Red/Green Dot on Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, M48. You're a real hoot to read. Did it escape your notice that I "friended" you on facebook a good while back? We have fun, don't we?

I have installed several red/green dot optics on side lock muzzleloaders for my friends in Arkansas. Back many years ago, Arkansas folded to all of the hunters wanting to use scopes. I'm sure they did their homework so they allowed scopes, no more than 1x. Try to find 1x scopes. Hah. One for Arkansas Wildlife.
I told my buddies at work they could use dot optics. I put a couple on TC Hawkens and after that week, taking several deer, I got 4 more sidelocks to install dot scopes on them. I use a red dot on my black powder pistol and for where I hunt is it great. Also run them on my .460 S&W Encore and 44 mag.
Mike

MMMMM dang it you guys need to stop I have some "experimental" old school CVA`s Buck Horns I play with, Center Point Scopes, BSA ya know kind of cheap knock around, change out experiment with loads. Had never considered red/green dot optics or even laser? back to drawing board see what the mad scientist can cook up. Oh yeah it aint the work, it is the return to wally-world or other "Big Box" cheap section, with all the eyes wet like peaches on me hahahahhahahahahahahahah......BOOP to that hahahahahahahahaha

Oregon has a new entry category for turkey, in the state record book, with a muzzleloader. A friend of mine has a very nice double barrel model and has let me shoot his second barrel after he has taken his bird. I enjoyed it, even with the smoke screen.
I started to watch Youtube videos of guys making their own muzzleloaders out of 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. So I bought a very inexpensive H&R break action 12 gauge and made my own version.
The hard part about trying to get a group to shoot was getting the loose shot past the 3 inch chamber bulge for the 12 gauge shell.
Now the shotgun is fully capable of shooting 12 gauge shells or being loaded down the muzzle with loose components. And I have installed a red/green dot scope to help put the shot on the head area.
hr shotgun.JPG
This particular red/green dot scope was proven to be the best at taking on percussion and abuse by another Youtube sight for models that were less than $40. This whole project was way cheaper than a smooth bore muzzleloader, and fun to build.

I hate it I hate it I hate it, Just when I go and "Get Happy" with actual black powder scopes some young into modern meat head pops up and delivers a whole new money involved Idea that does not totally suck. Lighter red/green dot (than my scopes). Set zero at 100 be 1 inch high at 50. Then again red/green dots do not have cross hairs/mils hold overs.mmmmmmmmmm The ideal of a .500 round ball on laser accuracy it screams more research. Last red dots I looked at trudot for a Ruger Mark II bull nose was early 90s. might just have to pull my head out of blinders and see whats out there..DOH
A revolver is a pistol.
By the By most fail to realize that the revolver is was and for ever will be the first "pistol" that took more than 1 round and was NOT muzzle Loading but eh to each his/her own, I`ll ask what is a Muzzle loading flint lock pistol called? If it is not a pistol? What then is it?

That's just Hanshi's wife's side of the family. he's OK just wrapped a little loose....... :cheers:

Eh I have a few red/green dot, I am not by any means expert or judge for any class of shooting, Just from some research enclosed in a tube form with or without magnification is a scope, an Aperture is open with or without magnification. I have also been lead to believe the regulations vary between the groups of Black Powder Sporting events. Check local and group rules regs.
1624372916620.png
considered a scope
1624372967312.png
Consider Aperture

Back