Barrel Browning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have a Kibler woods runner kit and I’d like the barrel brown. I’d like to know what you all think of Cerakote or Duracoat. Duracoat makes a brown color that’s supposed to be pretty close to the original rust browning.

Would this method take away from the original concept to much? I’ve never seen a rust brown that looked very good on some of the ones I’ve seen. I’m not sure I trust myself with the rust browning process. Any ideas or suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Folks,

I have a Kibler woods runner kit and I’d like the barrel brown. I’d like to know what you all think of Cerakote or Duracoat. Duracoat makes a brown color that’s supposed to be pretty close to the original rust browning.

Would this method take away from the original concept to much? I’ve never seen a rust brown that looked very good on some of the ones I’ve seen. I’m not sure I trust myself with the rust browning process. Any ideas or suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

Cerakote? HORRORS! 😂

Have you seen or held any MZ barrels that were Ceracoated in such a color? That alone might answer your question… 💡

I’m not a stickler for “authenticity,” but you’ve got yourself a quality ($$$) kit there. I believe that Kibler’s kits are held in fairly high regard, re: authenticity/“correctness.” I personally wouldn’t dream of Cerakoting the barrel, but it IS yours, to complete as you see fit.

Whether it’s historically correct or not… I usually prefer the look of bluing over browning, so I see your point. .I don’t know the answer to your barrel finishing question, but I’d personally keep looking, beyond the Ceracoat…

I’d also consider paying a professional to brown your barrel. Kind of defeats the DIY purpose of a kit, but maybe it makes sense, as you gain experience. On the other hand… where are you going to GET experience, if not by doing it yourself?

Your rifle, your choice… but I wouldn’t likely consider Ceracoat for this application. (Maybe you’ll Ceracoat your barrel, show it here, and I’ll be convinced- who knows?)

I too was intimidated with the barrel browning process but if you do a little research in the gun builder forum on the trad site you can read many many browning and bluing how to's threads. All come with detailed instructions and if you just follow them faithfully they all work. I used a product called Homer Danglers browning solution. Followed the instructions and had 2 different barrels turn out beautifully. I will caution that after the first couple of applications, your barrel will not look very good. Dont freak out just keep at it. After several applications your barrel will start to develop the correct pantina. You decide when you have reached the look you're after. It's not a one and done process. Takes a couple days.

Thanks guys, I think I’ll do the rust browning technique. There had to be a few shitty ones back in the day so I’ll be in good company.

I think about that sort of thing, from time to time.

No matter how the browning job turns out- is it helping fight corrosion? That’s “Job 1,“ in my book! 👍

I know that within the antique car restorer community (think Ford Model T’s), there’s a school of thought that feels that with modern machining, lubricants, paints, etc. you can “over” restore a vehicle, to “better than new.”

I’m not arguing one way or the other, I just find the idea intriguing.

I have a similar thought, with regard to replica muzzleloaders. I tun my nose up at some of the “junk” out there. (I’ve seen some REALLY crude parts on imported replicas…)

Once a builder/owner starts cleaning up castings, machining marks, etc., the finished product can likely be as good or better than the common person’s gun of a couple hundred years ago.

Some of the replicas I’ve seen (Pedersoli comes to mind) might be better finished/functioning than the originals ever were! They shore are purty!

There are about a million rabbit holes to start going down, in this hobby!

Back