Replacing my Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdyjoe

Reaction score
I have a CVA Hawken with a badly pitted bore and want to replace it.  I have found that Deer Creek Products sells barrels for my rifle and am wondering if anyone has experience with them.  The barrels appear to be NOS and they are "white" so, they will need bluing/browning.  I have no experience with any "after market" barrels and would appreciate any advice, suggestions, opinions etc. about these barrels.  I'd like to have a direct replacement (28" barrel, 1 in 48 twist) and these folks appear to offer what I'm looking for

Any help will be appreciated.

Yep, i've used their barrels a lot of times. Great place to do business with. ALWAYS call and see if they have bigger calibers for the barrel channel width you need. They don't always have everything listed.

Great Jon.  Thanks for the reply.  Do the barrels need to be drilled and tapped for the under-barrel rib? 

Also, is the adjustable rear sight mounted in a dove tail or is it held on with screws?  (too lazy to take it apart and check if myself :)  )

Nope, everything is dovetailed, drilled/tapped as they do at the factory. Just have to blue the barrel and add your under rib, sights, tenon, nipple.

Its a hybrid set up actually. When you remove the sight, there's a screw AND a dovetail insert.

RowdyJoe, is your barrel a 15/16" or 1" across the flats.  Those barrels come up on ebay fairly regular.  Also, I see a few nice rifles on gun Broker.   I'm just saying if you got an original barrel from a near new rifle or a complete rifle you wouldn't have to prep anything to it except put it on your rifle and go shoot.

FrontierGander said:
Nope, everything is dovetailed, drilled/tapped as they do at the factory. Just have to blue the barrel and add your under rib, sights, tenon, nipple.

Its a hybrid set up actually. When you remove the sight, there's a screw AND a dovetail insert.

Excellent.  Thanks again Jon.  Just what I needed to hear.  I'll place one on order Monday after I find out if they have on in stock.

Smokin' Joe said:
RowdyJoe, is your barrel a 15/16" or 1" across the flats.  Those barrels come up on ebay fairly regular.  Also, I see a few nice rifles on gun Broker.   I'm just saying if you got an original barrel from a near new rifle or a complete rifle you wouldn't have to prep anything to it except put it on your rifle and go shoot.
Hi Joe.  Thanks for the tips.
It's 15/16" with a hooked breech and 1 in 48 twist but, I want to go with a new barrel and ensure it's treated correctly right from the start.  The barrel on this rifle is so pitted it's tearing the patches apart as it leaves the muzzle although, it's produced some surprising groups at 50 yds. 
I got this rifle on Gun Broker and it had many warts.  Can't complain though 'cause the price was definitely right.  So far, I've replace the trigger assy. , the lock, and the barrel will be next.   The only original parts left will be the stock, brass furniture, sights, rib, and tenon.  :)

Even after replacing the barrel I'll have less money in it than a new one would cost ...and I've gained a ton of experience working on it.

Glad to hear it, good luck with your barrel! Looking forward to the range report once it is ready.

Thanks Joe. 
I'll try to remember to post progress on getting the barrel ready to shoot and the range report when complete.

No, bought a .50.  I don't plan to hunt with it so, don't see the need right now.  I'll hang on to the old one as I might want to have it bored to a larger cal. some day.  It would be nice to have the choice of two calibers.

Hey Jon.  What should I expect to see when the new barrel arrives?  The pictures on their web site look like the barrels may be stained or rusty on the outside.  Are they?  Will I need to do some sanding to remove any nastyness ?

Probably a little surface rust. Wrap some 100, 150 and 220 grit sand paper around a flat file and hit all the barrel flats to prep them for bluing.

I bought a CVA Mountain pistol kit from Deer Creek. I had to file like crazy to get through the pits that the rust caused while in storage there.

I should have sent it back and requested one with no pits.

FrontierGander said:
Probably a little surface rust. Wrap some 100, 150 and 220 grit sand paper around a flat file and hit all the barrel flats to prep them for bluing.
Ok Jon.  Thanks.

patocazador said:
I bought a CVA Mountain pistol kit from Deer Creek. I had to file like crazy to get through the pits that the rust caused while in storage there.

I should have sent it back and requested one with no pits.

OUCH !  That would not make me happy either. 
You should have returned it as I have no doubt they would have replaced it.  I returned a part due to a broken piece and they didn't hesitate to send a replacement.

I ordered a .54 barrel for my CVA Hawken on Thursday night and it arrived on Saturday. Great service!!

-Joe

Ordered mine on 8/7 and it is on the truck for delivery today (8/10).  They ship fast.  :)

Yeeeee Hawwwww !!  New barrel arrived about an hour ago and it is in excellent condition.  It has some oil/grease on it and in it but, that is easily wiped off.  I ran a dry patch down the barrel and WOW what a difference .....smooooooth.  :)  No rust or stains anywhere.   
Can hardly wait to get it mounted and shooting.  I'm very pleased.

OK, barrel is "blued/blacked" and all parts are installed.  Now I need to get it to the range to sight it in and start the search for best accuracy.  :)

Back