Remington Genesis Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezbagr

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a target from the last outing to the range.The gun is a synthetic thumbhole stock ss barrel genesis topped with a Nikon prostaff
3x9x50 scope. The load is 110 grains of 209-300 grain .452 XTP bullet and
a black regular ez load harvester sabot. This was shot at 100 yards.
Targetpics.jpg

that is some real good shooting. That Genesis is a good rifle.

Great shooting! I also experienced similar results with my Genesis. Mine shot the .44 cal XTP's with Harvester green CR sabots well. I never tried the .45's with black sabots before I sold the rifle. I like the XTP's for the price and good accuracy when shooting targets, but me personally, I wouldn't use them for hunting. I saw a picture of a deer that was shot with a 200g XTP and the exit hole looked like a hand grenade went off next to the deer.

SWThomas said:
I wouldn't use them for hunting. I saw a picture of a deer that was shot with a 200g XTP and the exit hole looked like a hand grenade went off next to the deer.

SWT-

Just wondering where the shot placement was? Either way if that was the EXIT hole, I would say the bullet is VERY effective!

younghunter_86 said:
SWThomas said:
I wouldn't use them for hunting. I saw a picture of a deer that was shot with a 200g XTP and the exit hole looked like a hand grenade went off next to the deer.

SWT-

Just wondering where the shot placement was? Either way if that was the EXIT hole, I would say the bullet is VERY effective!

It was a broad side vital shot. I guess it's pretty affective if you don't mind exploded organs getting all over your meat.

Here's the thread...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=7901

SWThomas said:
Great shooting! I also experienced similar results with my Genesis. Mine shot the .44 cal XTP's with Harvester green CR sabots well. I never tried the .45's with black sabots before I sold the rifle. I like the XTP's for the price and good accuracy when shooting targets, but me personally, I wouldn't use them for hunting. I saw a picture of a deer that was shot with a 200g XTP and the exit hole looked like a hand grenade went off next to the deer.

Not my first choice of a bullet either, but I think we need to compare apples to apples.

The thread you provided was of a deer shot with a .45 calibre rifle and a 200 grain bullet. Bullet caliber wasn't stated but it was probably a 40?

This thread is about a .45 cal 300 grain bullet. A lot slower and would probably hold up just fine on a deer.

That's just my opinion for what THAT's worth :)

CarlV said:
SWThomas said:

Not my first choice of a bullet either, but I think we need to compare apples to apples.

The thread you provided was of a deer shot with a .45 calibre rifle and a 200 grain bullet. Bullet caliber wasn't stated but it was probably a 40?

This thread is about a .45 cal 300 grain bullet. A lot slower and would probably hold up just fine on a deer.

That makes sense. Even though the construction of the bullet is the same, the 300g would be slower and might not fragment on impact. But I'm not willing to bet a deer or hog on it.

SWThomas said:
CarlV said:
SWThomas said:

That makes sense. Even though the construction of the bullet is the same, the 300g would be slower and might not fragment on impact. But I'm not willing to bet a deer or hog on it.
Most would agree, more deer and hogs have been killed w/XTPs than any other bullet. Are there better bullets out there? Of course, but XTPs are more than capable of killing deer and hogs. Barnes isn?t the only bullet that kill game.

Ezbagr, feel confident in your set up. You have a good shooting gun, load and a bullet that has proven itself time and time again. Good luck this year!

XTPs...
They are generally a really good bullet for whitetail and I'd have ZERO problems using them. I have used them and have seen many others use them over the years. Personally, I like them. They come in several weights and velocity ranges. If one keeps the velocity around 1900fps or so, (which is pretty fast for a 300gr bullet) with the .452 300gr #45230 you'll have no problems. 110-120gr should be fine.

I forgot about that thread. Still the picture in it exaggerates the termoil a little bit. The shoulder was cut away to expose the 3 exit holes. The bullet didn't do all of that. I have not had a 200 gr XTP explode into 3 pieces like the one pictured. I'm guessing it has something to do with the shot angle. We don't get to see an entrance hole. Not trying to get picky, but I kind of like the 'ol XTP's and feel like I need to stand up for them. 8)

If I could get an EXIT wound like that through the ribs I would take it every time. If that was an ENTRANCE wound it would be a different story.

Edited to add:
Ezbagr- sorry about getting your thread a little off track. But I'll say this again. Good Shooting!

tnhagies said:
Most would agree, more deer and hogs have been killed w/XTPs than any other bullet. Are there better bullets out there? Of course, but XTPs are more than capable of killing deer and hogs. Barnes isn?t the only bullet that kill game.

Ezbagr, feel confident in your set up. You have a good shooting gun, load and a bullet that has proven itself time and time again. Good luck this year!

Never said Barnes is the only game in town. They are however right up there with Nosler as some of the very best bullets you can fire through a muzzlelaoder. And then you don't have to worry at all about lead contamination. Although a lot of people don't anyway. But my little girl likes deer and hog meat and if I can do something to prevent her from ingesting lead, I'm going to do it. The Barnes being a super accurate and outstanding performing bullet is just a plus.

Latest posts

Back