Removable scope? Keep zero?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one of the new Traditions Shedhorn rifles. I would be inclined to use it during the regular ML season with a scope and during the primitive season without one. Is there a way to have a scope on for regular, remove for primitive and not have to re-zero the scope when putting it back on?

I use Warren Rings on my pistols.
they keep zero every time they are removed and re-installed.

I used an Knight MK85 for 12 years with a Leupold QD rings and mount. Always removed the scope when cleaning the rifle. Rifle was dead on and did it's job out to 120 yards. Never had any issues with scope losing zero after remounting.

The only rifles “I’ve” ever known to keep 100% zero after removing and reinstalling a scope are Blasers. Some of my others will and some won’t.

My white super ‘91 came with the usual 3/4” wide aluminum bases, probably made by weaver. I have a brand new set of 30MM warne detachable rings that will not hold zero. I did follow the manufacturer’s directions to the T when installing them. There is also a great video on utube from warne on using this series of rings. I get the gun zeroed at 100 yds, take scope off and replace it, moving it forwards all the way, it shoots 3” high. Did this a few times and lost my faith in them, called warne and they said send them back. That they could not have a product out there that was faulty. Then asked about what the bases were made out of, and said get a set of STEEL bases. Called Marlowe Richards and he said that he did not have any 3/4” bases at this time and maybe in the future as he was working with warne on getting some.. so i need to find a set of steel bases for the super ‘91.. any advice?

I have been shooting Valmet rifle and combo guns for years with detachable scopes for 30 years with zero issues of scopes zero being affected by removing and re installing also Zoli and others

Back