
Gotta square up the crosshairs better though. Unless I'm really careful, she tosses shots to the right.
She still groups around an inch for 3 at 50.
Except this beauty! Rats on the first shot though...

Attachments

• 20240312_113648.jpg
    20240312_113648.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 0
Back